Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

54 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@MicroMara 

Thats in Carolina USA

My oldest daughter was named Carolina 

North Carolina.

My old boss lived next door to James Taylor’s grandparents place down in Morganton.

I quite like the Mountain views and weather we get up here in the western part of the state.

We’ve had upper 60’s for temperatures this past week but are supposed to get 4-7” of snow overnight.

• Like 3

Grew up and ran all over that area when I was a teen @Invidiosulus was in 210 off and on from `63 until July 1 this year.

Odds are the snow will all go north of I-40 but we'll see! ;)

* @Tarheel the nitwits used that for a fight song back when the panthers were the cardiac cats

It is not any kind of fight song.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Grew up and ran all over that area when I was a teen @Invidiosulus was in 210 off and on from `63 until July 1 this year.

Odds are the snow will all go north of I-40 but we'll see! ;)

* @Tarheel the nitwits used that for a fight song back when the panthers were the cardiac cats

It is not any kind of fight song.

I’m in Spruce Pine at 2600 ft above sea level and my office is up in Banner Elk at about 3750.

I’ve been getting pinged all weekend that a power supply in our core switch is acting up so I really should go in tomorrow.

I guess I’ll see what Mother Nature thinks about it in the morning.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Ahh, not actually Hong Kong.

I’m in the USA in zip code 28777.

The location in my profile is a reference to one of the franchised burbclaves in the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

I’ve watched a number of street photographer videos from Hong Kong over the years and it seems like a magnificent city to visit if only the mainland govt wasn’t so heavy handed nowadays.

cheers,

Josh.

UUPPSSS animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif   guess I was on a wrong way . Got it now , thanx for clarification,  George

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

North Carolina.

My old boss lived next door to James Taylor’s grandparents place down in Morganton.

I quite like the Mountain views and weather we get up here in the western part of the state.

We’ve had upper 60’s for temperatures this past week but are supposed to get 4-7” of snow overnight.

better you than me !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Taxi Driver, original soundtrack, 1976.

Bernard Hermann

Edit: The music by Bernard Herrmann was his final score before his death on December 24, 1975, and the film is dedicated to his memory.

EDIT:

For a Scorsese film, Taxi Driver is relatively light on popular music: the extensive pop culture quotation that many people associate with his films would come with bigger budgets. The only noticeable instance in the film is a scene where Jackson Browne’s “Late for the Sky” plays as Travis watches American Bandstand. There’s a lyrical reference of sorts in the way that Betsy quotes Kris Kristofferson’s “The Pilgrim” to describe Travis: “He’s a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction/Taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home.”
But there’s one literal needle drop that is easy to overlook, and it might be the most audacious of Scorsese’s career. It comes in one of the few scenes that does not involve Travis at all, a discussion between the teenage prostitute Iris (Jodie Foster) and her pimp Sport (Harvey Keitel). As he attempts to seduce Iris, Sport puts a record in a stereo, drops the needle, and out comes a slight variation of Bernard Herrmann’s score for the movie.
It’s genuinely jarring when it happens, a postmodern moment thrown into the middle of a movie that to this point has felt grounded in psychological realism. It would be like if The Graduate had a scene where Benjamin Braddock went to a Simon & Garfunkel concert and they played “Mrs. Robinson” for him. (https://thespool.net/features/taxi-driver/ )

PSX_20220103_155316.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Les MacCann

Heavily influenced by blues and gospel, pianist Les McCann was one of the pioneers of soul jazz, along with Ramsey Lewis. In 1969, Les McCann performed with jazz saxophonist Eddie Harris at the Montreux Jazz Festival. In the 1970s, Les McCann released numerous other records as a singer, with clear soul and funk influences.

In 1971, McCann and Harris performed with Wilson Pickett, The Staple Singers, Santana, and Ike & Tina Turner in Accra, Ghana, in a concert before 100,000 Ghanaians. The concert was recorded as the documentary Soul To Soul and released on DVD in 2004. In 1975, he toured with Klaus Doldinger's Passport (heard on Doldinger Jubilee '75). In 2004 he performed with Cornell Dupree (guitar), Ronnie Cuber (tenor saxophone), Gordon Edwarts (bass) and Buddy Williams (drums) at the Jazzwoche Burghausen, where he presented his song Little Blue Volkswagen, among others.

