Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

36 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Onto this classic that can transport one back to a simpler time. I normally would not post a pic taken with a flash, but this one 59443c7e0ba681e4aae1ffc4bf44a541.jpg
seems to be not so harsh. And you get to see my dusty environment.

That's an amazing turntable, Sir!

https://www.tonepublications.com/old-school/denon-dp-62l-direct-drive-turntable/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

For me, YES has been one of the 'black holes' in my musical journey, up to now. I only know Jon Anderson from his collaborations with Vangelis.

So I thought I would start with Fragile, which I like a lot, and it sounds fantastic!

Rick Wakeman, btw, must be some alien coming from space... According to Wikipedia, he has made 93 (!) solo albums between 1971 and 2012... Where do you even start?

Screenshot_20210201_073026.jpg

Fragile is a great album. Personally, my favorite is Close to the Edge. 

As for Rick Wakeman, the man has been busy, especially for a man that had THREE heart attacks in his 20s!  My favorites of his are some tracks from The Six Wives of Henry VIII ... particularly Catherine Howard and Catherine of Aragon. but, geez the man make anything sound cool -- even nursery rhymes!

• Like 4

For me, YES has been one of the 'black holes' in my musical journey, up to now. I only know Jon Anderson from his collaborations with Vangelis.

So I thought I would start with Fragile, which I like a lot, and it sounds fantastic!

Rick Wakeman, btw, must be some alien coming from space... According to Wikipedia, he has made 93 (!) solo albums between 1971 and 2012... Where do you even start?

Screenshot_20210201_073026.thumb.jpg.4d00538c5fad6bba2333a372cb6346d2.jpg

I’d start by posting a pic of an actual record you’re currently spinning (ffs). And that goes for the other recent posters here, too. Much love [emoji123] [emoji3590]

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baron167 said:

I’d start by posting a pic of an actual record you’re currently spinning (ffs). And that goes for the other recent posters here, too. Much love emoji123.png emoji3590.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I could get away with it, but you're right, of course.

So here it is, my only YES-related track in my vinyl collection. Jon Anderson sings 'So long ago, so clear'. This is actually on one of the very first albums I bought myself, back in the 1980s. Its pricetag says 450 Belgian Franks, which is something like 11 euros nowadays. A 'best of' Vangelis double LP. I was all into Cosmos at the time (documentary made by Carl Sagan).

PSX_20210201_075153.jpg

• Like 5

Not to be glib, thanks. It’s OK, but could crap the bed any day. I’m familiar with that article. As much as I like it, my AR ES-1 still wins out. But, the Denon is being played. On to 90125. Justice to the left of you...a4f09d657f9a45a67409cabe1a938bfe.jpg
  • Like 5

On the subject of the YES the group 

They are one of my top 3 go to bands since the seventies 

@BigStewMan

Last week I placed an order for the Steve Wilson (YES ) Box set  ( 5 LPs ) 

The Steven Wilson box set has remixed versions of: The Yes Album (1971), Fragile (1971), Close To The Edge (1972), the double album Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973), and Relayer (1974). 

Every album is unique but Close To The Edge has a place in my heart ❤️ 

So now I need to wait for delivery from the UK , but it may be on back order 

YES rules even after several decades 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, baron167 said:

Not to be glib, thanks. It’s OK, but could crap the bed any day. I’m familiar with that article. As much as I like it, my AR ES-1 still wins out. But, the Denon is being played. On to 90125. Justice to the left of you...a4f09d657f9a45a67409cabe1a938bfe.jpg

I now remember 'Owner of a Lonely Heart', which has this incredible, orchestral chord sample in it. Don't even know how to describe it!

Neither does Wikipedia:

" For the "whizz, bangs and gags" sound effects, Horn used the Fairlight (programmed by J. J. Jeczalik). According to musician Questlove, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" contained the first use of a sample as a breakbeat, as opposed to a sound effect.[23]"

The three exisiting music videos are quite bizarre, I must say...

