Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

9 minutes ago, richieb said:

Hey Full Range

i follow this thread from afar and note you enjoy King Crimson? Will you recommend a few of your favorites leaning to the jazz/fusion slant? And available on disc, no vinyl here. Thanks

OMG.  No vinyl in a vinyl thread.  shame, just shame.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Jazz/fusion---try the Return to Forever lp's, er, cd's. The first two, return to forever and light as a feather might be a little too much on the jazz side, but with Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy and beyond,  it is full on jazz fusion almost prog.  If you are not familiar, check them out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Hey Full Range

i follow this thread from afar and note you enjoy King Crimson? Will you recommend a few of your favorites leaning to the jazz/fusion slant? And available on disc, no vinyl here. Thanks

In order for the style you asked for ( all or any of the following) but they are more prog and you will like the overall tone 

In The Court Of The Crimson King 

The Young Persons Guide To King Crimson ( its a great compilation) 

In The Wake Of Poseidon 

Lizard

Starless And Bible Black 

Compact King Crimson ( a compilation)

For other artists for jazz fussion 

Try Chick Corea

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Jazz/fusion---try the Return to Forever lp's, er, cd's. The first two, return to forever and light as a feather might be a little too much on the jazz side, but with Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy and beyond,  it is full on jazz fusion almost prog.  If you are not familiar, check them out. 

Funny how you mention my request in a vinyl thread and recommend RtF/Chick Corea etc. and yes I am familier and probably have three or four of those - On Vinyl! But alas arm/carts are gone from table and there is no going back for me. That is one hifi rabbit hole I refuse  to enter. But thanks and will entertain all recommendations 

• Like 2

Appreciate each and every suggestion. I heard a killer King C tune today on Internet radio and thought to ask. All others mentioned including Weather Report, I think I have three or four, I have been onto since the 70's/80's. I was into hifi since then and hung with a diverse group of "hip" music lover/musicians and heard a lot of cutting edge stuff in the day.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, richieb said:

Appreciate each and every suggestion. I heard a killer King C tune today on Internet radio and thought to ask. All others mentioned including Weather Report, I think I have three or four, I have been onto since the 70's/80's. I was into hifi since then and hung with a diverse group of "hip" music lover/musicians and heard a lot of cutting edge stuff in the day.

Artists / bands or records of note in the Jass fussion space 

You have a good knowledge of what’s about but fingers crossed I have given you something different in the list below 

Earthworks ( Bill Bruford ) 

Patric Moraz & Bill Bruford collaborations 

Allan Holdsworth 

John Klemmer 

John Serry 

Jakob Magnússon

Tony Williams 

George Duke

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Artists / bands or records of note in the Jass fussion space 

You have a good knowledge of what’s about but fingers crossed I have given you something different in the list below 

Earthworks ( Bill Bruford ) 

Patric Moraz & Bill Bruford collaborations 

Allan Holdsworth 

John Klemmer 

John Serry 

Jakob Magnússon

Thanks Range

Heard of Earthworks, never heard any tunes

Have an old John Klemmer and funny, just listened to it yesterday !

And now a couple you might check on - 

Manu Katche , Playground

Manu Katche , Neighborhood

Tomasz Stanko , Suspended Night

All on ECM and Tremendous recordings. Katche is a phenominal drummer, Stanko the same on trumpet.

Really these ECM recordings are some of the best I've heard, great dynamics and range. The Katche discs with volume can lift you out of your chair. Check em -  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1