Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

@JohnJ said .....Wasn't aware of that they always have glowing reviews.

Yes this is true and is always exactly the problem.Of course, this is all a question of the individual gear and your own listening demands. You read a good reviews about a product and believes automatically that it corresponds to the own requirements, thus one goes and buys it, but is annoying then if it is not as good as thought. Therefore I read reviews always in between the lines. This tells me if a product is interesting for me or not and whether I really need it.  Who wants to impress us old rabbits with words ? BTW..the last Audio Magazine I bought ? ...can´t remember !

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

@JohnJ said .....Wasn't aware of that they always have glowing reviews.

Yes this is true and is always exactly the problem.Of course, this is all a question of the individual gear and your own listening demands. You read a good reviews about a product and believes automatically that it corresponds to the own requirements, thus one goes and buys it, but is annoying then if it is not as good as thought. Therefore I read reviews always in between the lines. This tells me if a product is interesting for me or not and whether I really need it.  Who wants to impress us old rabbits with words ? BTW..the last Audio Magazine I bought ? ...can´t remember !

(quote) BTW..the last Audio Magazine I bought ? ...can´t remember ! 

Mine was Stereo Review in the 80s. I think I still have it somewhere. lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It always comes down to matching with the tonearm.

A TT  follows the laws of physics

A turntable is a complex electromechanical spring mass oscillating circuit

Consisting of five individual systems arranged in a row: 1) is the needle in the movable needle bearing 2) the tone arm in the chassis 3) form the two 1+2 together with the platter+platter bearing+chassis . In addition, the high frequency scanning for magnetic systems is indispensable: 4.+5.) the electrical resonant circuit of the pickup system and the supporting cantilever self-resonance. But these remain outside for the time being, since they only have an effect in the high frequencies >10Khz.

• Like 4

Ortofon Red had glowing reviews and their Silver which is supposed to be a step above that came with my current tt. It was trash, excuse me TRASH. Could have been the elliptical stylus shape but I think there was more to it than that.

I'm not ignorant of good sound from records.

I was in 1980 but was steered correctly by honest people at that physical stereo shop that did A to B comparisons for me. They liked a step above what I got but the $180 I spent back then for the one below it was good.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Ortophon black is the way to go.  Mara, I graduated, I just didn't know the 170 was MM.

That is one of their pricy ones, correct? Looked at their Bronze but got a better deal with the AT. So what I was talking about are their ubiquitous mm elliptical carts.

• Like 2

This isn't Dr. John to go with my red beans & rice late dinner but it is very nicely done classical guitar. Though it was going to be by that conductor that did all of the movie music.. but nope it is a gem.

PXL-20201024-232418065.jpg

PXL-20201024-232440935.jpg

* It could be the same guy, I'm not sure says he arranged the guitar work.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

This isn't Dr. John to go with my red beans & rice late dinner but it is very nicely done classical guitar. Though it was going to be by that conductor that did all of the movie music.. but nope it is a gem.

John Williams is an Australian classical guitarist 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That is one of their pricy ones, correct? Looked at their Bronze but got a better deal with the AT. So what I was talking about are their ubiquitous mm elliptical carts.

The black is a shibata.  Pricy, yes.  But not stupid pricy like lots of MC's.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

agreed , it´s about 600 € here and affordable

Our Australian pesos have a low exchange rate 

So it’s always more expensive looking at any upgrade from my part of the world 😭😭

So prudence and looking at everything holistically to see if it matches my system is key to not making expensive mistakes 

• Like 2

Managed to watch a little football this afternoon and listen to a couple new LP's.  Ray Wylie Hubbard's been around a loooong time but he's never given up.  His latest release is actually pretty cool with the lead track having Ringo Starr on drums and Joe Walsh workin a lil magic.  It's a funny kinda listen w/him sounding a lot like Bob Dylan both in the vocals and his style of play.  Side 2 is the strange one for me...  He really drew me into his music just like it's supposed to do.  Left me wanting another listen but it's some good stuff if ya want to check it out.  You'll be jammin before he's done!  

IMG-20201023-211556919.jpg

Another great tune of his from 2010...  Snake Farm!  

This one was lost in the shuffle long ago.  RSD #505 of 1k and it's still as good as ever!

IMG-20201023-220218801.jpg

:)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3