Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Ten Years After – A Space In Time (Quadraphonic recording)

Until recently, the last time I played the Quad LP was on my last Quadraphonic setup (Marantz 4400 and Sansui speakers). When I played the Quad album on my current Stereo setup, I was startled when guitars and other instruments appeared immediately to my left and right, not just to the front and outside of the speakers; I started wondering if I’d gone back in time and had four speakers in the room!!!!!!! The stereo album is a nice recording with a great soundstage and depth, but not to the extent of the Quad album.

Here’s a picture of both albums; the Quad album will start spinning shortly. Also, here is a picture from 1973 with me in my apartment just off the ocean in Imperial Beach, CA. I’d recently returned from our 11–month participation in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. You can’t see it all in the picture, but that was my first Quadraphonic System (Sansui receiver & QS-800, Garrard Zero 100 Turntable, and Sansui SP3500 & SF2 Speakers).

338917485_RTM-1973-IMG_1127.thumb.jpg.b89c53303efb64d9f91318fa695683f9.jpg

1386050585_RTM-1973-IMG_0028.thumb.jpg.c2c8c2c311580abec22ecdbbf07c5ee7.jpg

• Like 5

VERNON PLANNING BOARD DENIES WOODSTOCK 50 APPEAL 

The Town of Vernon has once again denied a permit to the promoters of Woodstock 50 to hold the concert at Vernon Downs next month.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 9:33 PM
Updated: Jul 17, 2019 2:36 AM
Posted By: WKTV

VERNON - The Town of Vernon has once again denied a permit to the promoters of Woodstock 50 to hold the concert at Vernon Downs next month.

At a meeting Tuesday night, planning board members voted to reject Woodstock 50's appeal of a previous decision. Promoters have been trying for weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork to hold an anniversary concert at the racetrack August 16-18.

vernon-downs.jpg

Woodstock 50 released the following statement in response to the decision.

"Woodstock 50 is disappointed that the Town of Vernon has passed up the opportunity to hold the historic 50th Anniversary Festival by denying our robust and thoughtful proposal. We regret that those in Vernon who supported Woodstock have been deprived of the once-in-a-lifetime chance to be part of the rebirth of a cultural peace movement that changed the world in 1969 and is what the world needs now. We want to thank the artists who stood by us. We are grateful for the support of Vernon Downs and its generous owner Jeffrey Gural."

When asked if he would try again to gain a permit, Woodstock founder Michael Lang replied, "I won't try again here".

Several elected officials, including the Oneida County Executive and Sheriff, have voiced their opposition to the concert on the grounds that it would be too difficult to properly plan for in a short amount of time.

County Executive Anthony Picente issued a statement Tuesday night, reacting to the town's decision: 

“I’m pleased with the decision of the Town of Vernon Planning Board to uphold the town codes officer’s decision denying Woodstock 50 a permit. As I’ve said earlier, inadequate planning and a dangerously truncated timeframe made having this event in less than 30 days from today impossible and irresponsible.”

Woodstock 50 is disappointed that the Town of Vernon has passed up the opportunity to hold the historic 50th Anniversary Festival by denying our robust and thoughtful proposal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can not believe how much I am enjoying the whole turntable thing.

I dont have much of a collection at the moment of vinyl, however what I do have i was in my late teens when I got most of them and I didn't handle them with too much care at that time unfortunately. Now I am treating them with so much care it is unreal. Amazing how I haven't put on white gloves on yet when handling them.  lol

However there was one I got as a gift and I did not give it much attention at the time.  I was given the vinyl pretty much when it was first released.  As it did not get much play time then, it is in immaculate condition and right now I have replayed it like 10 times already as to me it sounds phenomenal.  such clear and beautiful sound.  This record is well over 20 years old, I just cleaned the record, cleaned the stylus and had the record spinning with the stylus on it and wow. The picture is of this vinyl.

If you ask me the after listening to this, what I am hearing right now, in my room with my gear the analog vs digital debate is a real one.

20190718_222005.thumb.jpg.201388c61bddcba51416947c3c6557ee.jpg

• Like 5

So I had several that had seen better days & the used LP store is where I go when I've got a spare moment now. 

Landed on a couple that one was sealed, the other looked new too. Unreal to me `cept that fella hears me when I say what I'm looking for !! Got $15, spent a twenty and these sound so good tonight!

