Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

OK...something big may be happening in vinyl availability!  I spent most of last week at a paratrooper reunion in Fort Smith, AR.  I had to make a few runs to Wal-Mart while there for stuff...and found vinyl is on the shelves!  Not only that but in North Little Rock, and Jonesboro, Arkansas, too!  I dunno if this is already nation-wide or not!  But it seems they are at least testing the waters for vinyl sales!  So those of you who live a long distance from a record shop. might not have to drive so far in the near future...with the added advantage that you will likely be able to order online for pick-up locally....just saying.....and no, I am not affiliated!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Have been trying to catch up w/stuff outside that needs to be done.  Losing battle I'm thinking.  Spotted this today, which is sad!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/universal-fire-music-masters/?trackback=fbshare_mobile&fbclid=IwAR3n9ix8JGX0746KHhsg7N69Jwx0BdBktzGQP4wPkPEGVWv4rjT4LGp3mw0

Very sad indeed 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Ha:laugh: just a simple fact.

When I've posted Frank Marino it barely gets a rise out of anybody here. Seriously?... the cosmic brother of Jimi ?

I did not miss out seeing him half a dozen times when Foghat quit opening for the bigger rock shows around here. They took Black Oak Arkansas's place, after them it was Funk Rock Georgia's Mothers Finest. Frank played with his teeth behind his back, flat on the floor could run all over the stage like Ted. Flat out fast fingers.  

You guys have missed out on Hendrix's quasi-real protegee!  :huh:Or maybe just my posts about him.

I did have the privilege of having a friend at the record bar from Idaho or somewhere else deep in the dustbowl that turned me on to the Rockets, Shooting Star, and some other "biker band" rock bands. Then later a "workout" friend introduced me to Concrete Blonde, that wasn't big down here.

Like you know, a lot can be learned here, I learned Alvin Lee will be in my collection soon even if it's just bookmarks in chromium.

Thanks for the tip, I can look for that LP next trip to the record store

JJ...Just because you didn't get written responses doesn't mean many of us aren't paying attention, man!😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, JohnJ said:

Ha:laugh: just a simple fact.

When I've posted Frank Marino it barely gets a rise out of anybody here. Seriously?... the cosmic brother of Jimi ?

I did not miss out seeing him half a dozen times when Foghat quit opening for the bigger rock shows around here.

FOGHAT....Back in 1973, I was stationed at FT Bragg, NC for a number of months before going to Germany.  My running buddy there had a girlfriend going to UNCC in Charlotte...we both had motorcycles and rode over to Charlotte for a "Doobie Brothers" concert and I was set-up for a blind date with his girlfriend's room-mate for the concert.  Typical description for a blind date..."Well, she is very nice, sweet, cute, and has a great personality"...meaning...well, you can imagine...but she turned out to be lots of fun, and that was one of the very few blind dates I have had that I actually WANTED TO REMEMBER and repeat...so I did!!! 

So the opening band was Savoy Brown, and as usual for opening bands, about the time they get good and warmed-up, their stage time is over!  But Savoy Brown already had the UNCC venue rocking hard, anyway.  So out comes the Doobie Brothers...they were good, but NOT great....so when their set was done, they left the stage...and the crowd didn't even bother to try and get them back for an encore, instead yelling "MORE SAVOY BROWN!"...continually...so Savoy Brown came back out!  If you have never heard the original Savoy Brown in concert, you gotta understand they are ten times better LIVE than on a studio album!...JUST THE OPPOSITE of the Doobie Brothers!!  So they went into some stuff they didn't have time for as the opening band...finishing-up with an extended 45 minute version of "Wang Dang Doodle"!!  Kim Simmonds was still with Savoy Brown at that time, and man was he great on stage!!  So the whole place was blues-rocking-out bigtime to Wang Dang Doodle!!  Needless to say, the Doobie Brothers had been TOTALLY out-performed by Savoy Brown...and that was the end of Savoy Brown being the opening band for that tour!  Savoy Brown had a personnel change-up shortly afterwards and the Foghat we know of was part of what was the result of that Savoy Brown personnel change!

