Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

gary and I both share a love for the darker theme with targeted lighting for effect. 

Well.... me too. Maybe something will open up for me when I have the $ in hand to get it. Where I'm looking has the "good ones" not lasting very long at all on the market. I've got some ambience lighting of my own that maybe I can use again then with the tricked out controlled led lamps in them!

• Like 4

On 2/14/2021 at 10:41 PM, BigStewMan said:

gary and I both share a love for the darker theme with targeted lighting for effect. 

IMG_2814.jpeg

I got elastic bands keepin' my shoes on
Got those swollen-hand blues
I got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from
I've got electric light
And I've got second sight
I got amazing powers of observation
And that is how I know
When I try to get through
On the telephone to you
There'll be nobody home

• Like 4

@MicroMara man, hope all is well.

Found a 707...

@JohnJ ...man what was you thinking sending me that Rascals lp? You mentioned it was something, even think used Disco to describe. No, not abit. First song had heard before somewheres but, yes, do not know what to make of it either but, like it quite well. Not Young Rascals but, even better... thanks!

• Like 4

Van Morrison is always good.  That's a great album because, at that point in time with it being his second album, he went HIS direction.  His first lp "Brown Eyed Girl" hit HARD and resonated with millions in 1967.  The public craved more so he went HIS direction with the "Astral Weeks" album in 1968.  People didn't comprehend the message he was sending, which caused slow sales.  Today, after he went back in that direction on tours, they discovered how good he really was.  Couple days at the Hollywood Bowl proved that with the release of those shows as a "live" album.  It's got him all over it.  Nice score @MeloManiac!  Thanks for the share!  Memories brother, memories!  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'll agree with you two on that. Wish I had ALL of Van's stuff but at least it was playing a lot in the background in the 80s for me (Carlos too) with the crowd I hung out with!

@billybob When my brother stopped bringing 5 or 10 pounds of vinyl at a time and hit me with over a hundred I was overwhelmed! As I categorized, alphabetized, cleaned and played for the months I was trying to help my mother stay comfortable I had to make decisions.  That Racsals sounded good to me music wise but it wasn't the Who, the Stones or J Geils from the 60s either! It popped up when we were "talking". 

Alvin Lee wasn't it... with the beefy torso on the cover? Think it was his first solo. Not doing his normal blues shredding, weeping guitar stuff it was like he maybe tried to emulate Jeff Beck. But Beck leaned towards jazz. That record that I only listened to parts of a couple tracks reminded me of Studio54. Like an early high tech rave dance music of the 90s.

Might have been hasty.  Glad you like that other LP!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I'll agree with you two on that. Wish I had ALL of Van's stuff but at least it was playing a lot in the background in the 80s for me (Carlos too) with the crowd I hung out with!

@billybob When my brother stopped bringing 5 or 10 pounds of vinyl at a time and hit me with over a hundred I was overwhelmed! As I categorized, alphabetized, cleaned and played for the months I was trying to help my mother stay comfortable I had to make decisions.  That Racsals sounded good to me music wise but it wasn't the Who, the Stones or J Geils from the 60s either! It popped up when we were "talking". 

Alvin Lee wasn't it... with the beefy torso on the cover? Think it was his first solo. Not doing his normal blues shredding, weeping guitar stuff it was like he maybe tried to emulate Jeff Beck. But Beck leaned towards jazz. That record that I only listened to parts of a couple tracks reminded me of Studio54. Like an early high tech rave dance music of the 90s.

Might have been hasty.  Glad you like that other LP!

Cool...was listening to Cricklewood and Space In Time when I posted...lol.

Really have liked Van of course.

If anyone can find the band Them 

with Van...Here Comes The Night, why grab it quickly.

And send it to me...lol !!!

Cheers and let us know George...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@MicroMara me thinks me knows what you're up to...  You can run but you can't hide...  Inquiring minds wanna know!!! 

5 days ago I picked up my two Cayin tube mono amplifiers from the revision. For this I drove over 700 miles. Both power amps had new transformers and all 6 filter capacitors replaced. In addition, all tubes were checked and the circuit with additional fuses in front of the output stage transformers modified. The power test resulted in the following  49.7 WpC / 8 Ohm with a distortion of less 0,45 %.

