Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.

diamonddelts

I ordered passives for mine, I couldn't get the xilica to sound right and it added alot of system noise and I couldn't figure out why, it was my first attempt trying an active crossover so total noob here. My plan is to get the passives and also find a ev38 to play with and see how they compair. The ev38 looks more user friendly to me than the xilica.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris A said:

Iain,

Can you describe which active crossover model(s) you've used and how you were dialing in your settings for your room (i.e., how you were doing measurements)? 

Chris

That will teach me to post after Martini's with the girls. Computers need breathalyzers lol.

In my room I have lived with Heresy, Belle, and khorns. These were stock with no crazyness. I did add rugs and curtains and furniture to make it less live but that is it.

I used a DX38 and I also tried ashley xover and eq. I used a computer dsp setup at one point but that was absolutely unbearable. For measurements I used simple ballpark rta nothing crazy. Mainly used my ears and long term listening. I mostly stuck with Roy's settings and didn't deviate.. Actives sound good but something always bothers me about it. This not based on measurements more feeling after long term listening. I can't really english it. I have music running every weekend I am home. I listen a lot. Not scientific I know. Call it nervousa if you wish. I also stick with changes for a long time before switching. It isn't a quick ab more like months of listening. When I switch back to passives every time I find I listen longer.  I also built some line level passive crossovers without eq and tried them as well but I still go back to passives. I also hate all those buttons lol....

All that being said. I would take jubilee's with any of the top hat options any crossovers actives or passives over just about any speaker out there.

If I am crazy I am ok with that 8-)

I was just trying to understand your experiences.  I'm not sure that over the years of talking about crossovers that I understood what you've tried.

One of the biggest impediments to owning Jubilees, I've found, is that the typical user/owner for home environments wants a turn-key solution, or at least a plug-and-play one if they have to buy from two different manufacturers or vendors. 

One of the things that a dealer might be able to provide in terms of value is integrate those things together before shipment, or at least program active crossovers for owner use.  Perhaps even some commercial customers might be willing to pay a bit more to have that done for them. I've seen that business model work well in the trucking industry (C. Jim Stewart & Stevenson), hydraulics, and other heavy industry intermediate suppliers.

The only thing that's left is room mode correction - and most people in smaller listening rooms are using room correction firmware/software (Dirac, Audyssey, YPAO, etc.). That's pretty much turn key.

Chris

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chris A said:

One of the things that a dealer might be able to provide in terms of value is integrate those things together before shipment, or at least program active crossovers for owner use.  Perhaps even some commercial customers might be willing to pay a bit more to have that done for them. I've seen that business model work well in the trucking industry (C. Jim Stewart & Stevenson), hydraulics, and other heavy industry intermediate suppliers.

This!

I know I would pay more for plug and play be it active or a passive that's already programmed. 

1 hour ago, Md5150 said:

I ordered passives for mine, I couldn't get the xilica to sound right and it added a lot of system noise and I couldn't figure out why, it was my first attempt trying an active crossover so total noob here. My plan is to get the passives and also find a ev38 to play with and see how they compare. The ev38 looks more user friendly to me than the xilica.

If there's anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

I've found that the Xilicas really need to be programmed using a computer (using their XConsole application).  The settings that Roy put out for the "BNC DE75" driver need a little tweaking for the newer K-691 driver, but that's not difficult to add after you get the DE75 settings worked out.

Also, if you have experienced a lot of noise, I'd recommend singling up on one electrical outlet and using a large power conditioner/power strip to minimize ground loop issues.  The XLR balanced connections are dead silent for me, even using one XLR-RCA cable pair for connecting the amplifier that's driving my the TAD compression drivers (a First Watt F3 amplifier). 

The DX38 is easier to program in my experience, especially from the front panel than the Xilicas, but I believe that the Xilica performance overshadows the Dx38s.  If you still own the Xilica, think about shooting me a PM and perhaps we can work something out.

Chris

• Like 1

I do own a couple of Dx38s that are in storage right now (I noticed that you added a "WTB" in the Garage section for one), but I do recommend trying out the Xilica at least one more time since I believe that you'll be a happy camper for life it you can get that worked out.

Chris

• Like 1

Md5150,

I was a complete luddite with the active crossover thing.

More than a bit lost, and at the risk of coming off as a bit of a pest, I decided to drop Chris a line and asked for some help.

Once armed with the proper tools... REW software and  a miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone, and Chris's expertise,

I was able to get things sounding very good after and afternoon of running sweeps and emailing the results to Chris.

Chris did his magic making the crossover profile and sent me back the settings and then I entered the data on my XP-4080 via the XConsole.

