Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Just got this in the mail yesterday and I'm pretty much speechless as to what I've just heard.  IF you can believe that! 

I've known this guy for years, have everything he's ever done, love his wife and just can't say enough about his work.  Ya might just have seen him a few years ago when his "shovel guitar" pretty much went viral.  Justin Johnson made the transition to Nashville wanting to fulfill every artist's dream.  Hooked up with Johnny Cash's son, John Carter Cash and his wife.  Recorded several albums/cd's @ the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville with so many great "old" guys like Bootsy Collins and session dudes that Johnny knew and used.  So by golly they did it!  Formed "The Cash Collective" and put out an album called "Hey Crow!"  My thoughts?  Don't hesitate if you want vinyl cause copies are limited, cd's are just that, cd's!  Check their merch stores.  Great lp!

IMG-20210127-151800057.jpg

So much of Johnny and June in John Carter Cash.  Justin just rollin along  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

What makes these TD124 and TD125 so good? 

Have a look there, you´ll find some information about the Thorens history ....Page 4 , scroll down a little bit ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

td124 idler wheel of rim drive

td125 belt drive

not sure which sounds better

but maybe Allan can give us a breakdown .. or his thoughts idler vs belt...

The TD-124 is the best turntable I’ve ever owned - it has a bold, dynamic in-your-face quality that Ive only heard  from other idler wheel tables (Garrard 301, 401). 

The TD-125 was Thorens’ leap into the modern in 1967 and the build quality is really something else - it sounds a lot like all good suspension tables - maybe  quieter and maybe even more accurate but also sounds downright restrained when compared with the 124.  I set this one up for the Tarrantino film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” (I did all the HiFi stuff on that film).  When the film wrapped they gave it to me and I set it up in the desert.  It’s a good table and at $800-$1000 in good shape it’s a bargain.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

"Love Over Gold" seemed to start their true climb here in the US reaching 19 on the Billboard charts before being certified gold.  Mark Knopfler was gaining the recognition he deserved.  Even though it was only given a 4 of 5 star rating I, for the most part, enjoy it very much.  Knopfler is struttin his stuff and breaking away from his "norm."  Their 4th released in 1982.

'Love over Gold' has always been my favourite Dire Straits album! In fact, allow me to share a very personal story about this album. When it came out, I got a copy on cassette tape from my sister's boyfriend. This made it special, because this was music *I* had discovered by myself, not through some friends. It was my introduction to Dire Straits. This was, in fact, the first step in my personal, musical journey.

At the time, in the 1980s, 'Love over Gold' was one of the first 'popular music' albums that came out on CD and I made a promise to myself that, one day, when I could afford it, I would buy that CD! CDs were very expensive then, and a cd player cost €1.000 So, as the years passed, I collected all Dire Straits albums on vinyl, and much of Knopler's movie scores too (Local Hero, Cal, The Princess Bride), but I skipped 'Love over Gold', though it was my favourite album... I loved their live album 'Alchemy', which also was a great success commercially, and had many 'Love over Gold' songs on it with great, extended guitar solos.

So here is what I bought over the years on vinyl, back in the 1980s:

• Dire Straits
  • Communique
  • Making Movies
  • (Love over Gold)
  • Local Hero
  • Cal
  • The Princess Bride
  • Alchemy
  • Brothers in Arms

I stopped buying Dire Straits albums after Brothers in Arms, because to my feeling at the time, they had become too commercial, and the music was too pollished. 

Last year, at age 51,I decided to buy all Dire Straits albums on CD, Love over Gold included, and to fulfill the promise I had made myself back when I was a 15 year old teenager. I bought Alchemy Live on blu-ray. One album is missing in my collection, 'On Every Street' (1991). Which I will buy soon, I'm sure.

I'm still enjoying their music, perhaps even more. I find it astonishing that their Dire Straits sounds sounds so good, I mean 'audiophile grade' good, being their first album ever.

PSX_20210128_043724.jpg

PSX_20210128_041954.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Talking about Dire Straits, the most underestimated and forgotten Production .

On Every Street is the sixth studio album by the British rock band Dire Straits. It was released in September 1991 as the last studio album of the group.Six years after the successful album Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits released their last studio album. It is an album that goes from the sound rather back to the roots, but also strongly reflects the influence of Mark Knopfler, who at that time was already active as a solo artist. For example, the tracks Iron Hand or How Long are voice-oriented and without long instrumental passages, similar to pop music. Nevertheless, the album contains later classics such as Calling Elvis or Heavy Fuel, which were performed live during the following tour. The song On Every Street can be seen as a synthesis of the two described styles of the album: It begins with a strong vocal part of Mark Knopfler, but from the half the instrumental skills of the band come to the fore.

598274752_DireStraits.thumb.jpg.1c86a9a5a854fe25d84f41ed1a31128e.jpg

• Like 6

Cal, Knopfler. 

The movie is about the difficult situation in Northern Ireland at the time, a Catholic teen falling in love with an older, Protestant woman (Helen Mirren), or vice versa, can't remember exactly. I read the novel once, and watched the movie when it was on tv. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_(novel)

Lots of flute, and a deep Irish drum in some tracks, and Knopler's guitarwork, of course. 

PSX_20210129_074552.jpg

• Like 4

Well shoot,  I should have done a youtube search.  Did a quick google search and found nothing.  That's cool.  Looks like a audiophile grade player, yes?  😀  The guy who posted the vid was asked what its used for?  he says it is often used at barn square dances. No wonder I've never seen one, not had the pleasure of barn dancing.

• Haha 2

Just now, Shiva said:

Well shoot,  I should have done a youtube search.  Did a quick google search and found nothing.  That's cool.  Looks like a audiophile grade player, yes?  😀  

Don't think it would be audiophile grade 

More of an era piece one can converse about now and then 

• Like 2

Steely Dan, Gaucho.  On our simple, cheap Sony PS-T22, Audio Technica 3600 cart —-> Luxman R-117 —-> Cambridge Audio Aero 2 bookshelf speakers, dual Velodyne DD10. Nice sound, thank you Steely Dan.

Steely Dan Gaucho RL MD-1 pressing purchased in PX in Germany. Playing on Denon DP-62L with Ortofon 2M Bronze>Yamaha C-80 47kohm/220pF MM setting and tone bypass>Yamaha M-60>Klipsch La Scalas>Klipsch RW 8 subs LnR. Sometimes it’s just about great music appreciation and taking the time to listen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m happy to be spinning a record this weekend 

This album was first released in 1970 - but my album is a 2011 Reissue 

And also the next release after In The Court Of The Crimson King 

A great story is behind the cover art as well - Mike knows the story and link @dirtmudd

Artist - King Crimson 

Title - In The Wake Of Poseidon 

Album ID https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Wake-Of-Poseidon/release/3215081

7-E5-D4-ACB-639-B-4-C26-8-C04-7662-A17-A

• Like 5

@MeloManiac I see You use a Pro-Ject Essential III. At some point i plan to buy a TT as well. If i were to buy new, the Essential would about fit my price range. Apart from being a special edition, do You use it as it came out of the box, what have You changed? Would You buy it again?

I´m hijacking the thread (just this instant), excuse me guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1