Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

22 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

The Schitt boy''s must have heard me taking their name in vain...  Repaired and shipped today sooo we shall see...  Couple new LP's today and nothing to play them on.  Sheesh!  Been LOST here and sick of listening to sterile CD's.    :)

Guess we'll have you dj-ing again soon.... good luck with it man!

• Thanks 1

Used to say "I'll never live further than a mile away from a K-Mart."

They had everything under the sun in there back then. If they didn't have it I figured I didn't need it!!

Edited by JohnJ
it's just appropriate
  • Haha 3

A New Zealand band that some may possibly recognise 

I would categorise the genre as new wave / rock 

The band released  some albums under this name then they moved to England and changed the bands name to The Exponents 

Not a bad album overall 

Artist - The Dance Exponents 

Title -  Prayers Be Answered

First press on Mushroom records NZ 

ID - L38077

4-A13-C55-C-3-EAB-4-A9-F-A6-DD-CFE4620-D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
Pin image
Pin image

well played brother Mike, well played.  I worked at a Kmart for about a week. I was sent home my first day because i wasn’t wearing a belt. I was busy doing stuff at closing time and got locked IN the store. Thankfully, the manager was in the parking lot talking and saw me inside the store and unlocked it. The cleaning crew was there but they were locked in all night by design.  I was going to call the fire department (don’t know if they had 911 back then).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ohh whoa

This is the music I know
I feel I gotta let it show
This is the music I know
It's to you, I gotta let it show

IMG-20191206-204146.jpg

The second tune off the record was big on the radio around here for a couple of years after this came out in `81.

Missed out on them here in town but in about `01 or 02 they opened a new Harley dealership just north of the Satellite Beach bridge on US1.

Not bad for some old rockers even then!

• Like 2

Hmmm weird.  Got an LP today from Amazon on the porch.  Finally ventured out tonite and stopped at the mailbox.  Cardboard box in there from Schiit so the Mani came home!  Shipped Monday from Cali and in Ohio Friday?  Seems as though the US Postal Service stepped up their game for the holidays.

Before I shipped it I put a lil sharpie dot on the bottom.  Note with it said no problem found.  Yet no sharpie dot on the bottom.  Makes ya wonder doesn't it?  I did attach a note telling them what I was running and what I was hearing and about the hum.  The female who who checked it out signed her name and put a lil note there for me "Hope you enjoy!  It should sound stellar now!  Merry Christmas Dave" and put a smiley face on it. 

Now I don't know what she did but I do know this.  It sounds even better than it did new.  No hum anywhere and the mids and highs sound amazing.  Winwood is sounding fantastic!  That's some Schiit!

Maybe an elf???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That's strange they would ship you a new or refurb and not admit the one you marked had an issue. Glad the new to you one sounds good @Dave1290

I agree John and thought the same thing.  They do have a two-year warranty though.  I know if i was runnng repairs for Schiit I'd have some "upgraded boards" for audiophiles so maybe them seeing what I had helped.  That's just a guess though dunno.  Whatever it is I have to take into consideration the "innards" aren't burned in too.  Sounds fantastic now though so giving this a spin and it's sweet!  Gotta love the jazz renditions of the Allman Brothers.

IMG-20191206-223759244.jpg

• Like 3

https://www.loudersound.com/features/buyer-s-guide-genesis

Genesis: A guide to their best albums

By Gary MacKenzie (Classic Rock) August 15, 2018 Classic Rock  

Overblown art-rock, mediocre AOR, or artistically redundant pop? We don our capes and peer through the dry ice to guide you through the best Genesis albums

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
3bYWfU3GejxyxBoAtygVFc-320-80.jpg
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Advertisement

‘Gabriel – good, Collins – bad’ (or indeed vice versa) is a common sub-text in discussions between Genesis fans. That split view of Genesis’s music over the years is based mostly on the assumption that during each of those two frontmen’s respective eras with the band, Genesis’s music was rigidly delineated musically, and/or that the frontmen were always the chief architects of the band’s music at the time. But it’s a flawed premise that such an argument is based on. At all stages of the band’s career, all the members of Genesis contributed to the songwriting and arrangements, and the shift from Gabriel-led epics to Collins-fronted pop was neither instant nor as obvious as is often made out. 

Although Genesis came to epitomise the sound and character of British progressive rock – far more so than the deliberately abstruse eclecticism of King Crimson or the pastorally inclined, cod-mysticism of Yes – it’s worth recalling that that perception actually outlived for some considerable time Gabriel’s departure in 1975, and that their first real singles chart success was not some Collins-fronted 80s blockbuster but the typically quirky Gabriel-esque I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)... in ’74.

Here, we present a brief history of Genesis, as told by their best albums.

missing-image.svg

A Trick Of The Tail (Charisma, 1976)

missing-image.svg

A masterful riposte to the nay-sayers in the immediate aftermath of Gabriel’s departure. From the muscular, deceptively complex opener Dance On A Volcano to the closing fusion-esque instrumental Los Endos, this album affirmed that Genesis were far from washed up artistically. Melodic ballads contrast with more rocky, character-based narratives, and while prog-heavy the record sounds more mainstream than its predecessors.

