Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Got some winners right up there ^^^^^^^^ sports fans!   Thanks for that @MicroMara!  Heck we just play and share in here.  I don't think anyone counts!  We just GO!  :)

"Train of Thought" was Dream Theater's 7th studio album released in 2003.  Portnoy said it was written in response to a heavier and even darker audience of heavy metal fans taking only 3 weeks to write.  Trust me it IS that but he cooks!

Dream_Theater_-_Train_of_Thought_2003.jp

Awake is their third studio album released in 1994.  Great album and well received by everyone.  It was the last one though for keyboardist Kevin Moore who bowed out after that one.  Clean and very tight all the way thru!

IMG-20200207-151437283.jpg

Ok, outta the Dream Theater rut and moving on to SOMEthing...  Hmmmmm  :)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Has an MC or MI cartridge and stylus type discussion happened anywhere on here? I'm in the market...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you want to know 

Be aware that some high spec MM or M Iron carts use an MC phono 

And can be as good as any MC cart 

• Like 3

What do you want to know 
Be aware that some high spec MM or M Iron carts use an MC phono 
And can be as good as any MC cart 

I have looked at Soundsmith Otello MI (old version) and Denon 301 MK II as my budget is low. I currently run a Denon DL-110 as my main cart. My preamp can accommodate low output. I'm wondering if I need to jump my budget to really see any improvement. Related to that, perhaps a different stylus shape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Found that Soundsmith site due to @dirtmudd and his endless access to www knowledge.

Read about the differences in the stylus cuts there. They also make a good argument for the iron cart there. Shibata or Fine Line is shaped more like the grooves in the records. Therefore it can "extract" more of the recorded sound from them, more from dust and scratches also (beware)! Also shaped like the groove implies correctly that other types of needles aren't. The elliptical is rounded and doesn't touch much of the surface. Over time it can degrade the record.  A fine line set up right can protect your records from that kind of mileage damage. My mc was double the cost of the most recent fine line mm I had but way more sensitive to the material put into the vinyl.

So if you've only had experience with mm's and want improvement without breaking the bank on a new preamp at the same time? Check to see the type of styli you have now, if you can upgrade to shibata or whatever the particular manufacturer calls that "nude" shank diamond cut.... do it!

Got to check to see if it's compatible specs wise, but ya'll are probably are aware of that already.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Dang didn't that same thing happen about five years ago? Tons of masters lost?

criminal.

You're thinking of the UMG fire.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.html

The vinyl-related fire was a lacquer manufacturing plant / warehouse.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/apollo-masters-fire-vinyl-records-lacquer-production-949648/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Trying to find a few now and fill some holes.  Thanks for that heads up @codewritinfool!  It rolls down hill here in Ohio yanno.  Always LAST for the relevant stuff!  lolol  Will be interesting to see what the cause was.  Gonna be slim pickens down the road I'm thinkin but that's just my thoughts on it.  Great way to start a Saturday morning.  That and waitin for coffee.  lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was workin afternoon shift yesterday for some weird reason.  Crashed @ 2 and actually slept til 10 sooooo.  I think I need barbitchuate's but that's not gonna happen today.  Take melotonin or this or that...  Blech!  Just grind thru it.  Actually woke up at 2PM one day last week.  Tripped me out when I looked at the clock.  Didn't go to sleep til 7ish though.  Just nuts for me anymore.  lol  First mugga is comin right up!  :)

• Like 2

Yes, that's really tragic with the American vinyl factory, an infinite number of master tapes have probably been lost forever. But it just happened and we can't undo it. That's why we should honor our vinyl treasures all the more.

Best Regards MicroMara

• Like 2