Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Lol, I have a good imagination.

Spent 4 hours yesterday just to sell  a craigslist deal local. Dud had large Akai speakers that sounded pretty decent now. Some Kappa.6.1 that sounded well, alright. Some baby advents and amazingly to me, some Mordaunt Short monitor hooked to his Pioneer PL-518 TT powered by an 80 wpc simple Audiosource through a mixer. After hearing a new to me group through diff.. gear the TT playing a mintish Aja lp never sounded finer to me. He offered to let me thumb through his stack but, I was so mortified by the condition of the covers, that I passed it  up due to envy on my part. You just never know, and yes, we had much in common. What a hoot!

• Like 2

Here you go @dirtmudd

I won’t tell the gang, who prompted me to search for this information 

Thorens TD 125, EMT 928 and Thorens Reference. What is the story here? Well, they are siblings. 

It all started with the TD 125. After the company had been relocated from Switzerland to Germany and the old top model TD 124 was discontinued and the new TD 150 was the entry level offering only Thorens presented the TD 125 as the new top model in 1968. The complex mechanism of the motor to step pulley to idler wheel was simplified by a direct transmission of the motor spinning to the platter via a belt. Given the speed adjustment via magnetic brake wasn’t possible anymore the engineers moved to a synchronous motor and a wien bridge oscillator to adjust the speed. As we all know the TD 125 was a very successful model and remains still underrated to the date. 

The next step was that EMT needed a more affordable turntable compared to its than current entry level model EMT 930. Given EMT and Thorens were under one roof they took the Thorens 125 and transformed it to the EMT 928. This new table was launched in early 1971 and was the first EMT to use the 929 tonearm. In order to be fit for radio station needs they moved from a two phase synchronous motor in the 125 to a three phase model from Berger. If you compare the motor driving circuit from the 125 with the 928 you can easily spot similarities. Although EMT aficionados sniff with their nose when asked about the 928 I have heard the statement of a technician servicing all EMT models for radio stations that the 928 was the only one he could enjoy music with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2018 at 5:39 PM, JohnJ said:

Our good Ohio mailman rings the doorbell sometimes, that's nice with the house to myself for a couple of days. Starting off with the studio tracks, if the puck doesn't drop too early on me I'll get to the one I've been looking forward to.

Untitled.jpg

On 5/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, dirtmudd said:

Your killing me.... I need some b.o.c.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:47 PM, JohnJ said:

We ALL need a little BOC every now and then...

my favorite NYC band!

Unfortunately the LP has that dead sound... bleh

Agents of Fortune sounds good!

On 5/7/2018 at 5:56 PM, dirtmudd said:

I was just looking for ... The 1979

Rock bill...mirrors tour... When I seen

Them on Sept 29, 79..

Can't find it.. But I did post it before..

On 5/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, JohnJ said:

Yep, we've talked about that before Mike. The good memories last.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:07 PM, dirtmudd said:

I did see them in last ... In 96 at rainforest preserve .. A local live bar

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blue-oyster-cult/1996/captain-trips-rainforest-preserve-utica-ny-3cdf96b.html

On 5/7/2018 at 6:10 PM, dirtmudd said:

Found it !

IMG_20180523_080950.jpg

• Like 5

That's cool Mike. I like the energy coming from their hands. Just saw the other thread about arena concerts and maybe that just isn't as important as it was forty years ago.

Last time I saw them was in the 80s, Godzilla and Don't Fear the Reaper were in the same place in the set. We clamored and stomped but that was it...they were done.

Did the Godzilla stomping prior to Godzilla song go around the coliseum directionally prior to the song starting?

That was one of the coolest things ever in any of the dozens of shows I went to. Singer did the WTF was that? and other comments just like the live lp. It was on the speakers fixed to the building and went one direction around sounded like it was in the mezzanine, when it reached the stage that's when Godzilla roared and the song started. 

B. O. C.

None Better!

• Like 3

I've got several King Biscuit Flour Hour Sunday night shows recorded on cassettes from back then. The BOC concert I've got recorded, forget where it came from. I'll get back with y'all on that one. Hurrying to go and check out some La Scalas!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That's cool Mike. I like the energy coming from their hands. Just saw the other thread about arena concerts and maybe that just isn't as important as it was forty years ago.

Last time I saw them was in the 80s, Godzilla and Don't Fear the Reaper were in the same place in the set. We clamored and stomped but that was it...they were done.

Did the Godzilla stomping prior to Godzilla song go around the coliseum directionally prior to the song starting?

That was one of the coolest things ever in any of the dozens of shows I went to. Singer did the WTF was that? and other comments just like the live lp. It was on the speakers fixed to the building and went one direction around sounded like it was in the mezzanine, when it reached the stage that's when Godzilla roared and the song started. 

B. O. C.

None Better!

During that show they where still using lasers lights.....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

During that show they where still using lasers lights.....

I think they were when I saw them too, lights did not compare to a Pink Floyd concert light show or the Fernbank Planetarium LaserFloyd show in Atlanta in the early 80s. Only show where they used sound effects far from the stage like that for the approaching dinosaur stomping around though! ...Well besides Pink Floyd.

Those La Scalas were magnificent!

Gotta Have. 

Gotta tame the squalkers maybe, but there are very few hours on these old not so pretty monsters!

La Scalas do have pretty good bass, for my kind of music.

on to phase two - negotiation this is drawn out for a couple of peculiar reasons. I'll know soon enough.

• Like 2

Testing and fine tuning a Thorens TD147 

Has all upgrades as factory standard similar to a TD160 super with auto lift at the end on the record 

Will decide if I will build a nice timber plinth 

69359B61-1F93-46A8-8414-9AC849416475.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Testing and fine tuning a Thorens TD147 

Has all upgrades as factory standard similar to a TD160 super with auto lift at the end on the record 

Will decide if I will build a nice timber plinth 

69359B61-1F93-46A8-8414-9AC849416475.jpeg

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

if ya ain't movin' yet ...

I went to a "festival" in Phoenix for/when they did the stadium/crowd scene in the remake of A Star is Born .... yeah,  I'm in there .. somewhere around the 20yard line - at the opposite end of the field.  The show started at 7AM with BrownsvilleStation. 

rambling  

• Like 4