Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

@MeloManiac I see You use a Pro-Ject Essential III. At some point i plan to buy a TT as well. If i were to buy new, the Essential would about fit my price range. Apart from being a special edition, do You use it as it came out of the box, what have You changed? Would You buy it again?

I´m hijacking the thread (just this instant), excuse me guys!

@AndreG.

I bought my special edition essential III new for a very low price (180 euro), and for that price it is a fine sounding turntable. I have been using it quite intensively for two years now, and in my opinion, it does have some shortcomings:

1. I miss the auto return function (when the end of side A is reached, it continues to turn until I manually bring back the arm and turn it off)
  2. A while ago, the volume in the right channel would drop, or be silent completely. I first thought it was a problem with the amplifer, but then I opened the connection box on the underside of the turntable (where the audio out is). It was very flimsily built so I poked my finger against the thin cables a couple of times (... I'm technically challenged...) and closed it again. The problem was solved just by doing that.
  3. I wish the feet could be adjusted
  4. I wish the tone arm was not plastic, but carbon
  5. I considered upgrading the Ortofon OM10 to the OM20, but haven't done that. They can still be found, but the Ortofon OM series of needles is obsolete, I found out.

If I take all the above into account, I think that that other Pro-Ject turntable, the Debut Carbon, would be a better investment: https://www.project-audio.com/en/category/turntables/debut-line/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

A great story is behind the cover art as well - Mike knows the story and link @dirtmudd

I found this reference about the artwork on the outer cover on - In The Wake Of Poseidon  

Album cover info from Wikipedia 

The work is called The 12 Archetypes or The 12 Faces of Humankind. The colour pictures were painted by Tammo De Jongh in 1967.

The twelve faces in the picture are as follows:

The Fool (Fire and Water): The laughing man with a wispy beard.

The Actress (Water and Fire): The Egyptian girl with long pearl earrings and many pearl necklaces around her neck, she has tears in her eyes.

The Observer (Air and Earth): A scientist type person with round spectacles pushed up above his brow, mostly bald head with white hair at the sides; his left hand is held up to his chin, he looks thoughtful.

The Old Woman (Earth and Air): A woman with much wrinkled face wrapped up against the cold.

The Warrior (Fire and Earth): A dark and powerful warrior's face in blacks and reds. He wears a steel helmet, broad square face, open mouth with square teeth and a full black beard.

The Slave (Earth and Fire): A black African with large gold earrings and a ring through her nose; the lips are full and pink, the eyes half-closed, sultry and sensuous; the expression is warm and friendly.

The Child (Water and Air): A picture of innocence; a girl with delicate sweet smile and butterfly shaped bows at each side in her long golden hair; her eyes are large and watery and she has a delicate sweet smile on her mouth. She wears a gold chain, on the end of which is a small golden key.

The Patriarch (Air and Water): An old philosopher, with a long face and long white hair and long white beard and moustache; white bushy eyebrows; all around are shapes like flowers or snowflakes; the brow is furrowed upwards from the nose in a fan-like fashion.

The Logician (Air and Fire): A scientist or wizard type man with long face, dark hair and long dark beard; he appears to hold a long stick or wand with his right hand and his left is held aloft and surrounded by stars.

The Joker (Fire and Air): The picture in bright reds and yellows is of a smiling twinkle-eyed Harlequin with his typical gold-stuccoed, triangular hat.

The Enchantress (Water and Earth): A sad girl with watery eyes ; her long dark hair is blown sideways across her face and brow from right to left.

Mother Nature (Earth and Water): Lying asleep in the long grass; their face in silhouette is viewed from the left side and all around are the flowers and butterflies.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AndreG. said:

@MeloManiac I see You use a Pro-Ject Essential III. At some point i plan to buy a TT as well. If i were to buy new, the Essential would about fit my price range. Apart from being a special edition, do You use it as it came out of the box, what have You changed? Would You buy it again?

I´m hijacking the thread (just this instant), excuse me guys!

this thread is about vinyl and turntables.. you can't have one without the other !

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2021 at 12:49 AM, Allan Songer said:

Been a while since I showed my rig - still going strong!

TD-124

Ikeda 12” arm with Ortofon SPU GT

SME 3012 with Ortofon SPU mono

DDAA04C0-5B6B-42CC-B174-8612D07FF0F4.jpeg

On 1/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, dirtmudd said:

Allan is not holden out on the td125..

what else is he not sharing?

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

My ProJect has that queer tri-foot setup, is that what you're talking about?

Love the tt, it is just odd to me.

2 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Yes, there are only three feet. But on the Carbon, you can turn them to ajust the height. 

the thorens td 124 , 150 , 125 , 160

are tri sprung turntables.... the base is not 

not sure on Garrad 301 or 401

maybe @Full Range can step up..

and give the details...

