Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Well I’m not finished with Bing Crosby 

So I will continue on spinning 

Today on the platter are some classic tracks 

Artist - Bing Crosby 

Title - Songs I Wish I Had Sung (The First Time Around)

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Bing-Crosby-Songs-I-Wish-I-Had-Sung-The-First-Time-Around/release/9419045

B6792-B5-D-1-D2-E-4870-BE3-D-2-CCABD4-B0

• Like 5

If a non-attached dust cover, then the answer is obvious.  If an attached hinged cover, then it is because they don't want to slide it off the hinges.  There is an increased risk of feedback with the dust cover down at certain volumes.  By placing a weight on the cover such as the lp jacket you can mitigate this, but the best solution is playing without the cover down, or off.  There could be a risk of an upraised cover falling down as well during play, which would not be a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

If a non-attached dust cover, then the answer is obvious.  If an attached hinged cover, then it is because they don't want to slide it off the hinges.  There is an increased risk of feedback with the dust cover down at certain volumes.  By placing a weight on the cover such as the lp jacket you can mitigate this, but the best solution is playing without the cover down, or off.  There could be a risk of an upraised cover falling down as well during play, which would not be a good thing.

Reason I ask is my turntable sits in the middle shelf of my TV stand and that shelf isn't tall enough for the cover to be propped open during playback and it makes it impossible to remove the cover unless I take the whole turntable out of the stand. 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't committing some sort of unforgivable turntable sin by listening with the cover closed.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

This may seem like a very odd question.  I see everyone posting pics of their turntables with either the dust cover off or it tilted up while they're spinning a record.  Is there a reason for this?

With me it is more simple. My new tt does not have auto-return for the tonearm.

Usually I do not sit down on front of the stereo, I'm all over the place. So if I have to run to get the needle out of the deadwax I can't ad extra time for raising a lid. Left hand - down volume, right hand raise & return tonearm simultaneously. 

• Like 3

With me it is more simple. My new tt does not have auto-return for the tonearm.
Usually I do not sit down on front of the stereo, I'm all over the place. So if I have to run to get the needle out of the deadwax I can't ad extra time for raising a lid. Left hand - down volume, right hand raise & return tonearm simultaneously. 

Another simple reason not sound related is that Lid Up makes for a much better picture (not shooting through the lid) [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

This may seem like a very odd question.  I see everyone posting pics of their turntables with either the dust cover off or it tilted up while they're spinning a record.  Is there a reason for this?

I don’t have a traditional clear dust cover but use a large cloth to cover the TT when not in use 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Reason I ask is my turntable sits in the middle shelf of my TV stand and that shelf isn't tall enough for the cover to be propped open during playback and it makes it impossible to remove the cover unless I take the whole turntable out of the stand. 

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't committing some sort of unforgivable turntable sin by listening with the cover closed.  🙂

I have breached this thread many times, and may be forgiven.

You on the other hand are above any reproach...😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Feel I'm breachin'

Got to stop, I can't:lol:

The last tune played off that LP just brought me to a smile. No not a former lover that I thought of, but the attitude conveyed by the lyrics that would be called toxic today.

"Toxic"? f y, I'll show you toxic you lilly-livered wussy.

Long Live Ian Anderson!!

Well I'm a common working man
With a half of bitter, bread and jam
And if it pleases me I'll put one on you man
When the copper fades away
Whoa oh it's up to me
Ow!
Whoa you said it's up to me, yeah!

Take you to the cinema
And leave you in a Wimpy bar
You tell me that we've gone too far
Come running up to me
Hey!

Whoa, you know it's up to me, yeah!
Said it's up to me, yeah!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PXL-20201120-215224611.jpg

PXL-20201120-215137876.jpg

Trying to use what's here and ended up with brats onions and cheese biscuits for today and tomorrow.. no worries the am coffee makes it healthy especially with the vitamins I take with a meal. 

Ever experimented with your tea? Apologies to Ian but I dislike English teas, normally like it plain with lemon or with honey added to it. It can be nice when flavored, put a small clove in the pot tonight a stick of cinnamon and a wedge of an orange that I cut most of the meat out of it! It's good but next time I need to put more than my half cup of sugar in the gallon I make, the orange would come out more if I did that. Had to reheat some, it's good hot!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ever experimented with your tea? Apologies to Ian but I dislike English teas, normally like it plain with lemon or with honey added to it. It can be nice when flavored, put a small clove in the pot tonight a stick of cinnamon and a wedge of an orange that I cut most of the meat out of it! It's good but next time I need to put more than my half cup of sugar in the gallon I make, the orange would come out more if I did that. Had to reheat some, it's good hot!

I like tea equally with coffee ( but I roast my own coffee ) 

My daily cup of tea ( 1 )No Milk 

My daily cup of tea (2) No milk, add Manuka honey 🍯 and apple cider vinegar to the ratio you like best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The second cup sounds like sweet & sour. Could be nice!

Give it a try 

Some 20 years ago I was introduced to an Apple cider vinegar / honey tonic for health and well-being 

So I decided to try it with Tea - and it’s just terrific 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1