Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

There he turns again . My Micro-Seiki ! There where otherwise my Marantz luxury steamer stands, stands now the small inconspicuous black box. A friend has made it available to me indefinitely. The" Camtech" preamplifier from England is connected and does its job. The Englishman sounds damn good. Was built in 1998 , was a reference device . But gonna tell you something , I can fire my RF 7 EvoTec with any electronics , no matter , she's the one and only empress of all RF 7`s in the entire world  
smilie-gross_336.gif

1638506033_CamtechVorVerstrker412.1.jpg.2c043a2da58820eca5e1a4cb8899bdb6.jpg761616116_PaulSimon.thumb.jpg.4cafc91d5014129f4ae1ea5011aa2fff.jpg

She has good looks too! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, mustang_flht said:

Germany made, pro and inventor of the headphones, mine are DT990 Pro open version, but existing in semi-closed DT880 and closed DT770.

View DT770 and other DT in all studios in the world ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyerdynamic

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/company/about-us/story

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/headphones-headsets.html

Here is a quick update (and short review) of the headphone I bought: the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro.

DT990 Pro:

Sound quality: 9/10

Listening Comfort and wearability: 9/10

Build quality: 8/10 (aluminium and plastics)

JBL (Closed back, noise canceling)

Sound quality: 8/10

Listening Comfort and wearability: 4/10

Build quality: 7/10 (plastic all the way)

Just for reference: 1972 Heresy speakers

Sound quality: 9/10

Listening Comfort and wearability: 10/10 and 1/10

Build quality: 10/10 (built to last)

This is the first time I own a studio headphone. The DT990 Pro 250 ohm (open back, coiled cable) is for 'critical listening' and needs a amplifier: my Leben CS300 works really well with it, and my HK430 twin powered also. I tried it with my smartphone, and although I can listen to music with it, it is a moderate decibel level: you need the 32 ohm version for that.

I love the open back, and the soft, velours padding: I can wear this headphone for hours. 

The JBL, closed back and noise canceling, ... I hate it and can only use it for 15 minutes: it is like putting suction cups on my ears, and then a vacuum is created that rips my eardrums out of place. For me, totally debilitating.

As for the 'critical listening' to vinyl recordings: the DT990 Pro brings out all the detail from a recording, from the very lows (9Hz) to the very highs (40Mhz). The open back design makes it sound very open and airy, which I personally like. When using it with a vinyl record, I can hear every detail of the recording, but I can also hear every detail of the needle running down the grove: some of my records sound  okay, while others sound like a 'rumbling earthquake' a the start of the record and in between tracks. I personally like this, but I can imagine that if one is used to CDs and streaming, one will be shocked by this. The staging is impressive: even with albums of which I hadn't expected it, I can often locate the exact position of the instruments. I love the coiled cable.

Compared to the Heresy speakers I have: these are much more forgiving, because the low end rumble can't be heard. They sound punchy and well balanced. The staging is a bit less, and they don't go as low (45 Hz), but they fill the room easily, of course!

PSX_20210821_053256.jpg

PSX_20210821_053232.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Did you miss me 😎

Had some login issues — But I’m back 

Let’s spin and celebrate with a 12” single that has stood the test of time 

Artist - New Order

Title - Blue Monday 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Blue-Monday/release/705934

E51-EF5-A0-824-F-4-B4-F-8-B11-DFBCD5-BC9

FF1-C54-F5-CCC2-4-E3-E-B4-C0-61-AF97-DE9

Well, here it is still Sunday, and a rainy mid summer one, with thunderstorms coming our way in the afternoon.

Welcome back, enjoy the music!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Did you miss me 😎

Had some login issues — But I’m back 

Let’s spin and celebrate with a 12” single that has stood the test of time 

Artist - New Order

Title - Blue Monday 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Blue-Monday/release/705934

E51-EF5-A0-824-F-4-B4-F-8-B11-DFBCD5-BC9

FF1-C54-F5-CCC2-4-E3-E-B4-C0-61-AF97-DE9

Ha ha, I remember this one!

Must have been a great source of inspiration for Daft Punk!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:54 PM, MeloManiac said:

Being back from my holiday in Dinant, Adophe Sax's birth town, my first sax solo is Clarence Clemons', in Thunder Road on Born To Run. PSX_20210812_161958.thumb.jpg.2b753d4509cb39df7be14930a8f1d055.jpg

PSX_20210813_224841.jpg

Face behind the name MeloManiac. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My apologies beforehand for picking up my posts again about good saxophone albums after spending my holidays in and around Dinant, the home of Adolphe Sax. 