I am very please with the sound and can't thank Chris enough for all his patience and help!!! :D

• Like 2

Few have really thanked Tom for the eye candy of his Jub bass bins. 

They're beautiful, Tom.  And just a little bit of work there, too. Enjoy!

Chris

Chris,

thank you for the offer to help me out with the crossover settings, I don't have the xilica anymore but after I get my passives I'll have a baseline to go by what the jubilee's should sound like. I do plan on giving active another shot and when I do i would really appreciate any help you could give me!

Mike.

7 hours ago, Md5150 said:

I ordered passives for mine, I couldn't get the xilica to sound right and it added alot of system noise and I couldn't figure out why, it was my first attempt trying an active crossover so total noob here. My plan is to get the passives and also find a ev38 to play with and see how they compair. The ev38 looks more user friendly to me than the xilica.

I'm using 3 way passive with my Jubes now. At first I was not impressed at all. However after doing some minor eq work with a equalizer I am loving these speakers. Definitely my favorite speaker for music out of any speaker I've owned already. Feels like I am at a live show now.

• Like 2

I am normally a purist who prefers not to use any eq at all. I know that is not preferential since each room is different. So using a equalizer I've been doing minor adjustments between 600hz up to 10,000khz.  To be honest, I've never heard a speaker with such overpowering mids out of the box. I mean the mids from the K402 horns without eq feel like they literally 6 inches away from my face and blasting me. The highs and upper mids were a little hot and sounded like they were shouting treble at me.

So I went and did some trimming of the mids between -1 up to -3db in the 250 to 4,000khz range. The mids are still there and very prominent. However they are no longer outpacing the highs and lows at this point. The sound is much more cohesive now. Very smooth from top to bottom.

I did some +2db boosting in the 25hz to 100hz bass range which has added depth to the Jube's bass without It become overbearing and calling attention to itself.  I also did a slight +1 boost in the 16,000khz range. These speakers now sound poised, tight, loud, with banging mids and a accentuated top end. I feel like I am beginning to tame the horn loaded tweeter now which no longer has the shouting sensation.

Highs are now more defined, prominent, but blending with mids and low mid bass with a seamless sound at this point. I am very impressed. This is what I expected to hear when I first purchased the Jubes. But I had to do some tuning by ear to get the sound I wanted. I'm loving these speakers now.

Very good separation between mids and highs now. Which is the KEY reason I upgraded to these speakers. This is the level of separation between mids and highs I just could not achieve in all of my other two way speakers I previously owned.

Definitely money well spent. Love them, love them!

45 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

using 3 way passive with my Jubes now. At first I was not impressed at all. However after doing some minor eq work with a equalizer I am loving these speakers. Definitely my favorite speaker for music out of any speaker I've owned already. Feels like I am at a live show now.

That was how I did many of the klipsch Pro Setups I had.   

• 4 weeks later...

I have a quick question. I'm having  an issue understanding the spec sheet for the Klipsch 535-B Jubilee when it comes to power requirements. I'm trying to figure out what is the most power I can safely feed  these speakers. I've heard some pro audio guys state a amp should be able to deliver double the power of a speaker's power specs for peaks, etc.

I know these speakers are fairly efficient, however I am a high power amp guy. I don't use low power amps where I have to crank the speakers for good dynamics with HT and music. So  I never bother with any amps below 500 watts per channel @8 ohms. 

However I am wondering if I can safely use a 1000 watt per channel @8 ohms amp with these speakers?

10 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I have a quick question. I'm having  an issue understanding the spec sheet for the Klipsch 535-B Jubilee when it comes to power requirements. I'm trying to figure out what is the most power I can safely feed  these speakers. I've heard some pro audio guys state a amp should be able to deliver double the power of a speaker's power specs for peaks, etc.

I know these speakers are fairly efficient, however I am a high power amp guy. I don't use low power amps where I have to crank the speakers for good dynamics with HT and music. So  I never bother with any amps below 500 watts per channel @8 ohms. 

However I am wondering if I can safely use a 1000 watt per channel @8 ohms amp with these speakers?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. It says 1200 watts on my bass bins. I've been told the woofers are only 150 a piece so 300-400 max? I don't get it. I blew a cap on my brand new passive jub crossovers playing one song loud with my itech 4000 on the bins, yet my cornscala's take that power for hours at a time. I'm kinda screwed, ive had jubs now for almost 2 months and been unable to enjoy them. Passives are going back to be rebuilt with better caps and hopefully that will be it, if that doesn't work I'll have to buy a laptop and try active again, or sell them.