Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Ahhhhh, so YOU'RE the one!  One great LP and yes it did bring back memories.  As for a Glen Campbell anthology, I think I'll pass if there ever is one.  Might just have to though.  Truly hurt when he passed.  Truly a great guy!  Think I've got him covered up though.  Few not showing.  lol  Loved that guy but who didn't?  

glen campbell.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Ahhhhh, so YOU'RE the one!  One great LP and yes it did bring back memories.  As for a Glen Campbell anthology, I think I'll pass if there ever is one.  Might just have to though.  Truly hurt when he passed.  Truly a great guy!  Think I've got him covered up though.  Few not showing.  lol  Loved that guy but who didn't?  

glen campbell.jpg

He was one of the great pickers, and not just on GUITAR, either....and there is a ton of his session work out there...some of it already compiled under headings of some of the great session-work combos he was a part of! He and his entire family were local legends in and around Delight, just north a ways from Prescott where I "grew-up"!  He made a very good living doing session work for a long time before he ever became famous for his own albums...and he was always being invited to other artists' recording sessions!  Me??...I'm hoping for a really huge session-work compilation in numerous volumes, which covers everything he did...and if that happens, I'll  jump all over it in a heartbeat!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

He was one of the great pickers, and not just on GUITAR, either....and there is a ton of his session work out there...some of it already compiled under headings of some of the great session-work combos he was a part of! He and his entire family were local legends in and around Delight, just north a ways from Prescott where I "grew-up"!  He made a very good living doing session work for a long time before he ever became famous for his own albums...and he was always being invited to other artists' recording sessions!  Me??...I'm hoping for a really huge session-work compilation in numerous volumes, which covers everything he did...and if that happens, I'll  jump all over it in a heartbeat!

Prescott is supposedly a beautiful area.  A very good friend on mine used to play for the Indians and retired there.  He's also passed now but you're spot on w/Glen and his session work. He was one of the best but his stuff was ALWAYS great.  Enjoyed when he'd hook up w/Johnny Hartford a pickin that banjo.  They'd always challenge each other so the end result just cooked.  

6 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I remember here in Australia 

The Glen Campbell TV specials 

Had that here also Paul.  Man does 4-Way Street sound fantastic thru tubes and my LS!  Thanks for that last week!  Just picked up the re-press of "So Far," which I already have.  Just time for a new one but on white vinyl?  Ugn!  Just an excuse to play it more now.  lol  :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Prescott is supposedly a beautiful area.  A very good friend on mine used to play for the Indians and retired there.  He's also passed now but you're spot on w/Glen and his session work. He was one of the best but his stuff was ALWAYS great.  Enjoyed when he'd hook up w/Johnny Hartford a pickin that banjo.  They'd always challenge each other so the end result just cooked.  

Prescott, ARkansas or Prescott, Arizona?  Both are beautiful areas, IMHO!  I was raised up outside of Prescott, Arkansas. MY Prescott is about 25 miles from Hope, AR which is actually a few miles SOUTH from the factory where Klipsch speakers are made...and the factory is right beside Oakhaven, AR...which was originally an officer family housing section of the Southwest Proving Grounds during WWII.

BTW...Glen wasn't even close to being a slouch on the mandolin, either...he could pick one with the best of Mandolin pickers...and come out the winner or at least, tied  with the winner every time!  IIRC, he actually STARTED out on the Mandolin as a small child...his parents and siblings and some of his extended family were well-known for great "Campbell family" performances for decades!  they were all great singers and harmonizers...and every one of them was extremely proficient in playing a number of musical instruments, too!  Glen is the main one who "went out on his own"...doing fantastic session-work and further honing his arrangement skills, until he got a chance to record the songs he had written...and his song-writing skill shot him to the top of the charts!  Song-writing is what his real forte was, when being compared to the rest of the "Campbell Family" members!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Prescott, ARkansas or Prescott, Arizona?

