Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

This week's thriftstore finds, total cost €3.

I have an Alban Berg Quartet recording of this famous Schubert quartet on CD, so I thought it would be nice to compare it with the Heutling Quartet version. 

Last week, I was at a live concert in Ghent, Belgium, at the Saint Peter Church, where I heard a Respighi piece for the first time. I was very impressed. So this album inspired by Rome, caught my eye instantly. It sounds amazing on vinyl, and there's also a sacd of it. 

Ghent, btw, is a very nice city!!! 

PSX_20211028_160847.jpg

PSX_20211028_160727.jpg

PSX_20211028_162652.jpg

PSX_20211028_162627.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

happy whatever today was. a holiday is a good thing. 

It’s an agricultural show holiday 

It was canceled due to covid 2 months ago and the holiday was moved to today 

27 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Saw Mike posted something and that LP came to mind...  Great one fo sure!  :)

Saw mikes posts of Peter Gabriel a while ago. Probably subconsciously picked him due to that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

An interesting read on 'optical reading of analog audio discs' technology. This technology is fully working and used by European governments to digitize important records.

It’s great to see that old recordings are not lost forever, and the technology is bringing them back to life 

• Like 2

This will be the last one for the day but tomorrow is the weekend 

From memory this was supposed to be a double album but never happened 

Someone knows the full story I’m sure 

Artist - Electric Light Orchestra 

Title - Secret Messages 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/528984-Electric-Light-Orchestra-Secret-Messages

2-DC50-E20-C5-E4-4-D2-D-BBC6-96-A21-A85-

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

SAPHIR : OPTICAL PLAYBACK OF ANALOGUE AUDIO DISC RECORDS

An interesting read on 'optical reading of analog audio discs' technology. This technology is fully working and used by European governments to digitize important records.

http://recherche.ina.fr/eng/Details-projets/saphir

It seems like a lot of American Film restorations are done with original films from European Archives, many run by preservation Societies.

Not long ago recording and vinyl record pressing was distributed and affordable.

Much from lesser known artists will probably be lost, some of the old 78s I've heard are quite good when cleaned up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

SAPHIR : OPTICAL PLAYBACK OF ANALOGUE AUDIO DISC RECORDS

http://recherche.ina.fr/eng/Details-projets/saphir

The sample recordings could be easily cleaned up and brought back to life.

We played with some 78s, with EQ and software we brought them back to life, surprising in some cases, we extracted natural female voice from near flat nothing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

Slept in this morning because today we have a Brisbane only a public holiday 

After a coffee to wake up I wanted to play some music & chose this album  first released in 1986 

Artist - Peter Gabriel 

Title - So

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/379036-Peter-Gabriel-So

AF79-AB91-3696-4-AD4-ABCB-F8-EDDD693785.

Masterpiece, Landmark LP

It will literally be around forever.

• Like 2

https://www.vinylrecordlife.com/this-is-what-vinyl-records-are-made-of/

Interesting web site on vinyl records

One of the ingredients in the mix are lubricants

for ease of flow and release of the hot PVC

also claim it eases the friction of the stylus.

I have seen claims of products for lubricating records

but assumed it would just accumulate on the needle

I recall Armor All ads on TV, to restore the shine to records..

Anyone have any thoughts on this one ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bubo said:

https://www.vinylrecordlife.com/this-is-what-vinyl-records-are-made-of/

Interesting web site on vinyl records

One of the ingredients in the mix are lubricants

for ease of flow and release of the hot PVC

also claim it eases the friction of the stylus.

I have seen claims of products for lubricating records

but assumed it would just accumulate on the needle

I recall Armor All ads on TV, to restore the shine to records..

Anyone have any thoughts on this one ?

I add a few drops of baby oil in my home made record cleaning fluid 

• Like 2

For audiophiles out there that want a fast and reliable method of cleaning your vinyl record, you’re in the right place. Here’s how you use WD-40:

1.Spray the WD-40 on a lint-free cloth

2.Thoroughly clean the vinyl record with the sprayed cloth

3.Let it sit and dry for a couple of 3-4 minutes.

