Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 minute ago, Full Range said:

You lucky Americans 

Where I lived during my youth we only got local bands 

That's what Brissy will do to ya! 

Syd?   Bit of a drive but.. 

I'm sure you're local bands held their own! 

There's a guitar player who's fairly local to me that is unbelievable.  This guy TOTALLY shreds it and could play with ANYone yet is quite content just doing gigs in a 100 mile radius.  Steve Sweney, blue t-shirt, 29, single and very humble.  Self taught and he can truly wail when he wants to.  He reminds me a lot of Joe Walsh when he runs with it.  Small venues he'll shred it and w/larger venues remains reserved.  Check him out in his "reserved" mode at about 2 hours & 41 minutes 5 years ago.  Soo much better now here:  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Works for me!  Great show as was yours I'm sure!

June kinda near you maybe..In Farmingville, NY and July 5th in Columbus.  Come on down!

5 hours ago, Full Range said:

You lucky Americans 

Where I lived during my youth we only got local bands 

But I’m pretty sure they  (YES) never toured Australia 

https://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/events/detail/royalaffair

A ROYAL AFFAIR: YES, ASIA, JOHN LODGE (OF THE MOODY BLUES) AND CARL PALMER'S ELP LEGACY

PAVILION ONLY

About the Show:
The 2019 summer concert calendar has just been lit up with the announcement of YES’ North American concert tour, “The Royal Affair Tour.” Headlined by prog rock pioneers and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees YES, who triumphed last year with their acclaimed and hugely successful #YES50: Celebrating 50 Years of YES tour, this must-see best-of-British-rock show will also feature Asia with the return of founding member Steve Howe in a special performance, John Lodge of The Moody Blues, and Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy with guest vocals by Arthur Brown.

YES is Steve Howe (guitar – joined 1970), Alan White (drums since 1972), Geoff Downes (keyboards; first joined in 1980), Jon Davison (vocals since 2011) and Billy Sherwood (guitar/keyboards in the 1990s and the late Chris Squire’s choice to take over bass/vocals in 2015), with Jay Schellen on additional drums. Look for YES to perform songs from throughout their storied career, one of rock music’s most prized bodies of work, and their set will honor the memory of YES members Chris Squire and Peter Banks.

Asia will play their signature songs and pay tribute to their late founding member John Wetton. A portion of their set will feature original guitarist Steve Howe in a special performance. Asia will also introduce its new line-up featuring guitarist/lead vocalist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and bassist Billy Sherwood.

John Lodge’s set will encompass his classic hits by Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees The Moody Blues and pay tribute to the band’s recently departed member Ray Thomas.

Carl Palmer will honor the memory of his fellow Emerson, Lake and Palmer members Keith Emerson and Greg Lake, with vocals by British vocalist Arthur Brown.As part of the evening’s British vocalist Arthur Brown.

As part of the evening’s British theme, there will be Alan White of YES’ tribute to John Lennon; White was the drummer on Lennon’s solo material including the recording of “Imagine.

SHOWINGS

• Thursday, June 27, 2019   --  6:30 PM
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

They ALWAYS put on a great show!  Never left disappointed!

They did here that year must have been something going on with them or the promoter or something. They did a less than 90 minute medly, it stunk.

Time prior to that they were good here.

Saw them at the Omni above where that cool train station is in Atlanta same tour....they were awesome played all the old stuff each song ten percent longer! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Full Range said:

KISS is one band I never got into 

At that time I preferred Alice Cooper 

Oh the parallels, all I can say is yeahhhhhhh

Yes, Zeppelin, Early Pink FLoyd (Loverd Syd), Stones, Wishbone Ash and lots of Alice!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tim Sr. said:

Oh the parallels, all I can say is yeahhhhhhh

Yes, Zeppelin, Early Pink FLoyd (Loverd Syd), Stones, Wishbone Ash and lots of Alice!

Although I don’t mind the Stones 

But never bought a Stones record or CD 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Noticed that a lot of my old records have the best or better tunes on side two, always heard that your metabolism changes every seven years!

