Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

I worked all day yesterday by cramming 2 days work into 1 day so I can have today off 

Woke up late and had a coffee. So I’m spinning a record now 

Artist - Jethro Tull

Title - Passion Play 

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/5697174-Jethro-Tull-A-Passion-Play

Booklet still intact inside the cover 

4-B77-A3-C3-F61-E-4-A34-8-C21-D664-D8595

CAF8-A1-BB-13-F1-447-F-AF8-B-7-F6-E7-DEF

• Thanks 3

I'm never too old to learn... Didn't know anything about this. Seems like Reed lived in 2021 back in the early 1970s...

On Lou Reed's Coney Island Baby:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Baby: The album has been described by Anthony DeCurtis as "perhaps the most romantic album of Reed's career".[1] Many of the album's songs were inspired by and dedicated to Reed's girlfriend and muse at the time, a trans woman named Rachel Humphreys.[2][3] According to Aidan Levy, Coney Island Baby was "as much a love letter to Rachel as it was to the nostalgic Coney Island of the mind."[4]

Rachel Humphreys was muse and lover to musician Lou Reed.[1] Their relationship has been described as seminal. Humphreys inspired lyrics, songs and artwork and accompanied him on tour during the mid-1970s.[2]

Raised in Bridgeton, New Jersey and San Antonio, Texas, Humphreys was of Mexican Native descent.[3] and was striking looking and tall. Humphreys was a trans woman and they met at a nightclub in Greenwich Village in New York[4] Reed was instantly attracted and they lived together as a couple. Their relationship, which lasted a few years between 1973-1977, is not well documented, but Humphreys is widely recognised as being the inspiration for the songs on the album Coney Island Baby. [5] Together they explored the boundaries of gender roles. Humphreys used both male and female pronouns at different times and both Reed and Humphreys enjoyed wearing each other’s clothes.[3] Humphreys' role in Reed's life is subject to continuing interest from music and popular culture journalists.[6][3]

Humphreys died of AIDS in 1990 age 37[7] at St. Clare's Hospital, New York City.[3]

A Gender Variance Who's Who: Rachel Humphreys (1952 - 1990) hairdresser,  muse to Lou Reed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On Carole King... Though I recognize many of her songs on Tapistry, of course, I didn't know anything about her career, until now, that is:

Carole King Klein[2] (born Carol Joan Klein; February 9, 1942) is an American singer, songwriter, and musician who has been active since 1958, initially as one of the staff songwriters at the Brill Building and later as a solo artist. Regarded as one of the most significant and influential musicians of all time, King is the most successful female songwriter of the latter half of the 20th century in the US, having written or co-written 118 pop hits on the Billboard Hot 100.[3] King also wrote 61 hits that charted in the UK,[4] making her the most successful female songwriter on the UK singles charts between 1962 and 2005.[5]

Shame on me... "You make feel like a natural woman" is a Carole King song !!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(You_Make_Me_Feel_Like)_A_Natural_Woman

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

On Carole King... Though I recognize many of her songs on Tapistry, of course, I didn't know anything about her career, until now, that is:

Carole King also wrote many of James Taylor’s songs 

Here is a link with a list of all her works and how many artists covered or songs purchased for them 

https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/2270/works

Edit 

In the early days before Tapestry she wrote and sold songs for $25 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Carole King also wrote many of James Taylor’s songs 

Here is a link with a list of all her works and how many artists covered or songs purchased for them 

https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/2270/works

Edit 

In the early days before Tapestry she wrote and sold songs for $25 

OMG... Carole King even (co-)wrote The Loco-motion 

• Thanks 2

Here's a 'first timer' in the last week of 2021...

There is a censor-BLEEP in the first track of Johnny Cash At San Quentin.

Fact: the show was being recorded for television broadcast. 

🤐

IMPORTANT UPDATE

1. This album is MONO and sounds amazing!
  2. Except for the censored cursing, the song introductions are real fun to listen to! What a great person, Johnny Cash!

PSX_20211228_121546.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

I'm never too old to learn... Didn't know anything about this. Seems like Reed lived in 2021 back in the early 1970s...

On Lou Reed's Coney Island Baby:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Baby: The album has been described by Anthony DeCurtis as "perhaps the most romantic album of Reed's career".[1] Many of the album's songs were inspired by and dedicated to Reed's girlfriend and muse at the time, a trans woman named Rachel Humphreys.[2][3] According to Aidan Levy, Coney Island Baby was "as much a love letter to Rachel as it was to the nostalgic Coney Island of the mind."[4]

Rachel Humphreys was muse and lover to musician Lou Reed.[1] Their relationship has been described as seminal. Humphreys inspired lyrics, songs and artwork and accompanied him on tour during the mid-1970s.[2]

Raised in Bridgeton, New Jersey and San Antonio, Texas, Humphreys was of Mexican Native descent.[3] and was striking looking and tall. Humphreys was a trans woman and they met at a nightclub in Greenwich Village in New York[4] Reed was instantly attracted and they lived together as a couple. Their relationship, which lasted a few years between 1973-1977, is not well documented, but Humphreys is widely recognised as being the inspiration for the songs on the album Coney Island Baby. [5] Together they explored the boundaries of gender roles. Humphreys used both male and female pronouns at different times and both Reed and Humphreys enjoyed wearing each other’s clothes.[3] Humphreys' role in Reed's life is subject to continuing interest from music and popular culture journalists.[6][3]

Humphreys died of AIDS in 1990 age 37[7] at St. Clare's Hospital, New York City.[3]

A Gender Variance Who's Who: Rachel Humphreys (1952 - 1990) hairdresser,  muse to Lou Reed

• Like 4

Good stuff in here since I last had the chance to sit and wander around the www. Need to look up those jazz Lps that I do not know. Never heard that Loco-Motion before, But Tattoo You has interesting cover/sleeve artwork and music. It's not up there with Some Girls or Goats Head Soup to me, but it's sure got some good R&R on it!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Full Range said:

It’s in a similar theme to the song Lola by the Kinks 

It was released in 1970 

I wonder if that gave Lou Reed a light globe 💡 moment to write Walk On The Wild Side and release it in 1972 ?

Big paradigm shift here... Never realised Lola was about trans gender... 

Now I'm going to take a good listen to Clapton's Layla too... You never know what surprise is hidden in those lyrics. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A long time ago, some clever person at EMI thought "Let's put two classic jazz records on one cd and sell them at mid price." And then I came along, and in an unprecedented act of heroism, I bought them. 😉

Sarah Vaughan's Snowbound is a hidden gem and I wish I had it on vinyl! 

PSX_20211229_084017.jpg

• Like 3