Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.

diamonddelts

No they have no bass boost circuit. I use a Mcintosh c50 preamp for eq. The bass bins sounded good with no eq needed until the cap exploded, but I did have to eq the 402 horn alot with my pre, I had to turn down 1k and 2.5k down as far as my pre allows and 10k down about half way.

45 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

No they have no bass boost circuit. I use a Mcintosh c50 preamp for eq. The bass bins sounded good with no eq needed until the cap exploded, but I did have to eq the 402 horn alot with my pre, I had to turn down 1k and 2.5k down as far as my pre allows and 10k down about half way.

I'm so jealous....I've dreamed of using that pre or the C48 and using the built in EQ to manage the necessary balancing of the K402.

Maybe it was just a bad cap.  Did you ever hear the LF section "bottom out" or the sound of the cone hitting the baffle.  

Just so you know, I have Cornscalas too with Crites cast frame woofers.  I use a network with a fuse inline with the low pass section of that network  We had a party a month or so ago and I blew one of those fuses.  Saved a woofer I guess.

1 hour ago, jwc said:

I'm so jealous....I've dreamed of using that pre or the C48 and using the built in EQ to manage the necessary balancing of the K402.

Maybe it was just a bad cap.  Did you ever hear the LF section "bottom out" or the sound of the cone hitting the baffle.  

Just so you know, I have Cornscalas too with Crites cast frame woofers.  I use a network with a fuse inline with the low pass section of that network  We had a party a month or so ago and I blew one of those fuses.  Saved a woofer I guess.

I love the c50pre, of all the gear in my rack thats my favorite, I like it more than my mc452 amp.

I never heard the woofer bottom out at all, it sounded like they where moving a bit when I put some juice to them, my amp was going between -20 and -10 db when the cap went but I did notice the resistors on the board where getting extremely hot.  I then swopped in my mc452 amp to see if 450 wpc would also make the resistors get hot and they did. I didn't want to     chance blowing anything on that crossover board so I just disconnected the jubilee's.

One thing I did with my Cornscala's  is I replaced the woofers with the k48 for better power handling and I think they sound way better at high volume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Md5150 said:

if that doesn't work I'll have to buy a laptop and try active again, or sell them.

I would be happy to program the DSP you sent back.  Yes a laptop would be best if possible.  You could probably set it up via that front panel but it would be a PITA at best.  With a laptop you could even import a file from other guys that have this unit and have a good starting point.  I'm going to start sending them out with the basic approved settings in them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Md5150 said:

Your experience mirrors mine. The K402 horn blasts mids in my face without some serious eq trimming in the 1k to 10k range.

• Like 1

The bass bins sounded good with no eq needed until the cap exploded

Wow...If there ever were a candidate for active crossovers, I'd pick your application. 

If you've had trouble programming or gain staging an active crossover beforehand,  I'd be willing to provide support from afar. If you need references, you can talk to others that I've helped with this very same issue: RSVRMAN, AaronB123, HPower, Cantilope, etc.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Md5150 said:

I love the c50pre, of all the gear in my rack thats my favorite, I like it more than my mc452 amp.

I never heard the woofer bottom out at all, it sounded like they where moving a bit when I put some juice to them, my amp was going between -20 and -10 db when the cap went but I did notice the resistors on the board where getting extremely hot.  I then swopped in my mc452 amp to see if 450 wpc would also make the resistors get hot and they did. I didn't want to     chance blowing anything on that crossover board so I just disconnected the jubilee's.

One thing I did with my Cornscala's  is I replaced the woofers with the k48 for better power handling and I think they sound way better at high volume.

I love this too............:D.

• Like 1

.........to see if 450 wpc would also make the resistors get hot

What really sucks is that you live in Maine.  A man that hooks up McIntosh power to test a resistor......I need to drink a few Beers over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Wow...If there ever were a candidate for active crossovers, I'd pick your application. 

If you've had trouble programming or gain staging an active crossover beforehand,  I'd be willing to provide support from afar. If you need references, you can talk to others that I've helped with this very same issue: RSVRMAN, AaronB123, HPower, Cantilope, etc.

Chris

Chris, I am definitely going to accept your offer to help me out with the active setup. I'll message you later tonight when I'm home from work with a few options I have. 

Thanks, Mike.

5 hours ago, Md5150 said:

That I am! I finally have a room where no one will complain when things get loud.

You keep playing with that kind of horsepower and soon things will get quiet......  veryyyyyyyyyyyy quiet.

I've certainly had my moments of playing things loud...  but they'll drive you out of the room if you start to approach their limits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

what would be the best speaker/room turner to use that can be supported by forum members?

If you mean active crossovers, the most common in use is probably the DX-38 followed by (no idea of how many) Xilica, Ashley, Yamaha

If you don't mean active crossovers, disregard my comment.

I heard back from another member who suggested REW, sorry my question was not clear - and after doing more reading realized it was talked about on this thread earlier. So also realized a lot of three way stuff is going on and I am looking at the Xilica XP-4080 so it can be expanded beyond 2 way, if needed.

I'll read more before I jump into the middle of a conversation sorry about that too. Thanks for the feedback and let me know if REW is not a good choice.

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

Chris

Yes, I can fully endorse the high value of Chris's kindness in lending his expertise!!!

A few months ago Chris helped me set up my home brew Jubs and Xilica Xover.

As it turned out, just as I was getting ready to set the Jub'likes up, I noticed my bass amp (Classe CA-150 ) was acting up

to the point were I needed to send it out for what turned out to be a major repair. :o

Anxious to hear the fruits of my labour I swapped in a Crown XLS1500 and with Chris's help we got things sounding pretty darn good.

A couple weeks ago I finally got my CA-150 back from my tech, as good or better than new. :D

I dropped Chris a line and we did a couple more sweeps to adjust the gain differences in the bass amps, as well as 

some value added adjustments to the Xover profile and I can say I that these things are sounding truly fantastic!!!

Thanks again Chris! 

• Like 2