Noll1.thumb.jpg.780d6edc2f70a4219760d52b396936dd.jpgNoll3.thumb.jpg.f2630f453e37531050283f9df5b5ee63.jpgNoll4.thumb.jpg.26018e5270fb27ef7fe3efeabf39d84f.jpgNoll5.thumb.jpg.4b6a02280b85099536d30143fb761bab.jpgLagerfeuer.thumb.jpg.13dc2cce62763b8cab77b67754ab8024.jpg

Mmmmhmmmmm...  :)   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Beauties Dave! Inside and out, toroidal transformer too!  The one in my Cambridge SS amp still impresses me... well it will when I can break it out again.

The green and gold are unique and nice, looks like it matches the walls there.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Van Morrison is always good.  That's a great album because, at that point in time with it being his second album, he went HIS direction.  His first lp "Brown Eyed Girl" hit HARD and resonated with millions in 1967.  The public craved more so he went HIS direction with the "Astral Weeks" album in 1968.  People didn't comprehend the message he was sending, which caused slow sales.  Today, after he went back in that direction on tours, they discovered how good he really was.  Couple days at the Hollywood Bowl proved that with the release of those shows as a "live" album.  It's got him all over it.  Nice score @MeloManiac!  Thanks for the share!  Memories brother, memories!  :)

Thank you for that insight. I was not aware of all this. Actually, Astral Weeks came out the year before I was born. Besides the obvious classics like Brown Eyed Girl and GLORIA,  I truly discovered Van Morrison almost accidentally in the mid 80s when I bought two of his albums (No Guru, No Method, No teacher and Poetic Champions Compose) by mistake. These two kind of grew on me as a student at uni. Later I bought Moondance (1970) on CD, which is a classic of course, and Irish Heartbeat, and Avalon Sunset (both on vinyl). Avalon Sunset has the killer hit (Have I told you lately), but is actually an amazing recording that everyone should have in their collection.

Astral Weeks takes a special place in the story: for all these years, I have listened to the album on some illegal carrier, can't remember if it was cassette or cd-rom. There are no true 'hits' on this album, but many songs I found mesmerizing in a way. The arrangements are very noticable too: the strings, the harpsichord, the flutes. Also, this is no folk, no jazz, what is this thing? The closest thing to a single/hit is 'Madame George', but it lasts 9'25 (!!!). That's insane.

And then there is the intertextuality: in Sweet Thing he sings "And I will walk and talk, In gardens all wet with rain" (in 1968) and in "In the garden" (1986) : After a summer shower when I saw you standin', Standin' in the garden, in the garden wet with rain". This kind of time scale blows my mind and reminds me to put things into perspective when it comes to my own, personal life.

IMG_20210218_080949.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

@MicroMara me thinks me knows what you're up to...  You can run but you can't hide...  Inquiring minds wanna know!!! 

5 days ago I picked up my two Cayin tube mono amplifiers from the revision. For this I drove over 700 miles. Both power amps had new transformers and all 6 filter capacitors replaced. In addition, all tubes were checked and the circuit with additional fuses in front of the output stage transformers modified. The power test resulted in the following  49.7 WpC / 8 Ohm with a distortion of less 0,45 %.

Noll1.thumb.jpg.780d6edc2f70a4219760d52b396936dd.jpgNoll3.thumb.jpg.f2630f453e37531050283f9df5b5ee63.jpgNoll4.thumb.jpg.26018e5270fb27ef7fe3efeabf39d84f.jpgNoll5.thumb.jpg.4b6a02280b85099536d30143fb761bab.jpgLagerfeuer.thumb.jpg.13dc2cce62763b8cab77b67754ab8024.jpg

Mmmmhmmmmm...  :)   

NICE !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MeloManiac should have stated for stereo amps. But our country has a lot of green&gold uniforms for football and other sports. Plus I always loved the hunter green, like the other room in the photo with woodwork or with a saddle colored leather interior on one of those Aston Martins or the little cars with electrical troubles!

Appreciate your input on the Avalon Highway record!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@MeloManiac should have stated for stereo amps.

You are right about that, it is not the 'boring' grey or black.

I would even add this: there is a direct link to an amplifier's  color richness and its price: the more expensive, the more color is used. Check this link out: https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-stereo-amplifiers . The proof is in the pudding!

image.png.28ab17cd39dbc90e5bac799f6d5c2a69.png

image.png.8a0c2ae5b912ed91ca49e5385d41c9e8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2