Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

These three singles are material witnesses to my 'musical awakening': Michael Jackson (Motown, 1979) - Side A: One Day In Your LIfe, Side B: Dear Michael, Irene Cara (RSO, 1980) - Side A: Fame, Side B: Never alone and Michael Jackson (Epic 1982) Side A: Beat it, Side B: Get on the Floor.

In those days, the music industry was completely different, in fact, even MTV still had to break through. These songs were popular thanks to the radio (and music programmes on tv, like 'Top of the Pops'.) Of course, now, Michael Jackson's legacy has become seriously tainted, but around 1980, there was still an innocence in his music. The music industry was so different compared to now (and I'm not saying it was better then): young kids like me would spend their pocket money on singles (with bad b-sides) because we couldn't afford the full LP (or we couldn't wait until it came out.) It's kind of hard to grasp now, with 'ad infinitum' playlists on Qobuz or Spotify, that there was a time when folks would actually buy a carrier with one song on it...and when you had listened to it, you actually had to get up, walk to the pickup and turn it to side b...

I only own 3 'singles'... as I grew a bit older, I started buying full LPs (and taping them, in order to exchange them with friends).

PSX_20210405_101418.jpg

• Like 6

My buddy and I were talking on the phone and he mentioned that he rediscovered a cool 70s band 

He being a working drummer was looking for some inspiration 

That band was Blue Oyster Cult 

So I dug out the only LP I have and giving it a spin as I post 

I just love the opening track - Career Of Evil 🤘🤘🤘

Artist - Blue Oyster Cult 

Title - Secret Treaties 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Blue-Öyster-Cult-Secret-Treaties/release/2579012

9090-A7-F2-6914-4-BE0-BB19-23655926029-E

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That a fine old rocker you've got there Paul!

@Allan Songer's playbacks have piqued my interest several times though. Sure if the neighbors heard my boombox with the ports aiming angled downwards and out into the living room they were thrown for a loop Saturday. Couldn't find "Winelight" but came up with Grover's "Anthology" and another tape that as my fave on it was a beautiful acoustic "Eleanor Rigby" that was on the jazz station here in the mid 80s often. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

That a fine old rocker you've got there Paul!

@Allan Songer's playbacks have piqued my interest several times though. Sure if the neighbors heard my boombox with the ports aiming angled downwards and out into the living room they were thrown for a loop Saturday. Couldn't find "Winelight" but came up with Grover's "Anthology" and another tape that as my fave on it was a beautiful acoustic "Eleanor Rigby" that was on the jazz station here in the mid 80s often. 

I have a Stanley Jordan best-of CD. It is kind of magical to see him perform this song live. In the video there are short glimpses of the public. It must have been special for him... Compare this to the many guitar players on YouTube. I wonder how they would perform in front of a live public like that.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeloManiac said:

I have a Stanley Jordan best-of CD. It is kind of magical to see him perform this song live. In the video there are short glimpses of the public. It must have been special for him... Compare this to the many guitar players on YouTube. I wonder how they would perform in front of a live public like that.... 

I've seen Stanley back in 85-6 ..

At my local community collage..

It was general admission... I was front row stage left... Placed my feet 

on the stage.. In a comfortable position relaxed and kicked back..

Stanley entered the stage.. And was pissed at me...He waved his hand  towards me to remove my feet...

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Yes he is good live, exudes emotion. Saw him once with the beer drinking, run over people with your occupied baby stroller jazz festival downtown years ago. Spyro Gyra reneged and Bobby McFerrin the (Don't Worry, Be Happy!) guy came. Stanley was a couple blocks away at a different time so got to see both. There were other bands, Yellowjackets one year and others I forgot. But the one constant was the yuppie parents clearing a path through the street or sidewalks that were standing room only with people with their strollers back in those crazy 80s here!

World 600 festival had country and rock bands for free. Usually not the best at the time but saw Travis Tritt, George Strait (liked him) and waited almost two hours as usual once for the CDB!

It was all about drinking beer in public and not getting busted back then!