A massively important record for the band, who with it effectively came out from the shadow cast by their ex-frontman Gabriel. Sadly, they never bettered it.VIEW DEAL

Selling England By The Pound (Charisma, 1973)

missing-image.svg

Gabriel is superlative, and the musicians apply themselves with controlled passion to an album which successfully celebrates, caricatures and comments on the nature of Britain and Britishness.

Creating backdrops to diverse themes – gang violence (The Battle Of Epping Forest); ruminations on gender (Cinema Show); a supermarket price-list (Aisle Of Plenty) – extraordinary and gorgeous performances proliferate. The strength, consistency and exquisiteness of the material is enhanced by a crisp, rich production.

A milestone of near-flawless prog rock, the album doesn’t have a single ugly sound.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Charisma, 1974)

missing-image.svg

A surreal adventure of a New York street kid, Rael, and a cast of decidedly strange characters, The Lamb… is the essential prog concept album. A structured, cleverly scripted set of connected songs performed by a band at the top of its game.

A more contemporary lyrical feel contrasts with the bizarre storyline, and musically the shifting moods are captured perfectly.

After punk, such records were savaged for their pomposity and portentousness. Yet art so well-crafted, entertaining and thoughtful needn’t apologise for itself. “If you think that it’s pretentious, you’ve been taken for a ride”… indeed.VIEW DEAL

Foxtrot (Charisma, 1972)

missing-image.svg

Supper’s Ready, the archetypal prog epic – 23 minutes of unabashed musical/lyrical acrobatics and allusions to the Book of Revelations and classical mythology (not to mention the flowers, geese, and “Winston Churchill dressed in drag”) – isn’t the only reason to buy Foxtrot. The album also includes two other Gabriel-era favourites: Watcher Of The Skies, with its dystopian future earth, and Get ‘Em Out By Friday, a sardonic commentary on corporate greed. Individual contributions are central to this album’s impact, Tony Banks’ Watcher…, his wonderful keyboard solo on Apocalypse In 9⁄8, and Steve Hackett’s solo guitar composition Horizons being evocative illustrations.VIEW DEAL

Seconds Out (Charisma, 1977)

missing-image.svg

With a polished, powerful and very accessible live celebration of both past glories and then-current material, Genesis demonstrate exactly why fans were flocking to see the band on stage. Collins’ voice smooths some of the quirky edges off older material, and Hackett, Banks and Rutherford turn in consummate and studied performances of everything from Supper’s Ready to Afterglow, ably assisted by drummer-for-hire Chester Thompson. Indeed, this is very much a drummer’s album, not least for the sole track from the ’76 tour (Cinema Show), on which Bill Bruford is joined by Collins in a jaw-dropping percussive backing to Banks’ showcase keyboard onslaught.VIEW DEAL

Duke (Charisma, 1980)

missing-image.svg

Genesis created something of a hybrid with Duke. As well as having moments of terrific energy and musical drama, the record was also the tipping point for the band’s enviable pop fortunes over the next decade. Alongside Turn It On Again and Misunderstanding (massive in America) are simplified beats and memorable hooks (and the vaguest whiff of mawkishness).

Ignoring Genesis’s impact on 80s popular music would be churlish – the fact is that, whatever the zeitgeist may have been, they sliced through it with surgical precision. Those still hankering after a bygone age got a generally satisfying product, but the die had definitely been cast.VIEW DEAL

Nursery Cryme (Charisma, 1971)

missing-image.svg

This first album from the ‘classic’ Rutherford/Banks/Gabriel/Hackett/Collins line-up may sound dated now, but a growing level of unique invention was evident in timeless Genesis now-standards The Musical Box and The Return Of The Giant Hogweed. There’s terrific ensemble playing throughout, lyrical erudition and Gabriel’s dry wit. On Harold The Barrel, he skilfully weaves a tale of mental illness and suicide – a challenge that he pulls off with aplomb. An interest in mythology (an influence that can also be discerned in the band’s next three albums) finds expression in the proto-epic Fountain Of Salmacis, hinting at what was to come on Foxtrot.VIEW DEAL

Genesis Live (Charisma, 1973)

missing-image.svg

Released as a minor stop-gap while Genesis worked on Selling England By The Pound, this is a great sampler from the early years. The performances are spot-on and the stirring magic of the shows is evident.

Collecting together live mainstays like Watcher Of The Skies, The Musical Box and The Knife, the album emphasises the surprising synergy between the five very young musicians – listen out for Steve Hackett’s often understated yet sublime guitar work, and the ever-unsung Mike Rutherford underpinning the band and adding sparkle with his undeniable skills as bassist and sometime 12-string guitarist. Shame there’s no Supper’s Ready though.VIEW DEAL

Wind And Wuthering (Charisma, 1976)

missing-image.svg

Wind And Wuthering posed a problem for Genesis: with the huge success they’d just had with Trick Of The Tail, how could they now capitalise on the momentum they had picked up via that album?

In failing to come up with a suitable answer, they ended up producing a pleasantly atmospheric work that had real flashes of excitement and majesty (for example, in 11th Earl Of Mar, Wot Gorilla? and Blood On The Rooftops, the end of One For The Vine), but much of it is far too wistful and polite for its own good. This ‘Trick…- Lite’ album clearly failed to keep Steve Hackett engaged, and proved to be his final studio album with Genesis.

• Like 2