Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

I'd be soooo losted working on that table of yours Full Range!

Kicking back relaxing just a bit listening to a bunch of youngins way back when!  Lou Reed, John Cale, Nico & Andy Warhol?  Wild  but what a great remaster.  Everyone HAD to have that bananna!  

IMG-20210217-152555679.jpg

Yngwie Malmsteen's "Fire & Ice" from 1992 just rips it.  Snatched this new re-master a while back.  The old addage, "He's hot and you're not!" applies here.  He goes!  20 albums in 40 years and #9 of 11 on Time Magazine's greatest electric guitar player's list.  Great listen cause he get's it done!  

IMG-20210217-141238171.jpg

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Full Range said:

From the new batch of records

Some progressive new wave now from a San Francisco based band 

Artist - The Tubes

Title - The Completion Backward Principle

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Tubes-The-Completion-Backward-Principle/release/5197293

9-FB75831-F345-4898-91-BD-0-A4-A666615-F

love the tubes.  my favorite song is called Talk to Ya Later. the guitar solo by Roger steen at the end is epic.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

love the tubes.  my favorite song is called Talk to Ya Later. the guitar solo by Roger steen at the end is epic.

59 minutes ago, Full Range said:

From the new batch of records

Some progressive new wave now from a San Francisco based band 

Artist - The Tubes

Title - The Completion Backward Principle

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Tubes-The-Completion-Backward-Principle/release/5197293

9-FB75831-F345-4898-91-BD-0-A4-A666615-F

Reminds me of this Mike Oldfield best of album

R-477735-1453039422-6855.jpeg.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

42 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

not Steve Lukather ?

The info I have is 

Bass – Rick Anderson

Drums – Prairie Prince

Guitar, Vocals – Bill Spooner, Roger Steen

Keyboards, Vocals – Vince Welnick

Lead Vocals – Fee Waybill

Mixed By – Humberto Gatica

Producer – David Foster

Synthesizer – Michael Cotten

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Full Range said:

The info I have is 

Bass – Rick Anderson

Drums – Prairie Prince

Producer – David Foster

All tracks composed by The Tubes; except where indicated.

Side oneEdit

"Talk to Ya Later" (The Tubes, David Foster, Steve Lukather) [4:29]

"Sushi Girl" [3:26]

"Amnesia" (The Tubes, David Foster) [4:26]

"Mr. Hate" [3:41]

"Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" (The Tubes, Michael Snyder) [4:29]

Side twoEdit

"Think About Me" [3:16]

"A Matter of Pride" [3:14]

"Don't Want to Wait Anymore" (The Tubes, David Foster) [4:16]

"Power Tools" [4:03]

"Let's Make Some Noise" (The Tubes, David Foster) [3:42]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Completion_Backward_Principle

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

3 hours ago, Full Range said:

The info I have is 

Bass – Rick Anderson

Drums – Prairie Prince

Producer – David Foster

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

they both did a great job and are very good players.  naturally, Steve gets deserved credit for co-writing it and I believe writing is a greater accomplishment than just playing. 

so writing the black page then being able to play it ?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

so writing the black page then being able to play it ?

some things are hard to play; but I believe the greater talent is always in the writing. one is creating -- the other is copying. many musicians actually have to relearn stuff they've written and haven't played for years.  Rick Wakeman made up the song After the Ball (because he forgot to write one piece for a movie and when the producers asked about the music for that particular scene, he had to make something up on the fly, recording it at the same time and telling the engineer that was the one to use, he wasn't playing it a second time -- the song is great; but Rick said he later had to learn how to play it when it became part of his setlist. the Tubes and Heart have also spoke of having to relearn their own songs.

• Like 4

A great album written and played for piano and alto saxophone 

Sax - Eric Kloss

American jazz alto & tenor saxophonist. Born blind, he appeared on his first album at the age of 16. 

Piano - Barry Miles 
American pianist, drummer, composer, producer, arranger and author

Artist - Eric Kloss & Barry Miles 
Title - Together 

C678805-A-C5-EA-4-C89-ABD9-4-FD62-D0-F71
  • Like 3

Neil Young?  What CAN'T you say about him?  ALWAYS an amazing show and sooooo many great tunes over the years.  I knew he had something up his sleeve and he's finally rolled his sleeves up and taking ANOTHER stand for freedom and human rights.  Sure I'm a big fan but really who isn't?  This was on the porch a bit ago so it went down shortly after I unzipped it.  Lil hot for my normal listening level but what the heck it's Neil right?  All I can say is I very rarely post the flip side of an album cause you kinda know what's coming but I felt I had to.  Sure he could have filled up both sides but he was more interested in doing HIS thang.  This IS a keeper and man it's ALL him!  Killer!

IMG-20210223-173805309.jpg

IMG-20210223-174903902.jpg

Get OFF that Gold Card!   :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alrighty @Dave1291 , I'm not surprised he's in silhouette on the cover given how long ago he was on regular replay for me. 