• Like 4

In the 80s I bought 70s albums, like this Krautrock album, most out of ignorance but because I liked the music ... There was a record shop near Kortrijk, Belgium, trainstation where I bought the records. That's the thrill with music, even now, I still discover old and new music.... 

PSX_20210405_202555.jpg

PSX_20210405_202443.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@MeloManiac  giving you something to read about " Krautrock " ...Have fun......

From the end of the 1960s and beginning of the 1970s, the genre krautrock was used to describe the rock music of primarily West German bands, some of which became internationally known. In addition to their geographical origin, all classic Krautrock bands have in common a tendency toward experimental, improvisational rock music.

The term goes back to the word "Sauerkraut" as well as the derogatory term "Krauts" for German soldiers in World War II. The origin of the word Krautrock, contrary to frequent claims, goes back to an advertisement by the German company Popo Music Management, which first used the word in the English magazine Billboard[1] to promote records by Bacillus Records. The term was picked up by the British press and used frequently. In addition, in May 1973, the Hamburg group Faust recorded their fourth LP for Virgin Records at "The Manor" studio in Oxfordshire, the first track of which was called "Krautrock". Virgin Records then adopted this term as a genre designation for rock music from Germany.

In Germany, Krautrock was often used as a self-deprecating term for their own music, expressing the fact that Germany was considered a pop-cultural developing country. In the beginning, Krautrock was more of a collective term for music from Germany. There was neither a unified movement nor extensive stylistic commonalities.

Apart from the use of the word "Kraut", which was not meant in a flattering way, this grouping of the most diverse styles and the reduction to their geographical or national origins also meant that the term Krautrock was often understood as a pejorative term. For example, Amon Düül and Agitation Free were committed to psychedelic rock, Tangerine Dream tended more to the realm of electronic music, Guru Guru initially practiced space rock à la Hawkwind, Birth Control could be assigned to hard rock, while Can chose an almost avant-garde compositional approach. Overall, the bands often distinguished themselves with their own interpretations of Anglo-American patterns, which also brought international recognition.

Although there were bands early on that sang in German as a matter of course (Ihre Kinder, Prof. Wolfff), German lyrics were by no means considered a matter of course in rock music at the time, and instead of switching to English, some Krautrock bands chose to dispense with lyrics almost or entirely (Ash Ra Tempel, for example). The proximity of many bands to extra-parliamentary resistance and leftist groups (Floh de Cologne, Ton Steine Scherben, Lokomotive Kreuzberg) is remarkable. Agitation Free had their practice space in the K1 and often played at actions of the Haschrebellen. It is also worth noting that groups like Omega (Hungary) and Nektar (GB/USA) are often counted among the Krautrockers because of their success in the Federal Republic Germany .

The only common basic tendency would be the tendency to more complex structures, which results in a close relationship to progressive rock/art rock and jazz rock. From today's point of view it is to be emphasized that here conspicuously many musicians experimented with the at that time new synthesizer technology. Apart from Can, this applies above all toTangerine Dream and their entourage (Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra Tempel), who thus possibly provided the basis for the later worldwide success of Kraftwerk (Autobahn, 1974).

Enough now ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

That's the thrill with music, even now, I still discover old and new music.... 

I know the feeling. Ever since i began putting my stereo system back together and even more since i get a lot of input and ideas on this forum.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

@MeloManiac  giving you something to read about " Krautrock " ...Have fun......

From the end of the 1960s and beginning of the 1970s, the genre krautrock was used to describe the rock music of primarily West German bands, some of which became internationally known. In addition to their geographical origin, all classic Krautrock bands have in common a tendency toward experimental, improvisational rock music.

The term goes back to the word "Sauerkraut" as well as the derogatory term "Krauts" for German soldiers in World War II. The origin of the word Krautrock, contrary to frequent claims, goes back to an advertisement by the German company Popo Music Management, which first used the word in the English magazine Billboard[1] to promote records by Bacillus Records. The term was picked up by the British press and used frequently. In addition, in May 1973, the Hamburg group Faust recorded their fourth LP for Virgin Records at "The Manor" studio in Oxfordshire, the first track of which was called "Krautrock". Virgin Records then adopted this term as a genre designation for rock music from Germany.