Few people know - except those who've seen him live - that Van Morrison is not just a great composer and singer. He's also a multi-instrumentalist. And from time to time he plays a tune on the alto sax. 

My favorite album for that is Poetic Champions Compose, from the 80s.

There are 3 instrumental compositions on it of which I think Van the Man is playing the sax: Spanish steps, Celtic excavations and Allow me. 

PSX_20210822_120352.jpg

PSX_20210808_173825.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

My favorite album for that is Poetic Champions Compose, from the 80s.

There are 3 instrumental compositions on it of which I think Van the Man is playing the sax: Spanish steps, Celtic excavations and Allow me. 

From WiKi on this album:

Musicians

• Van Morrison – lead vocals, guitar, harmonica, alto saxophone
  • Neil Drinkwater – piano, synthesizer
  • Martin Drover – trumpet, flugelhorn
  • Roy Jones – drums, percussion
  • Steve Pearce – bass
  • Mick Cox – lead guitar on "I Forgot That Love Existed" & "Alan Watts Blues"
  • June Boyce – backing vocals
  • Fiachra Trench – organ on "Give Me My Rapture"
  • Richie Buckley – soprano saxophone, flute on "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" & "The Mystery"
  • Kate St. Johnoboe on "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" & "The Mystery"

So You think right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Welllllll, it's about time for me to get back to abby-normal in here.  Sure I've been spinning just not taking the time to post much.  I've had more going on around here this summer than ever I think.  Interior halls painted.  Check!  New flooring and carpet FINALLY went down after a 2 month wait for the installer.  Check!  Chimney re-laid from the roof up.  Check!  Had the tree boys in to cut out a big bush on one side of the back yard then grind the stump out.  Check!  Then they ground out all of these stupid rhododendron roots that were left-over from last year.  New PrimaLuna amp?  Sighs...  Don't wanna talk about spending $5k right now.  hahahaha  Check mate!

Hope your safe down under Paul.  Caught some of the stuff from Melbourne on the news.  Ugh!  AND don't ask me why I got outta bed at 4AM cause I dunno!  Coffee IV so should make it for a while  :)  

Wb everyone!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Hope your safe down under Paul.  Caught some of the stuff from Melbourne on the news.  Ugh!  AND don't ask me why I got outta bed at 4AM cause I dunno!  Coffee IV so should make it for a while  :)  

All is good here in Brisbane 

I assume you are talking about protestors in the middle of a pandemic 

Its a tragedy around the world that the nanny state mentality has produced a minority of the dumbest people 

No common sense (palm slap 👋 )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Welcome 2 America (Prince)

Short version: this album feels so much like coming home for any Prince fan out there. Buy it. It will put a big smile on your face.

Long version: This album is long over due, but still an essential album in your collection. It was recorded and finished by Prince in 2011 and then for some bizarre reason ended up in his 'vault' in Paisly Park, only to see the light in 2021. We should be thankful for that!

I've been a fan of Prince since Purple Rain came out in the 1980s, and then quickly retro-bought all his previous albums on vinyl, and continued to buy his CDs, until he kind of started repeating himself at one point in time. But let me tell you, the songs on this album are so much 'prince' it will put a big smile on your face. They are gorgeously produced and sound really good (I've only listened to the vinyl records, not the cd, no streaming). Some lyrics are nasty and criticizing trends in society (Google and Apple get criticized, not so for Facebook (!)). Some songs are funky and fun!

This is the Artist, the Genius, the Master at work!

In spring, I jumped at the opportunity to pre-order the whole 'deluxe' package at Prince's official store, and what I received today, August 24, 2021, is really worthwhile and something I will cherish for ever.  2 vinyl records, a cd, a blu-ray, a picture book with the lyrics, and then a lot of promo stuff. It took a while for it to get to Belgium, being held back by customs and adding taxes to the price (thank you Europe, NOT), and I decided not to listen to the album on Spotify until I got the package in my home. I'm so glad I did , because the reward is so big! I can't remember the last time I took a brand new Prince vinyl album out of its sleeve to put it on the turntable for the first time. It must have been in the late 1980s or early 1990s, with LoveSexy (Prince's album).

Side 4 of my 'deluxe' edition vinyl album has no music on it, but beautiful 'vinyl etching' (see picture below). In relation to that, there are two remarks I want to formulate. One, for a fan base, there's nothing better than this, no digital download or format can beat this, ever. Two, a lot of effort and creativity was put in bringing this album on the market and I'm looking forward to what is to come! The future is looking bright!

PSX_20210824_135037.jpg

PSX_20210824_135007.jpg

PSX_20210824_134950.jpg

PSX_20210824_134915.jpg

PSX_20210824_134857.jpg

• Like 4