Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

The wait is OVER!  I now know what I have!  Turntable looks great, runs but needs a new drive belt for sure then we'll give it a test run and see what happens. 

Hmmmm, I think I owe the UPS store that was used a BIG solid.  Picked these up @ auction for $55.  The auctioneer said they had the original boxes which was a plus as did the Thorens TD-160.  Welllll, the turntable did but the speakers didn't so I must have begged well when I talked to them about shipping.  Shipping?  Well that's ANOTHER story but factored into the big picture I made out like a bandit.  Shipped Tuesday and arrived here today.  I posted the speaker pics a week ago in the Vinyl Record Spinning thread but had no clue since no tag pics.   We all kinda had ideas what they were.  MAYBE!  We were ALL wrong!  Sweet old pair of KG4's.  I mean Klipsch for $55?  Ya just CAN'T walk away from that!  Yet to test run but no reservations, especially when the old guy that owned it had a stylus guard on the cartridge.  Should be sweet for that lil college girlie of mine!

Now WHERE is that stinking cat???  She's not gettin these!

UPS.jpg

UPS2.jpg

UPS3.jpg

NOW where do I put them?  Ugh!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The 160 is gonna need some work I think but not too much.  Plugged it in and things ran but the drive pully wobbled and was noisy (oil hopefully), belt replacement and it would prolly be wise to replace the springs.  The tone arm looked fine but weight was @ 2 and the cart was junk.  Some unheard of cart w/a $30 replacement stylus.  hahaha  I'll get something for that as the weather changes into winter here.  Think I'll play with it myself cause you guys are here and it can't be that tough.  Small sliver outta the bottom of the cover and it also has a melted spot on the top but who cares?  lol  My Linn, I'll let that 6 month skool trained dude handle it.  Prolly would be cheaper to buy a new one with the shape this one's in.  lol  He'll handle it and the cart install.  Might just wind up wanting to try my hand on the Linn after the 160. It'll shake out in time.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, Dave1290 said:

Kinda nice when ya start and all of a sudden things just start falling into place like ya knew what you were doin!  lol  Well, kinda maybe!

Peter_Gabriel.jpg

genesis_-_secconds_out.jpg

Electric-Prunes-Too-Much-to-Dream.jpg

hendrix.jpg

Not picking on you but, I had too much to dream last nite...Still have one LP of their...coolish man

• Like 3

On 10/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, Dave1290 said:

The wait is OVER!  I now know what I have!  Turntable looks great, runs but needs a new drive belt for sure then we'll give it a test run and see what happens. 

Hmmmm, I think I owe the UPS store that was used a BIG solid.  Picked these up @ auction for $55.  The auctioneer said they had the original boxes which was a plus as did the Thorens TD-160.  Welllll, the turntable did but the speakers didn't so I must have begged well when I talked to them about shipping.  Shipping?  Well that's ANOTHER story but factored into the big picture I made out like a bandit.  Shipped Tuesday and arrived here today.  I posted the speaker pics a week ago in the Vinyl Record Spinning thread but had no clue since no tag pics.   We all kinda had ideas what they were.  MAYBE!  We were ALL wrong!  Sweet old pair of KG4's.  I mean Klipsch for $55?  Ya just CAN'T walk away from that!  Yet to test run but no reservations, especially when the old guy that owned it had a stylus guard on the cartridge.  Should be sweet for that lil college girlie of mine!

Now WHERE is that stinking cat???  She's not gettin these!

UPS.jpg

UPS2.jpg

UPS3.jpg

NOW where do I put them?  Ugh!

Dang... what?

• Haha 2

This album is timeless for its beauty 

Recorded when this artist was 20 years old, and first released in 1961 

Artist - Joan Baez 

Title - Volume 2 ( Self Titled ) 

This album is a remastered reissue 

On Vanguard VSD-2097

US release 1987 

7D2D3046-0300-4389-B82D-F041BBD06A3F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hi guys
I’m sure this is the wrong place to ask this question
I have a new pro-ject essentials 3 table
Want I do t understand is this
On the anti skating weight and wire that hooks onto the tonearm. Why is it behind the
Pivot point and not in front of it
To me, I would think that if it’s behind where it swings from let to right. That it should make it pull to the right! Not to the left
As the LP spins and the needle is in the LP
The anti skate should help it to be more on the center of the grove.
Here’s a pic of the table and hopefully someone can educate me on this and tell me if I’m thinking backwards
751bca0fb2874f098744c887acf589ac.jpgd122107834fa288cc004b3b0032417aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The tendency of the tonearm on a spinning record is to move towards the center.   Anti skate helps to correct this tendency by applying an outward force.  The force exerted on the tonearm varies across the width of the disc, so a static anti skate is at best an average as there will be only one spot where it is set perfectly.

There are lots of explanations out there, such as this one:

http://theturntableshop.com/turntable-set-up/turntable-anti-skating/

• Thanks 1

A Yamaha table using now is located similar ly to the pic shown on the project pic above. Anti skate weight on the side towards lp, or the left side of arm. Have used it with and without the static weight and does better with.

Abit curiot as Sansui table had adjustable anti skid on right side of arm. Curious... thanks...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Hi guys
On the anti skating weight and wire that hooks onto the tonearm. Why is it behind the
To me, I would think that if it’s behind where it swings from let to right. That it should make it pull to the right! Not to the left

How about the three feet? That bugged me more on mine.

After I aligned the tonearm height & level, set weight, made sure it dropped in the right place I noticed it was dropping onto the LP at an angle so I moved it and it drops straight down. I moved it and it seemed better. Then double checked everything.  Liked the way my old Yamaha tt had the dial on it better.

That concerned me for a while but it sounds so good I let it go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Hi guys
Here’s a pic of the table and hopefully someone can educate me on this and tell me if I’m thinking backwards

Design wise it’s not so great 

I have read that the wire at the notched bar end tends to slip off 

If that happens a little blue tack is the answer 

ProjectEssential2_2_4eda68c6-5138-4965-b

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I understand what it should do

I just don’t understand how or why it works the way pro-ject has it setup. It seams backwards to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of leverage to the outside versus force to the center is confusing?  Look at it the opposite way.  If it were set up opposite the pull would be to the center of the lp.  That is the reverse of what is attempted to be accomplished.

• Like 2