In Germany, Krautrock was often used as a self-deprecating term for their own music, expressing the fact that Germany was considered a pop-cultural developing country. In the beginning, Krautrock was more of a collective term for music from Germany. There was neither a unified movement nor extensive stylistic commonalities.

Apart from the use of the word "Kraut", which was not meant in a flattering way, this grouping of the most diverse styles and the reduction to their geographical or national origins also meant that the term Krautrock was often understood as a pejorative term. For example, Amon Düül and Agitation Free were committed to psychedelic rock, Tangerine Dream tended more to the realm of electronic music, Guru Guru initially practiced space rock à la Hawkwind, Birth Control could be assigned to hard rock, while Can chose an almost avant-garde compositional approach. Overall, the bands often distinguished themselves with their own interpretations of Anglo-American patterns, which also brought international recognition.

Although there were bands early on that sang in German as a matter of course (Ihre Kinder, Prof. Wolfff), German lyrics were by no means considered a matter of course in rock music at the time, and instead of switching to English, some Krautrock bands chose to dispense with lyrics almost or entirely (Ash Ra Tempel, for example). The proximity of many bands to extra-parliamentary resistance and leftist groups (Floh de Cologne, Ton Steine Scherben, Lokomotive Kreuzberg) is remarkable. Agitation Free had their practice space in the K1 and often played at actions of the Haschrebellen. It is also worth noting that groups like Omega (Hungary) and Nektar (GB/USA) are often counted among the Krautrockers because of their success in the Federal Republic Germany .

The only common basic tendency would be the tendency to more complex structures, which results in a close relationship to progressive rock/art rock and jazz rock. From today's point of view it is to be emphasized that here conspicuously many musicians experimented with the at that time new synthesizer technology. Apart from Can, this applies above all toTangerine Dream and their entourage (Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra Tempel), who thus possibly provided the basis for the later worldwide success of Kraftwerk (Autobahn, 1974).

Enough now ....

As a matter of fact, I seldom use the term Krautrock. Back then, I didn't even know Scorpions was German. Which is kind of silly because Klaus Meine has a distinctive German accent. I got to know them through a neighbour/friend who played one of their live albums all the time: World Wide Live. I soon discovered another live album, Tokyo Tapes, which I think is really amazing, and then I started buying their early, 70s albums. 

• Like 3

Yeaa! @MeloManiac

Rudolph, Rudolph, Rudolph!

& I got to see them twice before that one came out in the 80s.

First time they opened for Michael's UFO!! Brothers in HEAVY Rock visiting my hometown in the little arena where our WWE wrestling was held by the Crocketts!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Charly Antolini  - A great drummer 🤘

new unopened vinyl is hard to come by...

CHARLY ANTOLINI
CRASH
LP / VINYL / HIGH END ANALOGUE REMASTERING
GATEFOLD EDITION / LIMITED
2003 JETON / JET 33 010 / EU / GERMANY
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Full Range said:

I’m following up my last spin with a similar era and genre band 

Because my mind is calling for some hard rock 🤘

Artist - Uriah Heep ‎

Title-  Look At Yourself

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/Uriah-Heep-Look-At-Yourself/release/4837542

289-C97-B1-C9-D7-422-C-B9-ED-736-A180-A5

I can see your mirror image on the cover , you´re wearing a black outfit .Pic is done with you tablet camera .....nice idea ......

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 AM, dirtmudd said:

new unopened vinyl is hard to come by...

CHARLY ANTOLINI
CRASH
LP / VINYL / HIGH END ANALOGUE REMASTERING
GATEFOLD EDITION / LIMITED
2003 JETON / JET 33 010 / EU / GERMANY

Here @dirtmudd  brand new ...   $ 119 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHARLY-ANTOLINI-CRASH-LP-RARE-JETON-HIGH-END-REMASTERED-VINYL-New-/122861415820