Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 minute ago, wdecho said:

Nelson Pass says the same with amplification. When your brain is listening to distortion whether you are aware of it or not it will get tired and you want to turn it off. 

But everyone forgets to tell you..

all sounds are distortion... And no sound is no distortion...

• Like 2

Good morning / good evening.............well, I just tested my hearing the other day at work...........as usual, I can hear only to 11,700 Hz. (not too shabby for a 66 year old who has been playing in bands TO THIS DAY since 1977!!)   so none of this really matters :lol:     

Note, we have a new employee at our shop, he is 19 years old.    With the same tuner and not touching a thing except the freq. dial, he was able to hear to 17,400 Hz. !!!   Ah, young ears for sure :emotion-21:   When I was 21 and building my first synthesizer, my buddy and I had an oscilloscope out for tuning up the oscillators...   We decided to test our YOUNG ears.....   Both of us topped out at 17K.....   I know of no one that can do 20k personally.   The key is the volume level....  Keep it LOW like just on the threshold like they do professionally.

I also just learned that the audio ear testing is only done to 8000 Hz.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m sure most members will know that the ears feel vibrations if they can’t hear an actual sound 

This is also true for the 5 senses as they work together to form the whole picture 

So I would like to pose a question 

If a blind person does not have sight - then hearing and smell is enhanced to compensate 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't even want to talk about hearing loss.  Lost mine in a firefight in Nam.  My buddy hit an auction one day and got a hearing aid in a $1.00 box of stuff then presented it to me.  Ha!  I took it to a local lady who sold it to the old guy and she said the previous owner never used them.  Then asked if I got both, which I didn't.  I wanna get serious @ a concert I just plug it in.  hahaha...  Sucks, but not much I can do now.  Why do I now have a visual of my daughters having an auction and putting it in a $1 box of junk???  😂

• Thanks 3

A healthy dose of inherent paranoia consciously or not, can have a sympathetic impact upon other senses (touch) when one looses a vital sense. Suppose a blind person might say, yes, absolutely, all senses are enhanced, either acutel so, or quite naturally so. This determined by the situation one is in, chaos or a calm environment.

The absence of sound some may term silence, can be deafening...reminds me of a Poe poem. Silence...even in a vacuum?

Thanks!:emotion-44:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest wdecho

The fact remains though that all things being equal, high frequency hearing and also no loss of hearing, that some hear things the other one will not. Musicians call it a trained ear. It amazes me being a amplifier building is there are people that can discern the difference between a negative 2nd harmonic and a positive 2nd harmonic in an amplifier when we are talking about a 2nd harmonic of .5% or less. They hear things most cannot hear and has nothing to do with hearing. The sound is there for everybody if they know how to find it. Much as a chess match. One master will see a solution when the other does not but the answer is there for all to see. 

When someone says they cannot hear a difference between a CD and vinyl, surface noise excluded, I will just agree with them. As far as being superior, no way. Take a analog signal and reduce it to 1's and 0's and make it sound better, not in my world. I will agree different and maybe more enjoyable but not an exact copy. 

.Yes, there can be subtleties and nuance, and even outright pervasive passages where I hear them at times and say to myself, wow, did not hear that marimba or bongo in the music.

It is fun to compare cd's to record. As you say, it can jump out at you , new discoveries. Even with critical listening, you can miss the obvious. I do all the time, even in everyday life.

Would tend to agree. It makes me wonder at times when listening with others, just what are they hearing. Hearing loss is almost to be expected in a war zone. Brother veteran can hear dogs coming over a 1/2 mile away. Can also but, that with  focus and training my ears for the sound wanting to hear. Guess a fair analogy may be loosely training yourself to look for game animal silhouettes in the wild in varing foliage. They can be there all along, yet until you are able to discern, all is revealed when there is movement. Obvious afterwards. A bit like the sleuth in another Poe short where the letter is in plain view all the while, when the gendarme' is pulling up boards and tapping on walls. Surprised at the variance in peoples hearing. Some can hear what I hear and vice versa. After a Faces concert near PA for a minute, and brother firing a hp rifle nearfield, I feel fortunate to be able to discern most anything, when it comes down to it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Full Range said:

I’m sure most members will know that the ears feel vibrations if they can’t hear an actual sound 

This is also true for the 5 senses as they work together to form the whole picture 

So I would like to pose a question 

If a blind person does not have sight - then hearing and smell is enhanced to compensate 

Don't fart near a blind person

• Haha 2

I have been doing a little light reading on the Sansui 5000a I picked up at a pawn shop yesterday and it actually looks like I actually got lucky.

This is my first attempt at a vintage 2 channel system. Are any of you fine people using this Receiver? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, K5SS said:

Do you fellas think aMarantz 1060 would pair nicely with the Rotel RP-6300 I just picked up? 

1 hour ago, K5SS said:

I have been doing a little light reading on the Sansui 5000a I picked up at a pawn shop yesterday and it actually looks like I actually got lucky.

This is my first attempt at a vintage 2 channel system. Are any of you fine people using this Receiver? 

So what happened with the marantz ?

• Like 1

The Marantz has sold right before the guy replied to me. I needed to buy a DSLR camera and I was cruising the local pawn shops when I saw this receiver buried under a bunch of tools. 

I went to Turntables and Trails in Seattle, a wonderful Seattle shop, and they were using a 5000x in their shop system. They are going to fully test and clean it for me but their main tech is out to about the middle of September:(

That’s alright with me because it gives me time to locate the right pair is Heresys. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, K5SS said:

The Marantz has sold right before the guy replied to me. I needed to buy a DSLR camera and I was cruising the local pawn shops when I saw this receiver buried under a bunch of tools. 

I went to Turntables and Trails in Seattle, a wonderful Seattle shop, and they were using a 5000x in their shop system. They are going to fully test and clean it for me but their main tech is out to about the middle of September:(

That’s alright with me because it gives me time to locate the right pair is Heresys. 

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/msg/d/klipsch-heresy-2/6648922674.html

Klipsch heresy 2 - $300 hide this posting

image 1 of 17

00B0B_9Gg6VgJhDTf_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_jdIPj9lOihj_600x450.jpg

00000_8VqwvSmlei4_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_21Xxy517rdq_600x450.jpg

00r0r_k2NpnYUOQ7W_600x450.jpg

00i0i_gt2BAXBGP3m_600x450.jpg

01111_7ow1VZxYXo2_600x450.jpg

00h0h_az0hetHNXJK_600x450.jpg

00K0K_2bVItKnefSY_600x450.jpg

00F0F_46oBQVvdrMY_600x450.jpg

00U0U_kmNjk3yAfd4_600x450.jpg

01313_cQ5bLpwURNp_600x450.jpg

00W0W_7ESEr3BLWbi_600x450.jpg

00h0h_az0hetHNXJK_600x450.jpg

3007.png3007.png3008.png3008.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

Really nice set of Klipsch heresy twos, in great condition, sound amazing call/text 315 898-4978 cash and carry, no trades .
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
  • Like 1