Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.

diamonddelts

The triangular gusset supports look to me to be assembly aids...because they introduce small acoustic impedance bounce sources in the horn path.  These look like they're probably too small to measure any acoustically significant effects, but maybe just noticeable at the highest midbass or midrange frequencies (i.e., 400-500 Hz). 

• Klipsch Employees
6 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I can confirm that mine do not have the three triangle braces.  Otherwise it looks identical.  Mine were the first pair of the new build style but apparently there's been some minor revisions since then.  Mine just have the square dowel that goes all the way back.  

I'd be interested to know why that was added and whether it really affects the sound.  Typically small'ish corner braces like that are added on a standard box to keep the box from flying apart.  If you want to brace it due to panel resonances, it's closer to the center.  

Those are also pretty close to that seam where the angle changes, which would be stronger.  Just seems like if it were for bracing due to audible panel resonances it would be centered.  

Did it so the cabinets guys wouldn't cuss me out. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Schu said:

I don't like holes...

Some holes are good, like doughnut holes... They are only on the exit of the horn shelves, I was able to stick my finger in them and they completely sealed from the inner pathway...

17 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

You haven't been paying attention. 

As many times I've seen them, I guess I should've layed on the floor and looked-up inside.   Not very astute of me.

When they were in the barn at Bodcaw, they sounded very punchy and authoritative...more than I remembered before.  I was hearing them before you added the Sub in the middle.....which frankly didn't "add" as much bass as I was assuming either.

Roy, were you using the standard PEQ's or "boost" on the LF's during that demo?  Nothing new there?

jc

12 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Measure them and see.....or you could take my word for it. 

I will take your word for it............But you didn't actually say.  Obviously no change in sound.  I like a stronger cabinet.  I have been in MCM land far away from Jubs.  But I have new interest.  :D

• Klipsch Employees
On May 21, 2017 at 6:48 PM, jwc said:

As many times I've seen them, I guess I should've layed on the floor and looked-up inside.   Not very astute of me.

When they were in the barn at Bodcaw, they sounded very punchy and authoritative...more than I remembered before.  I was hearing them before you added the Sub in the middle.....which frankly didn't "add" as much bass as I was assuming either.

Roy, were you using the standard PEQ's or "boost" on the LF's during that demo?  Nothing new there?

jc

Yes. And nothing new there. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Jubilees are breaking in now. Bass is much improved. I was using a +2 boost in the 40hz to 100hz frequencies but now they no longer need it. The biggest lesson I have learned about these speakers is they deliver a lot of excess mids which will pound a room into submission if they are not tamed.

I have never had a speaker which I had to cut the mids before. However the Jubes give out such a powerful midrange, they will drown out the treble and bass making the music sound muddied, convoluted, and just plain inaccurate.

Once I did a -3db cut from 600hz up to 3.5khz, the clarity and midrange definition really came alive. I love a prominent, defined midrange. However I don't like overbearing mids which overwhelm the treble so I like my mids slightly recessed.

However holding back on mids is a slippery slope. Too much mid trim and the midrange will sound recessed and distant. Not enough mid trim and the mids "shout at you" and overwhelm the treble and bass.

The Jubes have the strongest midrange out of any speaker I have heard or owned. And I love the three way configuration because I am not giving up treble performance in the higher frequencies in exchange for lower mid performance like I have been forced to do with my previous two way speakers.

These speakers will mercilessly expose any weaknesses up the chain such as a low quality dac, low quality recordings, low quality amplifier, etc. They sound their best in a open room at least 20 feet deep or bigger with high ceilings. They project a large wall of sound.

I thought the 510 horn emitting treble above my head might be a problem but it has been no issue at all. The mids and treble of these speakers envelop a room easily.
They sound great both on and off axis. I can't say enough how much I really, REALLY love these speakers. 

They are definitely a worthy end to my long, expensive, and arduous speaker journey.

• Like 1