Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

46 minutes ago, Full Range said:

A little fuller overall and the crescendo sections are richer 

But I put that down to the sensitivity of my system and speakers 

You still did not answer the question... Or part of it...

All that I found out . was your speakers and/or system has a lot of empathy....

I think you should have a shoot out..

And a/b each record....

And turn the volume up !I

That should straighten everything out...

So what pressing did you .. Like better ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

You still did not answer the question... Or part of it...

All that I found out . was your speakers and/or system has a lot of empathy....

I think you should have a shoot out..

And a/b each record....

And turn the volume up !I

That should straighten everything out...

So what pressing did you .. Like better ?

I liked the English 1st release pressing better 

The differences in SQ are very small and my comments reflect more a feeling felt listening to both records 

Sometimes it’s hard to describe why one likes this pressing over the other 

Others may feel the opposite 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Like Bart Simpson finally getting his spy camera---it's here!

John-Coltrane-Blue-World-album-cover-820.jpg

Well....It's a lovely bit of rediscovered history.  The pressing itself is superb, very quiet.  180g.  The music was done for an art film in French Canada, and the original 15ips mono tapes are used, you can hear the various takes being announced before the tracks.  There is a nice bass solo, and on side B, there is a sequence that is kind of mind blowing.  In layman's terms I'll describe it as the quartet doing loop de loops with the melody and rhythm that makes your head spin following it, releasing an opioid effect upon the jazz aware.  This is not an lp meant to be an lp, rather a discovery of recordings for a purpose that no one realized existed until recently.  If you are into Coltrane, and that style of jazz---and it's bluesy, but before the blues funk that followed---then this is a must have for your listening pleasure.  Find it at mosaic records.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Full Range said:

The differences in SQ are very small and my comments reflect more a feeling felt listening to both records 

My friends and I used to pay more for the UK imports because the pressings were better---quieter, and therefore small details could be heard.  Then I discovered the Japanese pressings and they were even better.  The returns are greatest with mass produced readily accessible music.  By the early 80's, US pressings got better again, thanks in part to the Talking Heads and the B 52's, because they cared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Full Range said:

So everything is still in the eye and/or ear of the beholder...

Turn it up anyways !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

My friends and I used to pay more for the UK imports because the pressings were better---quieter, and therefore small details could be heard.  Then I discovered the Japanese pressings and they were even better.  The returns are greatest with mass produced readily accessible music.  By the early 80's, US pressings got better again, thanks in part to the Talking Heads and the B 52's, because they cared.

http://vinyljunkies.co/vinyl-101-original-vs-reissue/

https://www.discogs.com/group/thread/503285

https://lp.reverb.com/articles/what-to-know-about-japanese-pressings

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/70s-us-vinyl-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.693837/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:40 PM, Dave1290 said:

I'm just hangin and thunkin.  Nosin in some auction stuff lately but nuttin really interests me so we're back into the money hoarding mode!  Had to shoot the Schiit Mani boys an email.  Developed a hum and isolated it to the Mani.  It's going back soon since they said they'd take a look at it.  Thinkin about a Puffin now since I opted for the cheaper Mani initially.  Sounded fine then boom it wasn't as bright on the high end as it should have been.  So we'll see what they say.  They were nice enough to give me all of these problem-solving hints though.  hahaha  Sure I checked them allllll out too and the hum is still there.  Seriously?  It's possible the cart is puking on the Linn though but the Mani is the easiest starting point.  Might just order a Puffin.  Now I'm going back into my little padded cell...  hahahaha

For sure, a Puffin is maybe called for. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

My friends and I used to pay more for the UK imports because the pressings were better---quieter, and therefore small details could be heard.

dang ... you’re practically bowing to the Queen.   Good man! She’d probably like your hot sauce. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Different decade here at 15 -16 years old this cassette was played over and over forever. It did not come out of the Charger's tape deck for months. LP came up for every get together & got worn out. New copy from a while back has nostalgic info inside. Interesting cover..it ticked off everyone's parents.

IMG-20191111-192916.jpg

• Like 3