Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

One of my all time favorite records is the soundtrack to the movie Goin Surfing by the late Bud Browne. Back in the 70s they used to show surf movies in various cities at civic auditoriums. The only place to buy this record was at the movie event. I searched the world for this one - paid $50 for it and a year later found a copy of it at a neighboring garage/record sale for $2 - one of my favorite all time records

7B252597-5D21-4344-ABC0-CEA37577F801.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Hey, it was a legitimate question.  I've almost dropped records several times trying to hold them with one hand and open my TT cover with the other hand.  My TT is on the middle shelf of my TV stand and the shelf isn't high enough for the cover to stay up on its own.  If I used a microfiber glove I wouldn't have to worry as much and I could hold the record more securely without worrying about touching anything other than the edge or the label. 

I did put my turntable on a middle shelf, back when I had one of those 22-inch-wide Yamaha CR-1020 receivers that wouldn’t fit in any tall audio cabinet I saw, and I had to lift off the dust cover every time I wanted to spin a few LPs.  As soon as I got a more typical 17-inch-wide receiver, the turntable went on top of the cabinet.  Now all that’s in the cabinet is LPs on the bottom, the TV “set-top” box that won’t stay on modern TVs, a bunch of CDs and DVDs, and the long-unused cassette collection in a slide-out drawer on one side.

As the system expanded, I got a proper audio stand, and now all of the stereo electronics are on it.  The turntable is now six feet away from the electronics stack, but it seems happy there, and I never have to shift the cabinet to get at wires and cables behind it.

Why not look into locating the turntable on a shelf or stand by itself?  Otherwise, what about making up a little strut to hold up the dust cover when you’re playing records?  Holding a record in one hand while paying attention to something your other hand is doing can only lead to tears and/or cursing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Why not look into locating the turntable on a shelf or stand by itself?  Otherwise, what about making up a little strut to hold up the dust cover when you’re playing records?  Holding a record in one hand while paying attention to something your other hand is doing can only lead to tears and/or cursing.

My TT has built-in RCA cables that are very short.  I could relocate it but would then have to get two female to female RCA adaptors and add an additional length of RCA cable.  Otherwise the TT would have to sit directly on one of my subwoofers which I'd rather not do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

My TT has built-in RCA cables that are very short.  I could relocate it but would then have to get two female to female RCA adaptors and add an additional length of RCA cable.  Otherwise the TT would have to sit directly on one of my subwoofers which I'd rather not do. 

You're right, a TT on an SW would not work out well.  However, my Technics SL-1210M5G is like that, too, with non-removable phono cables.  I use a couple of female-to-female adapters, and another length of stereo RCA cable.  It works just fine.  If I wanted to eliminate one connection, I could look for extender interconnects, male on one end and female on the other, but I'm satisfied with the current setup.

If you use a quality interconnect and adapters, you'll never hear the difference, unless you're running a really long interconnect, like 20 feet or something.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

Tis the season 

Some say that this is the best Christmas album of all time 

And features many stars of the day on some tracks in accompaniment 

Artist - Bing Crosby 

Title - Merry Christmas 

30-BD7-FA4-FE07-472-B-86-A4-FAF0-A27-ADB

"Tis the Season" yes, indeed !!  Probably the time of year my TT is most active with spinning classic Christmas tunes such as "Charlie Brown" for the youngster in us and "M Steamroller" to really exercise your audio system....

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Full Range said:

Australiana “Party songs “

You need to be an Aussie to understand the slang but sometimes rare tracks can also be universal 

Artist - Barry (Bazza) Crocker

Title - Bazza McKenzie's Party Songs

72-B11422-9-AAE-401-C-A566-1-ED6485-D6-A

German Schlager ..

worstalbumcovers22.jpeg_BINARY_605728.jpg.b1ba467c0fbd3d3890a2d8719206587a.jpg

• Like 4