" Music lets me be " Produced by Esmond Edwards & Les MacCann , 1977 , ABC Records

lesMaccann.thumb.jpg.bc71538fed47209c7c89854bca6d76ab.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Les MacCann

Heavily influenced by blues and gospel, pianist Les McCann was one of the pioneers of soul jazz, along with Ramsey Lewis. In 1969, Les McCann performed with jazz saxophonist Eddie Harris at the Montreux Jazz Festival. In the 1970s, Les McCann released numerous other records as a singer, with clear soul and funk influences.

In 1971, McCann and Harris performed with Wilson Pickett, The Staple Singers, Santana, and Ike & Tina Turner in Accra, Ghana, in a concert before 100,000 Ghanaians. The concert was recorded as the documentary Soul To Soul and released on DVD in 2004. In 1975, he toured with Klaus Doldinger's Passport (heard on Doldinger Jubilee '75). In 2004 he performed with Cornell Dupree (guitar), Ronnie Cuber (tenor saxophone), Gordon Edwarts (bass) and Buddy Williams (drums) at the Jazzwoche Burghausen, where he presented his song Little Blue Volkswagen, among others.

" Music lets me be " Produced by Esmond Edwards & Les MacCann , 1977 , ABC Records

lesMaccann.thumb.jpg.bc71538fed47209c7c89854bca6d76ab.jpg

Very funky!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I’m in Spruce Pine at 2600 ft above sea level and my office is up in Banner Elk at about 3750.

Watched the home prices go up 100% + from last spring to August last year. Were you there for the quake a couple years ago? I felt it. Banner Elk, Blowing Rock & Boone. From your pics you're too young to recall, but in the late 70s Appalachian State was one of the top "Party Schools" in the country!  It got cold early and stayed cold until the next April. Slopes all had natural packed runs most all winter. The Charger was heavy but too squirrelly in ice, so I didn't drive, was a passenger going up. PB Scotts Music Hall was cheaper when the local acts were there!

http://appalachianmemorykeepers.org/stories/the-legendary-pb-scotts/

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/blowingrocket/to-p-b-scotts-with-love-the-high-country-remembers-a-beloved-music-venue/article_c5fe3098-b821-5b4c-91d0-399f9dc5708b.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

There is a small scandinavian TT Manufacturer called " Bergmann " Audio. Bergmann aims to develop air-bearing turntables and air-bearing tangential tone arms with the least amount of parts.

So Bergman Audio is the Hyundai of the audio world... Nice find, I'd go for one of those if/when I could!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Watched the home prices go up 200% from last spring to August last year. Were you there for the quake a couple years ago? I felt it. Banner Elk, Blowing Rock & Boone. From your pics you're too young to recall, but in the late 70s Appalachian State was one of the top "Party Schools" in the country!  It got cold early and stayed cold until the next April. Slopes all had natural packed runs most all winter. The Charger was heavy but too squirrelly in ice, so I didn't drive, was a passenger going up. PB Scotts Music Hall was cheaper when the local acts were there!

http://appalachianmemorykeepers.org/stories/the-legendary-pb-scotts/

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/blowingrocket/to-p-b-scotts-with-love-the-high-country-remembers-a-beloved-music-venue/article_c5fe3098-b821-5b4c-91d0-399f9dc5708b.html

Yep, too young and not a native to the high country.

Four of my kids were born in Banner Elk though so I definitely feel like this area is home at this point.

There have been a couple of quakes in the area in the past decade.

I think the only one that I remember noticing was actually centered somewhere up in Virginia back around 2011-12 or so.

I was working at Lees-McRae College at the time and noticed the water bottle on my desk start swaying back and forth and there was a noticeable rumbling noise that filled our basement office.

The housing market is nuts up here.

A good friend of mine just sold his house in Banner Elk, which was really nice, for $450,000.

We we’re looking at some other homes in the area, one of which was an 800sq ft dump of a shack which apparently just sold for $270,000.

It makes me glad I bought my house in Spruce Pine when I did back in 2016.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were some real nice ~ 1K sq ft and under places up there for around $100 - 125k I'd bookmarked last year. After I got the $ to make a deal they all went up 100k. Think the one I felt in Charlotte was in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

So Bergman Audio is the Hyundai of the audio world... Nice find, I'd go for one of those if/when I could!

He´s from denmark , close to 20K  smilie_shop_031.gif   without cartridge   , who knows ..some day ....

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1