IMG-20190718-222448.jpg

IMG-20190718-222609.jpg

FF to a minute in:

• Like 5

On 7/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Buck115 said:

Ten Years After – A Space In Time (Quadraphonic recording)

Until recently, the last time I played the Quad LP was on my last Quadraphonic setup (Marantz 4400 and Sansui speakers). When I played the Quad album on my current Stereo setup, I was startled when guitars and other instruments appeared immediately to my left and right, not just to the front and outside of the speakers; I started wondering if I’d gone back in time and had four speakers in the room!!!!!!! The stereo album is a nice recording with a great soundstage and depth, but not to the extent of the Quad album.

Here’s a picture of both albums; the Quad album will start spinning shortly. Also, here is a picture from 1973 with me in my apartment just off the ocean in Imperial Beach, CA. I’d recently returned from our 11–month participation in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. You can’t see it all in the picture, but that was my first Quadraphonic System (Sansui receiver & QS-800, Garrard Zero 100 Turntable, and Sansui SP3500 & SF2 Speakers).

338917485_RTM-1973-IMG_1127.thumb.jpg.b89c53303efb64d9f91318fa695683f9.jpg

1386050585_RTM-1973-IMG_0028.thumb.jpg.c2c8c2c311580abec22ecdbbf07c5ee7.jpg

Great post Buck!!! TYA - A Space In Time was one of my main lp's to do just what you were doing in the photo...And you are so right as good as the original lp sounded the Quad recording is mind blowing!!! Thanks!

Ten Years After - A Space In Time.  1972

The Quad version...

15635940084306714381192834874873.jpg

• Like 4

I'm going to be a bad machine and post the second Tape Project Reel tape, of the 2 track, 15 i.p.s. eic equalization, recorded 1:1, from the original master tapes in all its analog glory!!!!

Don't tell Full Range...

The Tape Projects - Clifford Brown - Memorial Album.

Recorded August 28, 1953

15636007422697887934124774523685.jpg

• Like 4

Linda Ronstat, bet that half-speed is smooth sounding!

& a good trumpeter through Khorns... it's been so long that if I did not have the K-55V/K700 in the Supers I could not imagine how that experience would be.

Good Stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here we go!  Slipped out to jam nite w/my buddies last night who are getting it together for a three-nite gig at one of the local beer gardens during our Bratwurst Festival in August.  Ran the entire playlist last night and were spot on with everything.  Bass man was a former stand in with Bad Company so I talked the guys into cuttin him loose for a lil trial run.  He nailed it and those there went crazy, which is a good thing.  Ya don't let a bass man just thumpity thump imo.  So I told him when they were done he had a lot of room for improvement if he wanted that solo to stay in the playlist.  hahahaha  He said you want it you got it so I'm lookin forward to hearing him.  Should be nails knowing him.  l'm still chuckling just as they are at me!  lol  I've known these guys since we were all kids.  They didn't laff too hard.  Worked though.  :)

Nice to see the Mossyone in here lurkin and spinnin!  @oldtimer what's w/you?  Imma lovin it!  :)  Let em rip brother!!!  @fastpuce271 Feeding your new found addiction?  YES!  :)

Goin back to '70 with a lil Grand Funk cause I'm feelin it!  "Closer To Home" was their 3rd LP released in June and also became their 3rd Gold of 1970...    "I'm Your Captain" is such a great song!  Then I wanted a bit of "Some Kind of Wonderful" from their '74 release of "all the girls in the world Beware!  Those boys from Flint, MI hammered the world w/their "hard" rock!  :)

Grand Funk - Closer to home 1970.jpg

Grand Funk - All the girls in the world beware 1974.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Goin back to '70 with a lil Grand Funk cause I'm feelin it!  "Closer To Home" was their 3rd LP released in June and also became their 3rd Gold of 1970...    "I'm Your Captain" is such a great song!

Great play! That album and that song, "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)", has always been very special to me!!!!! When we left the Tonkin Gulf for the last time in 1973 and started our trip back home, they played that song over the USS Midway's (CVA-41) intercom system. I don't think there was a dry eye aboard that ship at that moment in time!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

Great play! That album and that song, "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)", has always been very special to me!!!!! When we left the Tonkin Gulf for the last time in 1973, they played that song over the USS Midway's (CVA-41) intercom system. I don't think there was a dry eye aboard that ship at that moment in time!

Nice to get the H3(E outta there!  That song resonated with EVERYone!  Instant HIT!

• Like 3