Looks like I might be sticking with Klipsch

Kain

I know I started a thread that I might be moving to Meyer Sound but unless I receive some sort of significant discount, I don't think I'll be able to spring for them. As a result, I've put together the following setup and will appreciate and comments/opinions/changes you might suggest.

Projector: *still deciding*
Screen: 100" (diagonal) 16:9 Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 100
Ultra HD Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203
Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA Gen3 3-channel (for LCR) + Emotiva XPA Gen3 4-channel (for side and back surrounds) + Emotiva XPA Gen3 4-channel (for four ceiling speakers)
Mains: 2 x Klipsch RF-7 III
Center: 1 x Klipsch RC-64 III
Side surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-160M
Back surrounds: 2 x Klipsch RP-160M
Ceiling speakers: 4 x Klipsch RP-160M
Subwoofers: 2 x Seaton Sound SubMersive HPi+ + 2 x Seaton Sound SubMersive HP-Slave

Few questions...

1. How can I mount the RP-160M to a concrete ceiling without having to drill holes into them to secure them to a speaker mount?

2. Will there be a RF-7 III/RC-64 III level bookshelf speaker coming out soon? Right now, there is just the RP-160M at the top end. Will it be a good match with the upcoming RF-7 III and RC-64 III?

• Like 1

You have a nice Klipsch system.  Nothing wrong with the speaker or gear.  Enjoy.  Sometimes wanting all the latest is not necessarily better.  An RF 7's system is kick butt no matter what generation!

As for suggestion, if you are into movies, get a projector and big screen,  Heck, get if you are mostly into 2 channel only.  A video presentation goes along way in capturing the artist meaning for a song.  Sometime people keep chasing speakers when other aspect of a system can be enhanced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thisgsx said:

When are the 7iii and 64ciii supposed to come out?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Around summer or fall.

5 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

You have a nice Klipsch system.  Nothing wrong with the speaker or gear.  Enjoy.  Sometimes wanting all the latest is not necessarily better.  An RF 7's system is kick butt no matter what generation!

As for suggestion, if you are into movies, get a projector and big screen,  Heck, get if you are mostly into 2 channel only.  A video presentation goes along way in capturing the artist meaning for a song.  Sometime people keep chasing speakers when other aspect of a system can be enhanced.

I've had these speakers since 2003 and I'm looking to refresh everything. The new stuff might not be a major step-up but still would prefer to get the new stuff. And yes, the new setup will have a projector + screen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kain said:

1. How can I mount the RP-160M to a concrete ceiling without having to drill holes into them to secure them to a speaker mount?

Curious as to how you came up with the idea to use these for Atmos ceiling speakers. :)  Personally I would take CDT-5800-C-II's and build a custom box for them.  If you don't like those then get the bookshelves and tear them apart and do something similar with the drivers.  If you made a shallow box you could just bolt them to the ceiling through the driver cutout.  All you need is a hammer drill then use a Tapcon self tapping concrete screw.  At that point just mount the drivers like in any other ceiling.  

13 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Curious as to how you came up with the idea to use these for Atmos ceiling speakers. :)  Personally I would take CDT-5800-C-II's and build a custom box for them.  If you don't like those then get the bookshelves and tear them apart and do something similar with the drivers.  If you made a shallow box you could just bolt them to the ceiling through the driver cutout.  All you need is a hammer drill then use a Tapcon self tapping concrete screw.  At that point just mount the drivers like in any other ceiling.  

You gonna sell this guy the first pair of rf-7iii??? Pre order pre order pre order!!!! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I like that custom box idea. Is it possible to buy a pre-built box that is designed for this purpose (to mount in-ceiling speakers without them being in-ceiling)?

Secondly, what is the max SPL capability of the RP-160M and CDT-5800-C II?

2 hours ago, Kain said:

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I like that custom box idea. Is it possible to buy a pre-built box that is designed for this purpose (to mount in-ceiling speakers without them being in-ceiling)?

Generally speaking there's flatpacks and whatnot for certain speakers like the ones below but not specifically for these speakers that I'm aware.  There's some metal enclosures but they weren't designed to be exposed out in the room, it's for going behind a false ceiling.  

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/volt-8lx/v-8-ported-flat-pack.html

• Moderators
On 3/9/2017 at 8:40 AM, RoboKlipsch said:

attach to ceiling with straps

That's funny, but I am just crazy enough to try that, 1/4" metal straps for forte's. Been there for years now, perfect positioning no, good enough yes.

DSC_3006_1483.JPG

• Like 1

Why go thru the trouble of a custom box build.  The In-ceiling or in-wall speakers for Klipsch are design for just that.  No need to try and make everything better, you will never hear it since the surrounds are not the primary speakers or focus.  They will do fine in their role.  I have a total of 6 in-ceiling and in-wall speakers and there is no way I'm going back an making custom boxes for them,  It's not that important.  

I started with box speaker in the surround spot and have a good reference for comparison.

