Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Question for the TT experts out there...

Is it OK to use my stereo cartridge/stylus to play mono LP's from the 1950s? Can I hurt anything doing this? or do I need two different setups, one for stereo and one for mono?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Endo said:

Question for the TT experts out there...

Is it OK to use my stereo cartridge/stylus to play mono LP's from the 1950s? Can I hurt anything doing this? or do I need two different setups, one for stereo and one for mono?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Great question, I truely can't recall the answer. I know Ive heard this question before.

• Like 1

Hello Endo, and welcome to Full Range's vinyl playing forum!  :)

I can answer your question............  You can play MONO just fine with your current TT/Cart setup without any damage to your stylus or cartridge.  Feel free to enjoy ;)

• Like 3

Yes, yes Novisnick............LOVE the RP-6......and as you see, we have the same color...  :emotion-21:   There are some things that I found with the turntable, and the major one is the 'wobble' in the ABS molded 'subplatter' which you may have noticed.   All the RP-6's have this and I was not happy.   Rega says it is within limits of THEIR specification...   Ok...

Did some research and found 'Groove Tracers'....   A fellow that loved machining things.   And developed his OWN sub platters out of SOLID billet aluminum and made within fine tolerances..   So, I bought the model built for the rp-6.  The bearings are ALL jewel and jewel surfaces.  

After installation, no more wobble, perfectly true and straight running.   Here is a photo I just took....IMG_5825.jpg

• Like 3

.....and a closeup.....   You will notice that the factory original is just ABS plastic with an aluminum 'cap' to make it look good....   Here is a good close-up of the Groove Tracer sub platter itself.....all one solid piece...

Highly recommended !  IMG_5824.jpg

• Like 2

Hey there 420...............what are the chances that I meet up with some fellow vinyl spinners with a Rega and Dual ?   Both of which are sitting side by side here in the 'Hall' !

Looks like an interesting play there for sure...........and the vino is ??

Well, it is after midnight here on the east coast and now heading for bed...  more tomorrow evening...

Good night my friends.....and enjoy the rest of your evening......-_-IMG_5826.jpg

• Like 2