Went through a two gallon bucket full of nuts and bolts from the storage room.  You know the things you save because you'll need them someday? With the issues with the storage bin facility I'm pulling my $$ stuff out of I can't keep everything. Found some one inch and inch and a half brass screens in a Sucrets tin in the bottom of that old paint bucket. That's from the same era as my CSNY heavy listening, ELP discovery and experiencing Jimi & KC unfiltered direct from vinyl!

Keep the Faith guys!

• Like 4

I need your help.

I've been doing research about this Van Morrison album dating back to 1986: No Guru, no method, no teacher.

Van Morrison has explained in some interviews (and as noted on Wikipedia) that at the time he really was into meditation, and the music on this album must be seen in that light as well, as some kind of 'guided meditation'. Wikipedia: The album title is evocative of a 1966 quotation by Jiddu Krishnamurti: "...there is no teacher, no pupil; there is no leader; there is no guru; there is no Master, no Saviour. You yourself are the teacher and the pupil; you are the Master; you are the guru; you are the leader; you are everything."[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Guru,_No_Method,_No_Teacher

The picture on the cover is from photographer Nobby Clark, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby_Clark_(photographer), who was still very young in 1986 but became quite famous and is still active. I always thought that this picture was a 'composite' bringing two pictures together, one of Van Morrion, the other of the 'guru' statue. But now I think I'm wrong, and Van is actually posing next to the statue.

I would love to find out where this picture was taken and what 'guru' it represents.

EDIT: SOLVED (KIND OF)

https://www.justanswer.com/entertainment/2xd3g-statue-album-cover-no-guru-no-method.html

This is ironic! I remember when this record originally came out back in '86. I was at a party one night talking to a buddy of mine who was a music junky. We never could figure out what the statue was, but he mentioned that Van Morrison lived in the Holland Park area in London and supposedly, the statue was from there.

I tried to look up some info. I did find this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20832624@N00/2664523236

-Hugh

https://www.facebook.com/HollandParkLondon/community

On Facebook:

The cover photo of Van's 1986 album 'No Guru, No Method, No Teacher' was taken in
Holland Parkin Kensington. Van is photographed next to a statue called Melancholy Man. The statue stands in the old brick wall which runs the length of the Dutch Garden, half hidden by ivy and shrubs. His feet are buried in the ground and his back is attached to the wall.
Very little is known about this statue except that it possibly dates from the 16th century and is made of limestone. He is wearing a long robe covered by a cloak and a round hat.

The Ancient Melancholy Man // Holland Park, Formal Garden Sculptor: unknown 16th century It is probable that this statue has stood here since the Formal Garden was created in 1812 by Serafino Bonaiuti, librarian and factotum to the Hollands. In November 1812 the 3rd Lord Holland described his new garden, “There is a fountain, with old marble columns in the middle, and black borders and green fingers, and all sorts of gimcracks.” It is possible that the melancholy man was one of the gimcracks, used to ornament and beautify the garden. Over the centuries the garden was known as the Portuguese, Dutch and Italian Garden. The statute of the melancholy man stands in the old brick wall which runs the length of the Formal Garden, half hidden by ivy and shrubs. His feet are buried in the ground and his back is attached to the wall. Very little is known about this statue except that it possibly dates from the 16th century and is made of limestone. The male figure stands about 1.7 metres high with his left leg slightly behind the right. He is wearing a long robe covered by a cloak and a round hat. He has long hair and beard and holds a small pot in his right hand. 17th century bricks from Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland’s stables were used to build the wall.

PSX_20210224_142347.jpg

mel3.jpg

melancholyman.jpg

• Like 5

After discovering that the 'guru' on 'No Guru, No Method, No Teacher' is 'Melancholy Man', I think I finally understand... And it is right there in front of me and always has been...

Van Morrison actually has many songs about sadness, depression, melancholia. On 'Days like this' there is even a song titled 'Melancholia'. 

In many of his lyrics he sings about a 'you' (God?) that can take away his sadness. So the picture on the album 'No Guru...' really is about Melancholy Man, and not about some 'guru' after all...

And... when you take all this into account, his hit single 'Have I told you lately', which also happened to be the opening song on my marriage, is really about... melancholia! Just listen to the words below. The video clip below starts with an opening shot of the moon, also symbolic of melancholia...

My excuses to all of you for rambling about this. I'm kind of obsessive, sometimes...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MeloManiac said:

No, not familiar with that. A heavy metal fan attacked him?

Lol, no his record labels enforcer.

According to an interview about 4 years ago, was listening to Tommy James talking about his record label being a little different than some others.

Anyhow Van was on same label.

James was saying that Van was being pressured to do single hits like in the 60s. He wanted the freedom to pursue LPs. Finally came down to the breaking point.

Thankfully, he was able to get out of contract.

From memory, the jist of...

PBR station late night interview.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2