Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

22 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

caught this documentary on the band death... a Motown proto punk band...from 1975

22 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
  •  
  • Edit
  • Watch this page
  •  

...For the Whole World to See

...For the Whole World to See is a studio album by the American band Death, released in 2009 and consisting of various demos originally recorded in the mid 1970s.

...For the Whole World to See
Forthewholeworldtosee.jpg
Studio album by Death
Released February 17, 2009
Recorded 1975;
United Sound [1] 
Detroit, Michigan
Genre Punk rock, proto-punk,[2] garage rock[2]
Length 26:23
Label Drag City
Producer Death

Contents

HistoryEdit

In 1975 the band entered a studio to record a 12-song album. After refusing to change their group's name, Death was turned away by Clive Davis of Columbia Records. Only seven songs were completed and the album was never released.[3] The surviving songs were released as ...For the Whole World to See in 2009 by Drag City.[4]

Just prior to and right after the record's release, the songs on ...For the Whole World to See were performed live by Rough Francis, a band formed by the three sons of Death's original bassist. With the record's critical acclaim and praise from many other musicians, the two surviving members of Death reformed the band with a new guitarist to promote the record themselves.

ReceptionEdit
Professional ratings
Aggregate scores
Source Rating
Metacritic 76/100[4]
Review scores
Source Rating
Allmusic 4.5/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[2]
Pitchfork Media (7.1/10)[5]
Sputnikmusic 4/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[6]
Tiny Mix Tapes 4/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[7]

Initial critical response to ...For the Whole World to See was positive. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 76, based on 8 reviews.[4]

Jack White of The White Stripes related his first reaction to the album in a The New York Times article: "I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. When I was told the history of the band and what year they recorded this music, it just didn’t make sense. Ahead of punk, and ahead of their time.”[3]

The song "You're a Prisoner" was featured in the 2011 film Kill the Irishman.[8]

The song "Freakin Out" is played in the main action sequence on the sixth episode of the Starz show "Ash vs. Evil Dead"

Track listingEdit
  1. "Keep on Knocking" (David Hackney, Bobby Hackney) – 2:50
  2. "Rock-N-Roll Victim" (D. Hackney) – 2:41
  3. "Let the World Turn" (D. Hackney, B. Hackney) – 5:56
  4. "You're a Prisoner" (D. Hackney, B. Hackney) – 2:24
  5. "Freakin Out" (B. Hackney) – 2:48
  6. "Where Do We Go from Here???" (B. Hackney) – 3:50
  7. "Politicians in My Eyes" (B. Hackney) – 5:50

PersonnelEdit
  • David Hackney – guitar
  • Bobby Hackney – bass, vocals
  • Dannis Hackney – drums
  • Death – producer
  • Tammy Hackney – photography
  • Jim Vitti – engineer

ReferencesEdit
  1. ^ SoulfulDetroit - United Sound Systems - Great Soul Music Recording Studios of Detroit
  2. ^ a b c Jurek, Thom. "Overview:...For the Whole World to See". Allmusic. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
  3. ^ a b This Band Was Punk Before Punk Was Punk
  4. ^ a b c "Death: ...For the Whole World to See (2009): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks, Inc. Archived from the original on 21 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
  5. ^ Moerder, Adam (February 8, 2009). "Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Death: ...For the Whole World to See". Archived from the original on 8 July 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
  6. ^ Butler, Nick. ...For the Whole World to See review sputnikmusic.com. 2009-10-21. Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
  7. ^ Woodbury, Jason P. ...For the Whole World to See review tinymixtapes.com. 2009-02-19. Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
  8. ^ Soundtracks for Kill the Irishman (2011) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/soundtrack

External linksEdit

Wikipedia

Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.

22 hours ago, JohnJ said:

We could have been listening to that instead of the knack in the late 70s:sad:

The Motor City's version of "Clash" or "Ramones"

19 hours ago, Full Range said:

Death’s music - That’s better than the Knack 👍🏼

12 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

could you believe... that 3 young brothers.... produced such great music... other than Motown r&b ...

and are and were better ... than the clash or the ramones... who could not play their instruments.. 

and have the power to rock !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 8:23 PM, Full Range said:

@dirtmudd

I think you will like this album 

Da#n. 

I sure do! Rockin' my 4.1 setup right now!

Free, Foghat, Atomic Rooster, Cactus and Fleetwood Mac are all tied to those Black Cat Bones bluesmen!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ssh

elusivedisc

.com

They ship pretty quick, package one or six LPs very well. Also have responded quickly when I've had an issue with a record quality problem.

Another online record shop in PA had estimated ship dates then allowed months to pass.

Nope, not for me. If it's listed in stock I have gotten the very last copy several times!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Da#n. 

I sure do! Rockin' my 4.1 setup right now!

Free, Foghat, Atomic Rooster, Cactus and Fleetwood Mac are all tied to those Black Cat Bones bluesmen!!

