Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Come Sail Away' with Styx at the Stanley on Veterans Day weekend

The big concert is Sunday, November 10 at 7:30 p.m.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 1:08 PM
Posted By: WKTV

UTICA, N.Y. -- The Stanley Theatre and Valley Health Services present "An Evening with Styx.”

The big concert is Sunday, November 10 at 7:30 p.m.

Styx draws from over four decades of barn burning chart hits, joyous singalongs, and hard-driving deep cuts.

A few of those hits are "the Grand Illusion," "Blue Collar Man," "Lady," and "Come Sail Away.”

“It is no exaggeration when I tell you we could not bring the level of talent like we're talking about today bringing a group like Styx here to Utica, N.Y. that wasn't for corporate sponsorship and significant sponsorship like what Excellus brings today. We hope you'll join us and you'll 'come sail away' on Veterans Day weekend because it's going to be a blast,” said Lisa Betrus, with VHS.

In addition to Excellus, New York State Tool is also a sponsor.

General public tickets go on sale Saturday, but on Thursday to members of the Stanley. Styx Fan Club members can buy tickets on Wednesday.

• Like 2

Well demo week isn't happening this week.  My buddy got a better paying job.  lololol  I"m cheap what can I say!  Guess I'm gonna have to start it by myself.  Soooo, had a couple double LP's I saw and saved for a later play.  They''ve been goin down!  Pissing off the neighbors earlier!  :)

Up first was:  All the World's a Stage is a double live album by Canadian rock band Rush, released in 1976. The album was recorded at Massey Hall in Toronto on June 11, 12, and 13 during their 2112 tour. The title of the album alludes to William Shakespeare's play As You Like It, which would again be referenced by Rush in their 1981 song "Limelight".  One heck of an album!

Second: Renaissance (Atco Records catalog no. [SD] 33-244; originally available in both mono and stereo) is the third album by rock band Vanilla Fudge, released in June 1968. It was their first album to feature mostly original material, with five of its seven tracks penned by band members.  A fantastic psyschedelic  rock LP.  I ALWAYS hated having to get up and filp it...  Way too much work!  Great LP though!  😎

Third:  The album "Back to the Bars" was recorded in 1978 during week-long stints in New York City (The Bottom Line), Los Angeles (The Roxy), and Cleveland (The Agora). The music featured the best of Rundgren's most commercial work spanning seven of the eight solo albums released in the 1970s up to, but not including his most recent at the time.  Yup Todd is simply Todd!

Rush - All the world's a stage.jpg

Vanilla Fudge - Renaissance.jpg

Todd Rundgren - Back to the Bars.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Few bands could sound as good live as their live records when I saw them as Rush could.

Late 70s live LPs got way better than they ever had been!

Got a remastered Frampton Comes Alive that is better than the one I got when I was 10 *13 but that could just be it's a clean disc to spin.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rplace said:

How is it? Mine is still sitting in the cardboard box it shipped in from AP. Been about 2 weeks or so and I'm curious. Some of the online hype is over the top. Mono or stereo? Mono was out when I went to order so had to settle for stereo.

I have #678. It is an awesome pressing. It is dead quiet. Some people hear something off with the cymbals. They must be really focusing on that because I don't hear what they describe as flatten or splashy. I think it has more to do with some people's turntables or cartridges.  I wouldn't dwell on it but just listen and enjoy. Bernie Grundman is one of my favorite audio engineers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/10/2019 at 11:39 PM, Full Range said:

I always liked his blues work 

And I always associate him with Roy Buchanan 

Also a good history video 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, dirtmudd said:

Unfortunately they sold the a space in time.....

but I scored this today....

2 used and New 1 double album. 

IMG_20190619_184812_hdr.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Too bad, look for Shhh, Watt, and Cricklewood Green...

10 years ...

Well I wanted it ... For I want to change the world !! And to hear Alvin

guitar solo ...

those i know of... And should also get some traffic with to...preferably

Mfsl ... On vinyl

• Like 3

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Nothing wrong with Traffic either ...ASpaceInTime will show...

Happy Looking...: )

For me I associate those 2 bands together ... Just when I'm in my local

Record store. I forget....what I'm looking for...

and they just f...ed it up for me...

• Sad 2

Dang, make a shopping list and then leave it at home like I do.

Sisters would send me to the store to pick up items. Being a kid I would just be daydreaming at the shelves looking bewildered. The lady who knew me of course could call home or just ask me who sent me. She then led me to the female products aisle. Worked .  ; )

• Haha 2