13 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Steely Dan, Gaucho.  On our simple, cheap Sony PS-T22, Audio Technica 3600 cart —-> Luxman R-117 —-> Cambridge Audio Aero 2 bookshelf speakers, dual Velodyne DD10. Nice sound, thank you Steely Dan.

Although it was one of Sony’s cheapest models from the early-1980’s, they didn’t make bad ones back then, so the PS-T22 is quite good. 

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sony-ps-t22.500425/

I'm sure if you had to replace it..

with a modern new table.... $600+

minimum

• Like 1

@dirtmudd thanks for the note, I had read that review and the vinyl engine and a phono cartridge review before buying. The fellow I bought from works on TT to help support his young family and did a great job, it is in very good condition.

Steely Dan Gaucho was in the used LP section of local store. Not perfect but the LP s in great shape, with a serious couple of cleanings. 

That is one amazing sounding record. Also got used copy of Paul Simon Graceland.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

not sure on Garrad 301 or 401

maybe @Full Range can step up..

and give the details...

The Garrard 301 & 401 are transcription turntables that were built for broadcast stations 

They were sold without a tonearm or a plinth and were generally fitted into cabinets in the radio station ( plans were supplied for the cutout and position of the bolt holes ) 

And yes they are indeed an idler pulley drive TT 

On my Garrard 401 I have made several plinths and this latest one that you see in posted photos is the best so far 

As for plinth base feet, my current plinth build has 3 feet but in the past I have used 4 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

The Garrard 301 & 401 are transcription turntables that were built for broadcast stations 

They were sold without a tonearm or a plinth and were generally fitted into cabinets in the radio station ( plans were supplied for the cutout and position of the bolt holes ) 

And yes they are indeed an idler pulley drive TT 

On my Garrard 401 I have made several plinths and this latest one that you see in posted photos is the best so far 

As for plinth base feet, my current plinth build has 3 feet but in the past I have used 4 

the question is still .. are they sprung turntables...

@Full Range  my music library is vast ... many types of music. A  couple of decades ago, Rick Wakeman was playing at a church down the road from my house. I took my entire family. My kids were young still and they were totally bored .  "songs have to have lyrics" they'd say. I tease my kids to this day about that event. they tell me now "we were kids then, we'd enjoy it a lot more now I'm sure."

Rick Wakeman is one of those artists that hold a special place in my heart. I remember being a kid and tagging along with my older brother and his friend as they went to the drive in theatre. On the way there they were listening to Yes, Close to the Edge on the eight track player. I knew that I loved what I heard and had to listen to everything that band put out. So, years later, meeting Rick and later communicating via email remains a great thrill to me. Who'd have thunk that a teenager tagging along with his big brother would end up creating such a powerful musical memory for me?

Heck, I even took a photo with YES a few years ago (sadly Rick wasn't playing with the band at the time ... but that evening I did manage to get Steve Howe to talk very briefly and Chris Squire passed away shortly after this photo but he heard me talk about his bass guitar and asked me "what were saying about my bass?"  I told him that it was one of the most beautiful instruments that I've ever seen ... and it was ... a stunning early 70s Rickenbacker 4001. He chuckled and said, "oh, it practically plays itself."  

IMG_2822.jpeg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

@Full Range  my music library is vast ... many types of music. A  couple of decades ago, Rick Wakeman was playing at a church down the road from my house. I took my entire family. My kids were young still and they were totally bored .  "songs have to have lyrics" they'd say. I tease my kids to this day about that event. they tell me now "we were kids then, we'd enjoy it a lot more now I'm sure."

Rick Wakeman is one of those artists that hold a special place in my heart. I remember being a kid and tagging along with my older brother and his friend as they went to the drive in theatre. On the way there they were listening to Yes, Close to the Edge on the eight track player. I knew that I loved what I heard and had to listen to everything that band put out. So, years later, meeting Rick and later communicating via email remains a great thrill to me. Who'd have thunk that a teenager tagging along with his big brother would end up creating such a powerful musical memory for me?

Heck, I even took a photo with YES a few years ago (sadly Rick wasn't playing with the band at the time ... but that evening I did manage to get Steve Howe to talk very briefly and Chris Squire passed away shortly after this photo but he heard me talk about his bass guitar and asked me "what were saying about my bass?"  I told him that it was one of the most beautiful instruments that I've ever seen ... and it was ... a stunning early 70s Rickenbacker 4001. He chuckled and said, "oh, it practically plays itself."  

IMG_2822.jpeg

For me, YES has been one of the 'black holes' in my musical journey, up to now. I only know Jon Anderson from his collaborations with Vangelis.

So I thought I would start with Fragile, which I like a lot, and it sounds fantastic!

Rick Wakeman, btw, must be some alien coming from space... According to Wikipedia, he has made 93 (!) solo albums between 1971 and 2012... Where do you even start?

Screenshot_20210201_073026.jpg

• Like 5