Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

5 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

It does but maybe Dire Straits sounds a lot like JJ Cale.  😂

Uh-oh!  When that happens, it’s a clear indication that your speakers are in the wrong position.  Next thing, you may find that Pink Floyd sounds like Blue Oyster Cult, and you don’t want that, do you?  You have to place the speakers side by side, aimed apart at a 45 degree angle from straight ahead, so they form a 90 degree angle with each other.  This will give you the best approximation of being at an outdoor concert, about 200 metres from the stage.

It’s either that, or buy a pair of Jubilees.  Then, you won’t have to worry about Ghostbusters sounding like I Want a New Drug.  And you’ll have the approximation of being at an outdoor concert, in the second row.  If you want to get the front-row feeling, you’ll have to sit on the floor 1.5 - 2 metres (5 - 6.5 feet) from the fronts of the speakers.

Of course, you could do nothing, but you can’t lie to your ears.  Well, you can, but they’ll figure it out before long, and then you’ll be watching hockey games just to hear the organ player.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

@Islander  Thanks, I think and I really did like the Jubs part.  The organ player at the hockey games?  Eh!  ???  Not so much!  😂

@JohnJ  Your so cold and cruel.   Where's all that love n stuff?  😂

Huh? I love the guitar and it's ability to convey in many different kinds of music!

Your playlist lately has been top-notch!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 4:58 PM, JohnJ said:

But I'd bet that JJ and Knopfler could play each others music!

As a teen, I was a fan of Dire Straits and Knopfler's solo projects (mostly movie scores). I have most of his albums on vinyl and recently I bought all the dire straits albums on CD (they are dirt cheap now...)

Mark Knopfler has aged well and he's a great guy. He still posts some interesting videos on you*ube and he is still recording. He does is for the love of music and not for the money (he's filthy rich, or should be...) This is one of my heroes (like Van Morrison), and when they speak, I shut up and listen!

And here's Eric Clapton and JJ Cale on guitars....

... And now I understand why someone above said JJ Cale is the 'mentor' of Mark Knopler. Just watch this. This solo is soooooo Knopfler (it's the other way round, I know...)

• Like 5

JJ Cale wrote so many made famous by others. We probably all heard lots of them fifty years ago without even knowing that. That was the case with me until reading Clapton's liner notes.

• Like 4

hi everybody,

A 1986 NME compilation on Rough Trade Records, an impressive band roster, some of which would go on to become famous:

Primal Scream
A Witness
The Scrubs
The Wedding Present
Mighty mighty
Stump
The Pastels
The Mighty Lemon Drops
The Soup Dragon

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Various-C86/release/850292

I am not the cassette but the original LP version that I bought in 1986

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C86

DSC_0513.thumb.JPG.17c6ca40861fd74402626fed398d4d4c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

hi everybody,

A 1986 NME compilation on Rough Trade Records, an impressive band roster, some of which would go on to become famous:

Primal Scream
A Witness
The Scrubs
The Wedding Present
Mighty mighty
Stump
The Pastels
The Mighty Lemon Drops
The Soup Dragon

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Various-C86/release/850292

I am not the cassette but the original LP version that I bought in 1986

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C86

DSC_0513.thumb.JPG.17c6ca40861fd74402626fed398d4d4c.JPG

Interesting as a collectible too. The Vinyl album is valued at around 10 euro, the music cassette is 16 euro. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2