Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Another Jazz record  playing now 

I like the feel and style of this record even though it’s the first time I have heard this artist 

Artist - Wynton Marsalis 

Title - Marsalis Standard Time Vol 1

010812CC-73B7-4EA6-BE1E-CC35BB20E859.jpeg

• Like 8

Gong offer an intriguing new model for band longevity. Rather than groups facing the prospect of merely becoming a tribute act to themselves, renewal and regeneration is possible if founding elders are willing to pass the baton on to younger players who don’t just knock out the old standbys, but embrace the spirit and philosophy that fuelled the band in the first place. This is exactly what Daevid Allen planned for Gong, and so far, it’s worked out spectacularly. 

If 2016’s Rejoice! I’m Dead! was a confident assertion of the post-Allen band’s musical identity, then The Universe Also Collapses pushes even further out while retaining Gong’s sense of wonderment and mischief. Featuring just four songs, it’s an album that aims to “bridge the worlds of lysergic exploration and quantum physics,” with lyrical themes of rebirth and re-death seeking to rise above the petty affairs of Man… It’s also an attempt to make a genuinely psychedelic record for the 21st century, Kavus Torabi expressing disappointment with most music that goes under that banner these days – instead, “I want to hear music that makes me feel like I’m on drugs.”

Opening 20-minute track Forever Reoccurring makes a pretty good case for achieving this objective, establishing its cosmic credentials upfront with a shimmer of glissando guitar and pulsing synth. Torabi’s weaving vocal is like a spell, a stoned invocation of blissed-out clarity, borne aloft on Dave Sturt’s buoyant bass. There’s a big surge of chords and some excellent angular fretwork from Torabi – in tandem with Ian East’s playful but powerful sax, it’s difficult not to draw favourable comparisons with VdGG and King Crimson in their 70s pomp. It’s unhurried, discursive stuff, but you can practically hear the molecules buzzing in the song’s super-structure.

If Never I’m And Ever You is a short, nervy head-rush after a long trip, before My Sawtooth Wake takes us on another extended journey, only this time the terrain is a good deal bumpier. Fabio Golfetti’s glissando still weaves its magic, but the main riff is a tough, almost funky strut from a band getting ready to enter into battle with itself. There’s a weightless pull-back to the vocal, but the bass keeps bursting through, becoming more encrusted with noise each time. The Elemental brings the album to a blackly upbeat conclusion, East’s sax like the mocking tootling of faery folk as Torabi sings, ‘The world is ending just the same as it began.’ It combines the whimsical with the deadly serious in a way that Allen would surely have approved of.

• Like 5

ok ok, i just need to purchase the most crucial element to join the real discussion, the turntable.  I have some vinyl just need the player.. 

Full Range, looking at your profile pic your modified LS looks amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, fastpuce271 said:

ok ok, i just need to purchase the most crucial element to join the real discussion, the turntable.  I have some vinyl just need the player.. 

Welcome to the thread you and others here... enjoy 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, fastpuce271 said:

It’s about your record collection, and to show us your preferred genre, so in absence of a turntable?

Just post up a photo of your album and link a video so we can have a listen 

43 minutes ago, fastpuce271 said:

Thanks 

Took a while to get the system just right 

Now I’m enjoying it for music pleasure just about every day 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, fastpuce271 said:

some amazing looking turntables on this thread :emotion-21:

Totally agree with you!  The funny thing about them all is they just turn...  Some better than others it seems.  ;p;  Then ya toss on this tone arm and that tone arm. then it's this cartridge or that cartridge.  I get soooo lost-ed at times too!  Gonna sort it all somehow though!

Welcome to the group and don't worry about a thing it all just seems to happen somehow in here!

Questions just ask.  Great place to share info and questions! Bring it brother!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I always remember the conflicting opinions between direct drive and belt drive systems. I wonder who won.

JJK

Still being determined here...lol

Really have not noticed much of anything much discussed along that line... this thread.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fastpuce271 said:

some amazing looking turntables on this thread :emotion-21:

15 hours ago, Full Range said:

Come on in and join us - we won’t bite 🤪

15 hours ago, fastpuce271 said:

14 hours ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the thread you and others here... enjoy 😎

14 hours ago, Full Range said:

It’s about your record collection, and to show us your preferred genre, so in absence of a turntable?

Just post up a photo of your album and link a video so we can have a listen 

Thanks 

Took a while to get the system just right 

Now I’m enjoying it for music pleasure just about every day 

4 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Totally agree with you!  The funny thing about them all is they just turn...  Some better than others it seems.  ;p;  Then ya toss on this tone arm and that tone arm. then it's this cartridge or that cartridge.  I get soooo lost-ed at times too!  Gonna sort it all somehow though!

Welcome to the group and don't worry about a thing it all just seems to happen somehow in here!

Questions just ask.  Great place to share info and questions! Bring it brother!  :)

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I always remember the conflicting opinions between direct drive and belt drive systems. I wonder who won.

JJK

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Really have not noticed much of anything much discussed along that line... this thread.

belt drive has the advantage....

its cheaper to make !!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, billybob said:

@JJkizak

My personal preference is idler drive as in my Garrard 401

I have two other decks one is belt drive the other is direct drive 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@JJkizak

My personal preference is idler drive as in my Garrard 401

I have two other decks one is belt drive the other is direct drive 

Like your daily driver also. Best of both worlds I should say.

Looking To craigslist electronic down in Venice, FL there is a vertical belt drive TT. A Mitsubishi XC-10...8000 model integrated receiver amp unit... looks semi-rare to me...lol

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Like your daily driver also. Best of both worlds I should say.

Looking To craigslist electronic down in Venice, FL there is a vertical belt drive TT. A Mitsubishi XC-10...8000 model integrated receiver amp unit... looks semi-rare to me...lol

• Like 3