• Like 4

Kinda just hanging while listening and not posting too much.  Cranked out some Queen the other day, which worked to sooth the beast.  Then last night my buddy decided to stop so had to step my game up just a bit.  Love sitting back and watching his nonchalant reactions.  First the foot starts tappin then his head and neck start to twitch, finally it's the death quiver!  THEN he pops the question!  Who was that?  hahahahaha

Hit him HARD w/the first lp.  hahaha  Lil John Mayall and his "No Turning Back" is just like most.  First side slow and easy and side 2 reels 'em in.  Kinda like fishin.  They ALWAYS or most times swallow the hook.  From 69 after the break up of the Bluesbreakers in 68.  Do some research and see if ya know anyone other than EC who was in the Bluesbreakers.  Talk about a line-up?   This is from Bill Graham's Fillmore East and Mayall decided to drop the heavy guitar AND drums.  Funny he was gettin his jam on midway thru side 2 before he realized there were no drums in the LP.  hahahaha  GOTCHA!  Fantastic lp if you can find it.  :)

IMG-20210201-185210057.jpg

Next up a lil EC just for giggles and to let him listen and slow his heart rate down while he caught his breath!  lolol

Eric_Clapton_-_Uplugged.jpg

Then right back up there while I kinda smirked inside!

rory_gallagher_-_live.jpg

Finished him off with this one!

JJ_Cale_-_Trubadour__72_remaster.jpg

He had to ask who it was Ahhhhhgain!  lol

He's a great guy and a good friend.  He does a nice job on his guitar w/the guys on jam night.  I just love workin on him though.  Loves to play his head bangin rock loud n proud ALL the time.  A real Jeff Healey kinda guy.  On the stage lookin at the crowd thru a chicken wire screen while he plays.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Does anybody know what is meant by "MONO' and  '360 Sound' on this Bob Dylan album? Wikipedia only confuses me even more:

• "The term "Stereo 360 Sound" was originally used in the labelling of "LP" records released by Columbia Records in the early thru mid 1960s...As mono and stereo LPs were released during this time, the "Stereo 360 Sound" logo was situated in a rectangular box with two arrows pointing in opposite directions which appeared on the top of the LP cover (only on stereo releases) adjacent to the "walking eye" logo. This practice ended roughly in 1968 when compatible stereo albums were released, thus mono LPs were phased out of production."

So they used the '360 Sound' slogan both for mono and stereo albums?

Why speak of the 'walking eye' logo? To me, the logo represents speakers on stands with sound waves visualised. 

Another rather bizarre claim is 'Nonbreakable'.

What's going on here?

PSX_20210203_143721.jpg

PSX_20210203_143655.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Does anybody know what is meant by "MONO' and  '360 Sound' on this Bob Dylan album? Wikipedia only confuses me even more:

• "The term "Stereo 360 Sound" was originally used in the labelling of "LP" records released by Columbia Records in the early thru mid 1960s...As mono and stereo LPs were released during this time, the "Stereo 360 Sound" logo was situated in a rectangular box with two arrows pointing in opposite directions which appeared on the top of the LP cover (only on stereo releases) adjacent to the "walking eye" logo. This practice ended roughly in 1968 when compatible stereo albums were released, thus mono LPs were phased out of production."

So they used the '360 Sound' slogan both for mono and stereo albums?

Why speak of the 'walking eye' logo? To me, the logo represents speakers on stands with sound waves visualised. 

Another rather bizarre claim is 'Nonbreakable'.

What's going on here?

PSX_20210203_143721.jpg

PSX_20210203_143655.jpg

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/360-sound-vs-360-sound

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/columbia-records/columbia-us-labels/

http://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/columbia12/columbia2300.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

The "eyes" on the labels are actually microphones, but it looks kind of like an eye, hence the nickname. "Six-Eye" just has more of a ring to it than "Six-Mic" I guess. Eventually, CBS actually started using an eye as its logo instead for broadcasting - but the origin was still the rather abstract microphone logo.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-is-the-difference-in-a-2-eye-and-6-eye-record

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to honor the late Carl Sagan. Around the beginning of the 1980s, he created a hugely popular tv series about the cosmos, science and humanity. It introduced me to the world of science. And the series also introduced me to the world of music. I watched it on Belgian national television together with my dad, and we even visited a local astronomy club together, inspired by what we saw on television. I still have fond memories of my night out with my dad, who sadly passed away in 2015.

Dr. Sagan also took great care in selecting the music for the series: classical music, traditional folk, blues (Roy Buchanan), Japanese synthesizer music (Osao Tomita), Vangelis... His taste was extremely varied and eclectic at the same time. In a way, he has profoundly influenced my taste and love for all genres of music! 

PSX_20210205_140643.jpg

PSX_20210205_140621.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a little back story on the girl Niamh, in the video above.  Her favorite genre of music from her life with Dad,  is progressive rock. She started her youtube channel only a month ago and now has nearly 8 thousand subscribers.   I subscribed just for the heck of it and make sure to always give her videos a like just to give her channel a bit of support.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1