4.You’re done!

https://vacationvinyl.com/how-to-properly-use-wd-40-to-clean-vinyl-records/#:~:text=WD-40 removes any dust%2C dirt%2C grime%2C or unwanted,deem it controversial%2C but WD-40 does the job.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Record lubricators & preservatives

I recently was introduced to GroOove Lube, a spray-on treatment for preserving vinyl record fidelity. Given the claim that the effect of treating a record is “stunning”, what would it do for my records? Would I get the quieter background and increased depth and detail? I applied it as per the instructions to a very familiar disc that was newly washed. Would it sound different to the many times I’ve previously heard it untreated? Yes indeed! Greater vitality is how I feel describes the music emanating from the playing of a newly washed and lubed record. This seems miraculous and I wasn’t really anticipating any effect to be so startlingly discernable.

It’s too early to know the long-term effects of GroOove Lube, but I liken it to Sound Guard record preservative, a similar product that was promoted by a British hifi magazine in the early 1980s (HiFi Sound, I think). This was derived from lubrication technology developed by Ball Corporation for NASA, and worked by lubricating the vinyl and thus reducing stylus wear and static charge on the groove surface. I applied that to quite a few of my records in 1981 (I wrote the date on the sleeves), simply spraying it onto the surface of each record and then buffing it lightly. These records remain some of the shiniest, quietest, and crispest sounding in my collection, and for the large part having never been washed or re-treated.

Other products I’ve seen, but are also not readily available in retailers, only by mail order (from the USA), are Milty Permostat and Permaclean, Gruv Glide, and LAST record preservative. Gruv Glide is an aerosol application claimed to improve sound quality. LAST is an archiving preservative that is claimed to “chemically enhance the molecular stability of the vinyl surface”.

https://hifiauditions.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/record-lubricators-preservatives/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bubo, I wonder if WD 40 has any effect on the stylus ( bonding agent ). I use it sometimes to remove TAR from my hands. I'm never w/o it, & have cans in various locations- Truck, Garage, Basement & under the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a try. Just never crossed my mind to try it, Thanks

PS, maybe George could try it first & report back to us? LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KROCK said:

Bubo, I wonder if WD 40 has any effect on the stylus ( bonding agent ). I use it sometimes to remove TAR from my hands. I'm never w/o it, & have cans in various locations- Truck, Garage, Basement & under the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a try. Just never crossed my mind to try it, Thanks 

Without removing the stylus

it will be hard to examine the stylus to see if the WD transfers off of the record

WD is one of the great inventions of our time along with CRC

Let us know what you discover

I can say that my cleaning method with dish soap and micro fiber does a great job, does it reduce lubricants from the vinyl manufacturing process, maybe....

• Like 2

How do you lubricate PVC pipe?

Asked By: Leo Oroz | Last Updated: 4th February, 2020
Category: style and fashion makeup and accessories
4.5/5 (3,572 Views . 22 Votes)
White Mineral Oil A New Way to Lubricate Rigid PVC. Processors of rigid PVC pipe, window profiles, siding, fencing, and doors can save money and speed compound mixing by using a new grade of white mineral oil as an external lubricant in place of the usual paraffin wax.

Click to see full answer

Also question is, how do you keep PVC pipes from sticking?

your choices:

1. soapy water - will make it easier to assemble and remain hard to dis-assemble.
  2. Silicone spray - is a good lubricant to use, since it is fairly non-reactive and effective.
  3. Petroleum jelly - this is also good.. but will stick to everything and will get on your hands.

Secondly, how do you lubricate plastic threads? Dry graphite lubricant powder used by locksmiths. Rub into both threaded part with cloth. Silicone grease or oil, Krytox if you're rich, or Dow Corning Molykote 55 Oring lube.

Also to know, can you use wd40 on PVC pipe?

In general, WD-40 is a petroleum based lubricant and will not affect most general use plastics such as PVC, PP, HDPE or ABS. Never use WD-40 on any kind of plastics.

Will wd40 hurt PVC?

It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

https://findanyanswer.com/how-do-you-lubricate-pvc-pipe#:~:text=Silicone grease or oil%2C Krytox if you're rich%2C,Never use WD-40 on any kind of plastics.

• Like 1