Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

18 hours ago, Full Range said:

@billybob

Rush is a great band 

My take on them is that they are a prog version of Black Sabbath 

And with Mr. Neil Pert a mathematical percussion perfection that keeps them in line!

Never thought of comparing the two, but yea maybe kinda like Bowie-d, Wakeman-esqe Sabbath without the eye shadow?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

And with Mr. Neil Pert a mathematical percussion perfection that keeps them in line!

Never thought of comparing the two, but yea maybe kinda like Bowie-d, Wakeman-esqe Sabbath without the eye shadow?

Black Sabbath going prog.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:44 AM, Full Range said:

@billybob

Rush is a great band 

My take on them is that they are a prog version of Black Sabbath 

May I recommend the Rush Chronicles as a fantastic compilation ( I have it on Digital Media ) 

That Bloodrock 3 (Texas band) is what I would, and others have considered as an American Black Sabbath sound. Takeaway or add the organ. By the time you hit the 4th song, you may or may not agree on the comparison.

Now Rush I have never thought near as much a fair analogy but, have not listened to all Rush. In the 69=70's time era, there was a band called Purple Underground I saw a couple of times in Orlando when living there that as may recall was haunted but flat out rocked as well. Looked on the tube but saw not the PU I am thinking about. Unless I am totally off on recall, there was another band in Florida by the name of Rush but, guess could have been the same. Would have to check when the big Rush, we all know and some love was created.

Thanks...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Thanks for that too...:emotion-21:

• Like 2

On 8/19/2017 at 9:37 AM, MookieStl said:

I have always been a big Pavlov's Dog fan. They were a local band here in St. Louis (they were mostly from a small burb next to south StL called Maplewood). Glad to see they reached halfway across the world too. The album is very well done and every song is strong in its own right. Not sure why they never made it bigger. Signed a large two album deal and then faded away. Used to do a few reunion concerts from time to time and I believe the lead singer, David Surkamp still lives in the area. I bought an original pressing that was used for promotional purposes (given to radio stations etc) of their first lp as I had heard them in concert and loved the sound.

APD3.thumb.jpg.4f3ef4fcd80f3ec4e5c501b8819d3724.jpg

Never heard of this band, but am enjoying what I hear.  Music is sort of like professional baseball.  There are many talented individuals, but only a few make it to the top.  The difference between AAA and the show is small.

Who is the lead singer on Julia?  Also, Spotify lists a song as Subway Sue but it sounds like the singer is singing, "someday soon," which is it?  Never mind, the Internet explains all.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Never heard of this band, but am enjoying what I hear.  Music is sort of like professional baseball.  There are many talented individuals, but only a few make it to the top.  The difference between AAA and the show is small.

Who is the lead singer on Julia?  Also, Spotify lists a song as Subway Sue but it sounds like the singer is singing, "someday soon," which is it?  Never mind, the Internet explains all.

yeah, I think a little luck comes into play as well. As others have noted, Pavlov's Dog sounded a lot like RUSH, who went on to stardom. Not really sure who came first as they started at around the same time, but I was aware of PD long before I heard Rush due to them being a local band (to me). Like Rush, the musicians in the band were very talented. Maybe all the disharmony within the band made Columbia give up on them after two albums. Who knows. There was another local band that did the same thing, two albums and out, Mama's Pride, another one of my favorites. They too were real close but never broke out (stayed in AAA as Diz would say) They did have a few bad breaks as they had just signed to open several venues for Lynyrd Skynyrd right before the plane crash. That would have given them some good exposure. They put out a lot of great music on just two lp's (and one 45)

• Like 4

Rush "Presto". This was first Rush record to be released after I was "aware" of who they were. It was kind of difficult to be on a high school drum line and not have someone offer you a little Rush. I heard them before this but never really listened.

On this album, they started to drift away from the synth heavier stuff that was on some of the previous records. Also, the first time I saw Rush was for this tour. 

IMG_0979.JPG

• Like 5