So,  the point here is:  KIM SIMMONDS as a guitarist...Hint!  Hint!...MUCH BETTER LIVE, but, unfortunately, I know of no albums where he was well-recorded in live situations...something may have come out over the years, but back then, there was nothing out at that time that I know of!   So you'll just have to make do with this 😉:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

FOGHAT....Back in 1973, I was stationed at FT Bragg, NC for a number of months before going to Germany.  My running buddy there had a girlfriend going to UNCC in Charlotte...we both had motorcycles and rode over to Charlotte for a "Doobie Brothers" concert and I was set-up for a blind date with his girlfriend's room-mate for the concert.  Typical description for a blind date..."Well, she is very nice, sweet, cute, and has a great personality"...meaning...well, you can imagine...but she turned out to be lots of fun, and that was one of the very few blind dates I have had that I actually WANTED TO REMEMBER and repeat...so I did!!! 

Don’t tell me you married her 

Because I want to date that girl 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Thanks @HDBRbuilder

Haven't heard that band since the 80s probably, sounds like a rockin night at the pool hall !!

Think my uncle was back at Fayette-nam then, do you recall a big as a tank Sherman Johnson from back then?

No...generally speaking, if they weren't under USAIMA (JFKSWC), I had little chance of meeting them...besides, I was sent off for what was SUPPOSED TO BE A 2-3 week mission, which, as usual, turned out to last about twice that long...so it wasn't very long after I returned that orders for reassignment showed up for all of us on that mission...kinda scattering us all to the proverbial four-winds!  That seemed to happen quite often back in those days!

• Like 5

Twenty some minutes into the Savoy Brown trip way back now. Nice stuff "the Album Station" was what they called our FM hangout here, they played this stuff in the broad daylight.

Can't let go of this one, can't play it either... too much party mileage:

IMG-20190612-183644.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

No...my reassignment to Germany ended that relationship!  But it sure was fun while it lasted!!

This scenario reminds me of the Jack Reacher books I read ( yes I have read all of them ) 

• Like 4

Ha, a bit of rain this evening and tomorrow soooo a day off from the yard work!  Back to the tub and celebrating with a lil Traffic from 1968!  Great LP!

Traffic were an English rock band, formed in Birmingham,[1] in April 1967 by Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason.[2] They began as a psychedelic rock group and diversified their sound through the use of instruments such as keyboardslike the Mellotron and harpsichord, sitar, and various reed instruments, and by incorporating jazz and improvisational techniques in their music

Traffic- Traffic 1968.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I became a Russ Ballard fan when he sang with "Argent" a VERY long time ago.  He's been covered by All kinds of groups and enjoyed as one of my "Different kind of enjoyable, relaxing dudes.  He's always resonated with me.  His 3rd LP and typically him.  Snatched in a heartbeat!

Russ Ballard - At the Third Stroke.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

This scenario reminds me of the Jack Reacher books I read ( yes I have read all of them ) 

I don't get that analogy...1973 was the first year of the "return-from-Viet Nam" FLUX in units falling under the 18th Airborne Corps umbrella....IMA elements were also involved....so Bragg was moving many Soldiers to other places in 1973....some entire units were slated to return to Bragg from Viet Nam, and they needed the room there for them....so, with all of that experience coming back to the states, they naturally wanted to keep it, and the less-experienced were sent to other places....we all couldn't remain there for those reasons...At that time, .IMA people would often return from some mission somewhere in the world...some of the missions were short term...some were for over a year or more...and within a few days all be sent elsewhere....many of us were re-assigned to Germany from Bragg...most of us went to the 509th, which we (at Bragg) actually thought had already MADE the move to Italy....but that move actually  occurred a number of months later.  In West Germany the 8th ID had an Airborne/Mechanized dual-role Brigade, the 509th was the infantry portion....and the 8th ID was losing that Brigade as a dual-role Brigade because the 509th was to be stood-up as an Airborne Battalion Combat Team once it reached Italy....while the BDE in Germany was to remain as a mechanized Infantry one.   SO, some stayed in Germany, which meant that they needed new people to replace the slots not filled for Italy...and some went to stay in Germany to fill those empty slotsl….The same thing was happening at FT Campbell....the 101st was going off jump status and its Viet Nam elements were returning...along with the 173rd Airborne Regimental Combat Team...most of whom wanted to remain on jump status...so many of them were also sent to be in the 509th.  A military down-sizing was going on, a return from Viet Nam was going on..and the change from a draft-fed army to an all-volunteer force had already occurred....all at virtually the same time!  ....so how does the fictional Jack Reacher fit into this at all??

• Like 3