It's on me HDBR...  I should have known AR but immediately thought of AZ.  Duh me!  You're absolutely correct about Glen.  He was such a great man imo.  We had quite a few talks over the years and I'll always miss him but his music will be ever-lasting just like so many others that are gone too soon.  The kids will pick up the pace in time hopefully.  :)

• Like 1

Wellllllll, my heavy lil butcher block might just work after all...  Finally bolted back together and rock solid.  In talking to a Sorbothane geek the other day I was told not to worry about a thing and to leave the castors on.  AS IF!  Couple layers of bovine slime came off the top and it's virtually mark free.  I was told to just leave it alone and accept the discolored places because the grease would never come out of the wood, which sounds logical.  Kinda gives it a bit of character I guess.  It's 1 inch taller than my LS w/the castors on and the top is 4" thick.  Should be perfect!  Now all I have to do is move my old Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's up stairs along w/my old SAE stack rack. which take up the left corner of the room.  Someone with a strong back and weak mind will make the mistake of stopping by.  Ha!  Then we can GO!  I hope.  The thing I don't like is if I put my amp on a block on the floor is...  bending over to adjust volume.  Could go w/a remote integrated though...  Yes, I'm totally worthless so no comments about exercise.  lol 

butcher block.jpg

butcher block1.jpg

• Like 2

Glenn Campbell tv show was on lots here also, along with Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw...they were back to back one night I recall. Locally it was Arthur Smith on the pbs channel with all the pickers including Glenn a couple of times.

That was all "gateway music" for me though I'm still mostly hung up on that same Great Decade!

IMG-20190412-212141.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, JohnJ said:

That one is done right, with the ends of the pieces of wood facing up to chop on.

Looks good!

That's exactly what I wanted to find.  Thinking about using a slab of finished maple about 4" thick on the floor then another layer of Sorbothane between that and the cutting board, which I'm gonna pull out and use for the amp to sit on since it goes well w/the stand.  Complete w/stash drawer under the block!  hahahaha

• Like 3

Hello Paul and friend............. I know I have not been here all that much lately......trying to divide my attention from audio to my newest hobby.......Amateur Radio !!!

However, tonight, I am settled in Longfellow Music Hall, listening for only a second time, this fine Bill Evans LP I picked up SEALED last year from an eBay sale...   Here is the cover with my latest vino selection for the evening...   🍷DSCN2270.jpg

• Like 2

Opened the seal on the last from the boxed set I got a while back... not as good to me as it might be to a super fan of the group. I just like their music.

"Murder By Numbers" redeems this one for me, always liked the song and given the half-speed treatment it's impressive.

IMG-20190413-222613.jpg

• Like 3

Ok, nice music in here tonight!, my final for now this evening.................side TWO from the Evans Trio album........the old Dual turntable, Dynaco tube gear and un-altered Klipschorns built in 1968.....   Good evening everyone here in the States and good day to you Paul ;)..............ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....................-_-DSCN2271.jpg

• Like 2

I have a treat for the record spinners tonight  *** AU time 

One fantastic live concert was recorded as one continuous session in 1975, and released as a double LP in 4 parts 

Yes this album is of legendary status In the Jazz rock fusion genre that blew listeners minds at the time as the entire album was mainly spontaneous improvisation 

I present to you 

Artist - Keith Jarrett 

Title - The Koln Concert 1975 

@Tigerman will appreciate this album 

13D9E874-5BD2-4854-89DF-6C950771FC63.jpeg

• Like 2

Good evening Paul !  Thanks for the Keith J. album !   

It is 6:30am. here, my usual time on the radio with what is called 'The Breakfast Net'.  Can't play music in the background as it would go out over the air which is not legal according to the FCC rules.   But, I saw your post come up on the computer which I use for the logging software showing all that are on board within the network and I wanted to step in here and say hello in return.

Well, you enjoy your evening and I will continue to post vinyl when it gets spun up :smile:..   

Enjoy your recording and your evening!    Catch you next time around...

.......Gary

• Thanks 1