6 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Why go thru the trouble of a custom box build.  The In-ceiling or in-wall speakers for Klipsch are design for just that.  No need to try and make everything better, you will never hear it since the surrounds are not the primary speakers or focus.  They will do fine in their role.  I have a total of 6 in-ceiling and in-wall speakers and there is no way I'm going back an making custom boxes for them,  It's not that important.  

I started with box speaker in the surround spot and have a good reference for comparison.

Because he has a concrete ceiling and usually those are pretty danged thick as far as I am aware, so unless you are really good with a jackhammer, I don't know how else he's going to get those things into the ceiling without making a custom box and bolting it to the surface.  If I'm missing something and you know of a better way, please elaborate.  The only other alternative would be to use the upfiring modules.  

• Like 1

It is unusual to have a concrete ceiling to say the lease.  The key factor of in-ceiling or in-wall is to have enough clearance.  Only he can decide on that point.  Boxes in general are not the most productive solution to putting in these type of speakers.  If the concrete is a problem, just mount some speakers on the ceiling.  This does not have to be a hard project to get a grip on.  

This guy must live in a bunker?  He has more problems than the concrete ceiling for good sound production.  I totally missed where he said the ceiling is concrete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

It is unusual to have a concrete ceiling to say the lease.  The key factor of in-ceiling or in-wall is to have enough clearance.  Only he can decide on that point.  Boxes in general are not the most productive solution to putting in these type of speakers.  If the concrete is a problem, just mount some speakers on the ceiling.  This does not have to be a hard project to get a grip on.  

This guy must live in a bunker?  He has more problems than the concrete ceiling for good sound production.  I totally missed where he said the ceiling is concrete.

I live in Dubai and all houses are made of concrete.

For this new home theater, I'll be investing in acoustical treatments and carpeting the floor. Hopefully that will help with the room issues.

On another note, I am also considering the following audio setup from Seaton Sound.

Mains: 2 x Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C with matching stands

Center: 1 x Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C

Side surrounds: 2 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

Back surrounds: 2 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

Ceiling speakers: 4 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

Subwoofers: 2 x Seaton Sound SubMersive HPi+ + 2 x Seaton Sound SubMersive HP-Slave

One advantage of the Seaton Sound Spark speaker is that there is a mounting bracket available to mount it to walls and ceilings. Will makes things a lot simpler for me. Plus, Seaton Sound speakers sound awesome based on everything I've read and heard.

Nothing against going that way.  I gathered that you did not live in a regular topic house of the US and that can work to you advantage.  The room will be more dead but, re-enforce sound and minimize waste thru diffusion.  Keep us abreast on how things are going.  You have the potential for a great sound system with the right considerations.  Kain, you have been hear for a while and I am sure you will come up with a good plan.

• Like 1

CECAA850 pointed me to Klipsch Pro speakers (specifically the KI-396-SMA-II) in my other thread. This got me thinking and researching Klipsch Pro speakers...

Anyone here have experience with Klipsch Pro speakers? What if I consider the following for my (roughly) 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high room. I can't go for the Klipsch Cinema line because the speakers are too large for my room.

Mains: 2 x Klipsch KI-362-SMA-II
Center: 1 x Klipsch KI-362-SMA-II
Side surrounds: 2 x Klipsch KI-262-SMA-II
Back surrounds: 2 x Klipsch KI-262-SMA-II
Ceiling speakers: 4 x Klipsch KI-102-SMA-II

In summary, it is a 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X setup. The reason I went with the Klipsch KI-362-SMA-II instead of the KI-396-SMA-II is because you can rotate the horn and position the speaker horizontally. I don't have an AT screen and will position the center speaker above or below the screen.

Any recommendation for high-powered amps? I am thinking something from the Crown line of amps. However, there is a huge selection and I really have no clue which ones I need. Any pointers?

How would this setup compare to something equivalent from JTR or Seaton Sound? Two advantages of the Klipsch setup is that it is cheaper and I have a local dealer (provides a little peace of mind and ease in case of warranty work).

Lastly, will the Klipsch Cinema line sound better for movies and the like when compared to the Klipsch Pro speakers mentioned above or does that not matter?

I have attached the price list for Klipsch Pro line. I think it is from 2015. I found it online.

Klipsch.xlsx

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 2:49 AM, Kain said:

I live in Dubai and all houses are made of concrete.

For this new home theater, I'll be investing in acoustical treatments and carpeting the floor. Hopefully that will help with the room issues.

On another note, I am also considering the following audio setup from Seaton Sound.

Mains: 2 x Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C with matching stands

Center: 1 x Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C

Side surrounds: 2 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

Back surrounds: 2 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

Ceiling speakers: 4 x Seaton Sound Spark XC2 + SSA-2x2-XC amp

One advantage of the Seaton Sound Spark speaker is that there is a mounting bracket available to mount it to walls and ceilings. Will makes things a lot simpler for me. Plus, Seaton Sound speakers sound awesome based on everything I've read and heard.

I love Klipsch but Mark makes some damn fine speakers and his subs are insane. I only have his amplifiers for my subs but they have been rock stable and awesome. I can't say enough good things about the things he builds.