IMG-20190610-191238.jpg

Cool Sleeve!

IMG-20190610-191101.jpg

last song side two:

great song

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mossy bottom said:

I have been on a Ten Years After /  Alvin Lee kick...

I can't believe he isn't in the RRHF...amazing!

Alvin Lee - Detroit Diesel 1986

15602221523696290463764281341997.jpg

Alvin Lee...a great blues/rock guitarist!!  One of the cleanest pickers in Rock!...Ten Years After.... to.... Ten Years Later....to....Alvin Lee and Company...his picking and solo on "I'd love to Change the World" is as classic as they come!!  And, YES he should have been inducted into the RRHF YEARS AGO!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I always liked his blues work 

And I always associate him with Roy Buchanan 

Thanks Full Range, Roy Buchanan is another one!!! I had a chance to see him one time in a very small venue, under appreciated guitarist...I have a number of his lp's...Need to play them too...

Cheers!

• Like 4

@Full Range

Can't explain how Mr. Alvin Lee hasn't been in my top five list of favorite guitarists except to say I started the first grade in `69.

Some artists I was exposed to through my buds in my late teen years, but I did know of and hear a lot of Ten Years After from radio.

That seven minute piece above with my first mug of coffee on a late start Tues. was just rightB)!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@Full Range

Can't explain how Mr. Alvin Lee hasn't been in my top five list of favorite guitarists except to say I started the first grade in `69.

Some artists I was exposed to through my buds in my late teen years, but I did know of and hear a lot of Ten Years After from radio.

That seven minute piece above with my first mug of coffee on a late start Tues. was just rightB)!

we need this more than ever !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@Full Range

Excuses, excuses, excuses....JK...NOW YOU KNOW, tho!...What is really SOOOO strange is that, generally-speaking, the biggest rock hits NORMALLY were the ones which people could EASILY dance to, which ALSO got lots of AM radio play due to either being short enough in duration, OR due to having a shortened version specifically FOR AM radio play!  So, that being said, most of the longer songs, were actually only heard when people bought the albums they were on...OR when they stayed up late at night to listen to something like AM radio's KAAY which pumped up its wattage to 50,000 at night and had shows for extended play like Beeker Street!  So if people never BOUGHT the LP's or listened to one of those radio shows, or heard it some other way...they just weren't informed!  Songs which had constant tempo change throughout them also did not have the advantage of being picked up for a list being played by local bands which made their living from the dance songs!  So, when something like "I'd Love to Change the World" off of the Ten Years After album "A Space In Time" became such a huge hit, it was pretty damned miraculous due to its defying ALL of the norms!  That entire album is so very much an extremely-cleanly well-recorded one, that on big old horn speakers it just blows you away!

@dirtmudd

we need this more than ever !

I was listening to this a few weeks ago....sending links to another forum member of things for LaScala play using an H/K 430...and thought the same damned thing!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Excuses, excuses, excuses....JK...NOW YOU KNOW, tho!... 

Ha:laugh: just a simple fact.

When I've posted Frank Marino it barely gets a rise out of anybody here. Seriously?... the cosmic brother of Jimi ?

I did not miss out seeing him half a dozen times when Foghat quit opening for the bigger rock shows around here. They took Black Oak Arkansas's place, after them it was Funk Rock Georgia's Mothers Finest. Frank played with his teeth behind his back, flat on the floor could run all over the stage like Ted. Flat out fast fingers.  

You guys have missed out on Hendrix's quasi-real protegee!  :huh:Or maybe just my posts about him.

I did have the privilege of having a friend at the record bar from Idaho or somewhere else deep in the dustbowl that turned me on to the Rockets, Shooting Star, and some other "biker band" rock bands. Then later a "workout" friend introduced me to Concrete Blonde, that wasn't big down here.

Like you know, a lot can be learned here, I learned Alvin Lee will be in my collection soon even if it's just bookmarks in chromium.

Thanks for the tip, I can look for that LP next trip to the record store

• Like 3