Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Just now, JohnJ said:

Let us know how the soundscape has improved down there @Full Range !

It’s been a wet week here and that is great for no static 

Can’t fault the Sansui AU717 

At some point in the future I will have it fully recapped with my preferred capacitors - Elna Silmic or Audionote Kaisei 

It’s history of work is now known after its recent checkup -  it’s had limited work done.
So if I want it to perform at its best for many years to come it will need a full recap and service. 

• Like 4

On 11/22/2021 at 8:15 PM, Mossy bottom said:

I love a really well recorded album, even if it isn't within my music taste.

That's an interesting subject and you folks here would certainly be among the best to ask. It opens the subject of "Direct to Disc" recordings: a technique I know nothing about. Any thoughts?

A separate but also interesting subject: Is "remastering" another topic worthy of discussion? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

That's an interesting subject and you folks here would certainly be among the best to ask. It opens the subject of "Direct to Disc" recordings: a technique I know nothing about. Any thoughts?

A separate but also interesting subject: Is "remastering" another topic worthy of discussion? 

What you want is from original master tapes 

As for direct to disc or remastered the sound depends on the human called the engineer and how his ears perceive the output 

Most remastered releases tend to be bass heavy overpowering the rest 

But some engineers get it just right, so reviews on any release you are interested is is best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I haven't noticed that on the one's I've picked up.  Everything seems cleaner and tighter and if anything lacking some bass for the most part.  That's the LS way though I guess.  They're not lacking when they hit those twin 18's though.  hahaha  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Full Range said:

1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

if anything lacking some bass for the most part

I guess that proves:

21 minutes ago, Full Range said:

the sound depends on the human called the engineer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Area 51 said:

"Direct to Disc" recordings: a technique I know nothing about. Any thoughts?

Not contentious like the cable subject but like "It's not cold." between two people that grew up 1000 miles apart longitudinally.

MFSL did their LPs bass revealing several times that I know of. Did the regular pressings just miss out on representing the music? Half-Speeds can reveal everything especially the imaging if you have your rig set up right. That premium vinyl does sound better when some companies use it to press music on.

Master Tapes won't lie. Remasters are like when a director/musician puts his arrangement to Handel's "Messiah". Cutting out Vincent Price's short narrative on that Alan Parson's Project lp frustrated me looking to replace my worn out original.

Two or three years ago RUSH re-released their whole catalog in a heavy 200 gram "Direct-to-Metal" pressing. This has been interesting to me since. I knew these songs for decades and was hearing nuances (across the full frequency range) & in the percussion that only Neal could have done! Those really enhanced the treble and I had to activate and use the tone controls on my new rig to take an edge off. Some of the re-releases try to fix problems in regular, non Klipsch peoples stereos. My Klipsch did not need any help revealing mids and highs so there.

I did not buy them all, my old ones were good. Regret that, now those released a couple years ago are $$$.

My 2 cents!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Cutting out Vincent Price's

05-06-orsonwelles-02.jpg

In 1987, Parsons completely remixed the album, including additional guitar passages and narration (by Orson Welles) as well as updating the production style to include heavy reverb and the gated reverb snare drum sound, which was popular in the 1980s. The CD notes that Welles never met Parsons or Eric Woolfson, but sent a tape to them of the performance shortly after the album was manufactured in 1976.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Area 51 said:

DMM - this is the abbreviation for Direct Metal Mastering, which was introduced as a new technology by Teldec at the beginning of the 1980s and has since been used for many new records. In this process, some steps in the production of a record are bypassed, but essentially the pressing die (from which a finished LP will eventually be made) is manufactured differently.
It now consists of a copper layer applied to a stainless steel plate. And this copper layer is now cut directly by the cutting stylus, hence the term direct metal mastering.

Too complicated? That's right, it's very technical and you don't need to know the details. But what is important and here we are at the clear advantage of this DMM process: the highs usually sound much more brilliant and clear with a DMM than with a normally manufactured LP (lacquer foil, foil cut). Also, there are no pre-echoes due to this, because the hard metal is less susceptible to cutting than with the lacquer foil. Overall, you can also get more playing time on one LP side, which was quite a significant argument in the 80s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Area 51 there´s also another DMM process in the market .....so called RESO Mastering

RESO Mastering (Reference Sound Mastering), the high definition mastering procedure, provides significant acoustic improvements in transparency, dynamics, bass reproduction and depth differentiation. The music is gaining more atmosphere and emotion. To best transmit this musical experience, instead of a normal CD, a HQCD respectively to get even closer to the master quality, a UHQ-CD is used as sound carrier and instead of normal LP vinyl, 180g audiophile Virgin Vinyl.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ekseption was a Dutch rock band active from 1967 to 1989, playing mostly-instrumental progressive rock and classical rock. The central character in the changing roster, and the only band member present on every album, was conservatory-trained trumpeter Rein van den Broek (10 September 1945 - 11 May 2015). The band saw some commercial success in the 1970s, having Dutch top ten hit singles with their adaptations of Beethoven's "Fifth" and Bach's (Celebrated) "Air". The second album, Beggar Julia's Time Trip (1969), won the Dutch Edison Award for album of the year, and the first five albums all went gold.

took a while to get it because it´s rare ....finally it´s mine ..the album " Bingo " 1974 Philips Label , printed in germany

182178604_EkseptionBingo.thumb.jpg.568fcea58566d615e1db9612234d9516.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

and this was the second album from Ekseption i was looking for a long time ,quite rare,  glad to have it now

" Mindmirror " 1975 , Philips LAbel, printed in germany

Mindmirror.thumb.jpg.80a72894260136a2361fd3678b89224a.jpg

Loving the cover so much , it reminds me of my childhood when I was allowed to ride with my father in his Mercedes 280 SE , 3,5  It was a sublime feeling to sit in these luxury cars.

1716565077_innenraumbenz2.jpg.d8b978d49700c75238ea7059d5a93323.jpg

1547459605_280SEBenz.jpg.ff5fbff4dc7492ba0026c390d53b9ce9.jpg

• Like 4