Listened to Cactus One Way Or Another LP, Free Live,  and Fleetwood Mac LP's, very recently all which posted here probably, lol...Atomic Rooster need to give a fresh listen to as they were pop. in circles.

Coincidental as listening to the Beck-Ola old LP which I sprayed just now and am listening to ATM...Ain't Superstitious playing. Yes, Friday the Thirteenth and watching for black cats...coming up. Even this old double LP with 2 LP's, Truth and Beck Ola sounding better than they should on this Sansui TT. Yes, it is all connected, agreed. Cactus was sortof created because of Jeff Beck's car accident which delayed the group get together. Thus we have a decent band...Cactus. Beck Bogart & Appice LP with Superstiton, Black Cat Moan... originally V Fudge members. I do go on but, spot on from my membrance there man. But, knowing you, you already know this and more.

Connectivity problem with Wi-Fi getting better some lately. Think the external antenna is burning in...LOL...enjoy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ssh said:

What source do you recommend for buying vinyl?

SSH

Spotted some near mint Moody Blues (several and Buchanan lps awhile back at a Goodwill for a snip.

And of course, the old trusty craigslist. Good Hunting!

• Like 3

@billybob

That green apple LP was gone from my collection for decades until I found it on discogs on a cd recently, loved it when Rod sang with Beck.

Rod's raspy voice, Jeff's gnarley guitar and who else?

Ron Wood on bass.

Were you the one that turned me on to Cactus? think so. Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe but, would have to be on this thread a little while back(Cactus). In any case yes they rocked...saw them in Tampa(of all places). Sortof cool as I had seen the Fudge in Jax Beach.

girlfriend goy me the green apple CD somewhere awhile back. Hated to tell her(probly didn't) it was only half the double lp but, it had Plynth(water down the drain) on one she got me.

As you know, it is a super classic lp. Early Rod and Beck, Woods and Mick Waller drums. JP Jones...Hammond...Nicky Hopkins...Piano from the back of lp.

BTW, if you can get the Orange Beck group lp or cd, do it. Alright John.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Maybe but, would have to be on this thread a little while back(Cactus). In any case yes they rocked...saw them in Tampa(of all places). Sortof cool as I had seen the Fudge in Jax Beach.

girlfriend goy me the green apple CD somewhere awhile back. Hated to tell her(probly didn't) it was only half the double lp but, it had Plynth(water down the drain) on one she got me.

As you know, it is a super classic lp. Early Rod and Beck, Woods and Mick Waller drums. JP Jones...Hammond...Nicky Hopkins...Piano from the back of lp.

BTW, if you can get the Orange Beck group lp or cd, do it. Alright John.

Yep that's what I've got now for my cd. Tried looking for it, Truth/Beck-ola the freakin amazon site was down!!

Hey I got to see Soundgarden then Pearl Jam a couple years later at the Ice Palace there. Was at Bush Gardens for an anniversary the day the Kumba opened around `95 Labor Day. Saw a heard of wildabeast run over and kill dozens of pink flamingos... too real.

Then of course got my new filter at Tampa General.

A lot of time spent in that town, cops wouldn't let me near the old stadium the Monday after Chucky & the Bucs won the SuperBowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is one from left field for you 

This is a compilation/ presentation album 

The reason I have this album is because it has one track from a 60s prog band - The Black Cat Bones

And I love cruise holidays - my first ship voyage was 1968 ( with my mum & dad )

This band only released one album ( but I don’t have the LP )

I posted the video of the album in an above post

36D0B5F5-DA38-4345-AF2E-578347B5282E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Yep that's what I've got now for my cd. Tried looking for it, Truth/Beck-ola the freakin amazon site was down!!

Hey I got to see Soundgarden then Pearl Jam a couple years later at the Ice Palace there. Was at Bush Gardens for an anniversary the day the Kumba opened around `95 Labor Day. Saw a heard of wildabeast run over and kill dozens of pink flamingos... too real.

Then of course got my new filter at Tampa General.

A lot of time spent in that town, cops wouldn't let me near the old stadium the Monday after Chucky & the Bucs won the SuperBowl.

Lol, dang you sure got around here in Florida. Bad about the Flamingo's...what a trip. Thanks for reminding me about the Buc's, now that was monumental. Used to pull for underdogs back then. Like the Falcon's, lol.

Not much hip to the first band but yes, good times...

So you got the Orange Beck...Going

down...cool. Would let you have my apple set but, it has seen it's better days, lol. (maybe) Bet there is a copy (lp) of the orange and the apple around about. Will keep eyes open. A facelift like Neil and Dave do to their old lp's would help no doubt.

Before I forget again, first album I spun on the new to me TT, which I will try to refrain from mentioning, lol, was the best of the 2 copies of the Boston lp. It is sweet!

And earlier, I said Woods possibly , which is actually as you know the famous Ron Wood, exstroidinaire...

• Like 2