Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

16 hours ago, Full Range said:

After Selling England By The Pound In the same year 1973 Genesis released a live album 

What a great track selection in this album and the SQ is also very good 

A1 Watcher Of The Skies  
A2 Get 'Em Out By Friday  
A3 The Return Of The Giant Hogweed  
B1 Musical Box  
B2

The Knife 

To identity my LP was a little tricky as I had to rely on the etchings on the runout 

So my LP is a 1975 UK reissue  - https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Live/release/3808180

Artist - Genesis

Title - Live 

4-E12-D262-E4-BE-489-F-BD2-A-295-F92-F8-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With the carona virus spreading  like a wildfire..

This seem appropriate

https://www.musicalbrick.com/10-reasons-why-suppers-ready-is-the-greatest-song-ever/

1. It’s 23 minutes long

It fits on one side of an LP record and runs for 22.54 minutes. This is story telling at it’s best, with enough space to include a love song and an adventure into strange new worlds. Sometimes it’s nice to sit down and enjoy a seven course meal, rather than a quick burger. The atmosphere of the song is electric. The best 23 minutes you’ll ever spend.

Supper’s Ready Illustrated by Nathaniel Barlam

2. It’s a concept piece

We all love stories, and Supper’s Ready really takes advantage of an interesting narrative and concept, just like a great book or movie. It is divided into seven sections and tells the story of two lovers who travel to strange worlds, eventually returning to their world only to witness the Apocalypse. Essentially it is a story of good versus evil, with some surreal parts, and a lot of biblical and literary references.

3. The Music

This is the most addictive song ever, and will never get boring on repeated listens. In fact new elements, sounds, references are found on each new listen. The mix of instrumental virtuosity, unpredictability and catchy melodies is absolutely astonishing. What style or sound do you like? It’s Progressive Rock, so it will include everything: fast, slow, hard, soft, acoustic, electric, folk, ballad, odd time signatures, and high-energy instrumentals. This song has it all! The song encapsulates everything great about Genesis during this era. Become lost in this labyrinthine music.

4. It was written by Genesis

Five of the best song-writers/musicians ever, composed and performed the best music ever written. They are good, collectively and individually, just look at their output.

5. Willow Farm

Part 4 of the song cuts short and is taken over by one of Gabriel’s most iconic moments – “A Flower?”. You didn’t see that coming! This is the beginning of “Willow Farm”, in which live, we see Gabriel appear in a “flower mask”. It’s very much a Python-esque scene dealing with the absurd English psyche. This medium-tempo funny rock part full of plays on words was seen as a light relief in the middle of this epic number.

6. It’s a religious experience when played live

“Six six six is no longer alone!” When Gabriel shrieks this live during the Apocalypse section, you really feel the devil has entered the room. Genesis is a live act. This song goes into another dimension live.

7. Peter Gabriel’s Costumes

apocalypse

As you can see from this website, we absolutely love the costumes 🙂 Why not dress up to add to the music? Theatre and movies do it! See our Lego costumes here

8. Apocalypse in 9/8

The piece moves on to “Apocalypse in 9/8,” a frightening and powerful section that is gradually built up on an unusual time signature. The musical climax of the suite features a complex organ solo played against a 9/8 rhythm section.

9. Apocalypse in 9/8

I know this part has been mentioned in number 8, but it deserves to be mentioned twice. In 9 and 8!

10.The Ending

This along with the Apocalypse section are so emotionally up-lifting, a real ‘hairs on the back of your neck standing up’ moment. During live performances a magnesium flash would reveal the previously black-clothed Magog masked Gabriel now all dressed in white and holding a neon light in front of him for the majestic finale. The piece ended with a fadeout both on record and on stage, usually leaving the audience breathless. What a way to close a song and an album.

Steve Hackett: ‘Supper’s Ready’

Listen to the Genesis revisited version of Supper’s Ready from 2012. Steve Hackett along with a fantastic group of singers and musicians reworked this classic. The personnel includes: Steve Hackett, Mikael Akerfeldt, Conrad Keely, Simon Collins, Lee Pomeroy Roger King, Dave Kerzner, Francis Dunnery, and Jeremy Stacey.

Steve Hackett – SUPPER´S READY – In collaboration with Todmobile and SinfoniaNord

The might Bill Bruford on drums !
  • Like 4

Different wavelength from you tonight bro, checking out some of the "new" vinyl.

JJ with a southern thing goin' on

IMG-20200312-195618.jpg

*I can hear "Lay Down Sally" at the beginning of the one Skynyrd covered!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 5

The older I've gotten (and I am old!) the more mellow I've become.  So I tend to end the listening day/evening with albums that are a bit "softer, soothing."  This lady, and several others I favor, sets the mood nicely.  Great vocals and supporting band.....

Ronstadt.thumb.jpg.cd91fc3524b4f7e72e3fe994422a2f97.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

With the carona virus spreading  like a wildfire..

This seem appropriate

We got warehouses of butter We got oceans of wine We got famine when we need it We got designer crime We got Mercedes, we got Porsche Ferrari and Rolls Royce Yeah We got choice

• Like 4

Get 'em out by Friday
You don't get paid 'til the last one's well on his way
Get 'em out by Friday
It's important that we keep to schedule, there must be no delay
I represent a firm of gentlemen who recently purchased this
House and all the others in the road
In the interest of humanity we've found a better place for you
To go, go-woh, go-woh
Oh no, this I can't believe
Oh Mary, they're asking us to leave
Get 'em out by Friday
I've told you before, 's good many gone if we let them stay
And if it isn't easy
You can squeeze a little grease and our troubles will soon run away
After all this time, they ask us to leave
And I told them we could pay double the rent
I don't know why it seemed so funny
Seeing as how they'd take more money
The Winkler called again, he came here this morning
With four hundred pounds and a photograph of the place he has found
A block of flats with central heating
I think we're going to find it hard
Now we've got them
I've always said that cash cash cash can do anything well
Work can be rewarding
When a flash of intuition is a gift that helps you excel-sell-sell-sell
Here we are in Harlow New Town
Did you recognize your block across the square, over there
Sadly since last time we spoke
We've found we've had to raise the rent again
Just a bit
Oh no, this I can't believe
Oh Mary, and we agreed to leave
This is an announcement from Genetic Control
It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on
Humanoid height
I hear the directors of Genetic Control have been buying all the
Properties that have recently been sold, taking risks oh so bold
It's said now that people will be shorter in height
They can fit twice as many in the same building site
They say it's alright
Beginning with the tenants of the town of Harlow
In the interest of humanity, they've been told they must go
Told they must go-go-go-go
I think I've fixed a new deal
A dozen properties, we'll buy at five and sell at thirty four
Some are still inhabited
It's time to send the Winkler to see them
He'll have to work some more
With land in your hand, you'll be happy on earth
Then invest in the Church for your heaven
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, billybob said:

Let off the gas pedal slowly:

Speed King was (is) a brand of bass drum kick pedal that at least in the 70's was notorious for squeaking.  No big deal unless recording with a mic everywhere.  But they really needed to be lubricated regularly to combat this.  I still liked it, the competition was a Ghost, but it was too loose for rapid thumping, at least for my taste.  Ah the details...Great clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike the last time I heard that 2525 it was on a transistor radio at the big pool at the new apartments our friend lived at.

12 foot deep end, diving board you had to climb a ladder to get to and sunburn.

Pretty good video to match the tune also!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1