Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

There is a small scandinavian TT Manufacturer called " Bergmann " Audio. Bergmann aims to develop air-bearing turntables and air-bearing tangential tone arms with the least amount of parts.

579378633_GaldermitOdinArm.jpg.0dc4dd0ef865ecdaa80fcf39000d55ab.jpgGalder2.jpg.89b82ac51cc570c67d503b6256f7211b.jpg1383256287_OdinArm.jpg.67d178d2705a71cb6b3ab3b58bff0247.jpg

I know it's surely a superb machine (must be for the $$$), but it looks too much like an industrial robot to me... I like my wooden plinths and metal arms and tables... It's just me rambelin´... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

I know it's surely a superb machine (must be for the $$$), but it looks too much like an industrial robot to me... I like my wooden plinths and metal arms and tables... It's just me rambelin´... 

No.. it looks that way to me too.

but with a tangential tonearm it is awesome! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:47 PM, MeloManiac said:

Big paradigm shift here... Never realised Lola was about trans gender... 

Now I'm going to take a good listen to Clapton's Layla too... You never know what surprise is hidden in those lyrics. 

You do know that Layla is a love song to George Harrison's wife Patty Boyd, don't you?  George wasn't too impressed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

IF I hit the lottery I'll put a couple on my list.  :)

Everyone in here gets a turntable!  Beats getting a toaster!

Thanks Dave , Im happy with mine , but a third tonearm would be nice 😂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

There's a back story on all of that according to EC.  Then there is also another story about his current wife, which I know is crap.  It would be a short novel for me to write and no one would believe it so there's that.  

I would buy that novel to read 

Write the blasted thing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MicroMara said:

There is a small scandinavian TT Manufacturer called " Bergmann " Audio. Bergmann aims to develop air-bearing turntables and air-bearing tangential tone arms with the least amount of parts.

579378633_GaldermitOdinArm.jpg.0dc4dd0ef865ecdaa80fcf39000d55ab.jpgGalder2.jpg.89b82ac51cc570c67d503b6256f7211b.jpg1383256287_OdinArm.jpg.67d178d2705a71cb6b3ab3b58bff0247.jpg

If you put four linear tracking arms on it... 

You get a square circle! 

😁

I read a review of this Bergmann tt last night and this pro said that the accumulated distortion of most linear tracking tonearms is much worse than the slight distortion one gets from a standard tonearm. This tt is an exception because it is 'air bearing' : the tonearm (?) and the platter are floating on a cushion of air, so there is no friction, hence no distortion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

This tt is an exception because it is 'air bearing' : the tonearm (?) and the platter are floating on a cushion of air, so there is no friction, hence no distortion.

My tonearm also floats on an air cushion 

And can be fitted to just about any turntable- so that makes the TransFi Terminator a unique component that anyone with a turntable can access 

https://trans-fi.webs.com/terminator-tonearm

@MicroMara should consider one for his 3rd tonearm 🤪

• Like 5

Below is a picture of my collection of 'new' vinyl records I bought in the past two years. I have two more plastic boxes like this one. The second one is filled with my 'old' new albums, which I bought since the 1980s, and the third one is filled with second hand albums I bought in the local thrifstore in the past two years. Then there is a stack of LP boxes, because they don't fit in these plastic containers.

I also invested in plastic sleeves for all of my albums.

The thing is that I ran out of these plastic containers, and I don't think they 'll still have them in the shop where I bought them.

So I'm looking for advice on how to store my albums. I listen to them all the time, in my living room, and I have very little (or no) space for a LP storage cabinet. Please consider I'm living in Europe, shipping furniture or boxes from the US to the old continent costs a fortune (as it does from the UK now too...)

They seem to have quite a lot of things here: https://www.gear4music.be/nl/dj-apparatuur/vinyl-accessoires/vinyl-opslag but I have no idea what would be the best for me.

PSX_20220104_100203.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

So I'm looking for advice on how to store my albums. I listen to them all the time, in my living room, and I have very little (or no) space for a LP storage cabinet. Please consider I'm living in Europe, shipping furniture or boxes from the US to the old continent costs a fortune (as it does from the UK now too...)

They seem to have quite a lot of things here: https://www.gear4music.be/nl/dj-apparatuur/vinyl-accessoires/vinyl-opslag but I have no idea what would be the best for me.

On that link I see many good candidates and also the IKEA suggestion 

You need to count how many records you have in your collection 

Then choose a record storage unit that holds approximately double that number so you can build on it over the years 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The 4 cube Kallax will probably be perfect 

And if you need more storage you can get another and place it on top like a double decker 

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/kallax-regal-weiss-20275814/

This link has the cube internal measurements and records will fit perfectly 

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/kallax-shelving-unit-white-20351884/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Full Range said:

The 4 cube Kallax will probably be perfect 

And if you need more storage you can get another and place it on top like a double decker 

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/kallax-regal-weiss-20275814/

This link has the cube internal measurements and records will fit perfectly 

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/kallax-shelving-unit-white-20351884/

I have actually two of these in my home (plus some bigger ones.) I'll have to start negotiations with my spouse and see if she's willing to reorganise the household. 

I hate going to Ikea. Feels like having run a marathon when I get back home. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Yep, too young and not a native to the high country.

Four of my kids were born in Banner Elk though so I definitely feel like this area is home at this point.

There have been a couple of quakes in the area in the past decade.

I think the only one that I remember noticing was actually centered somewhere up in Virginia back around 2011-12 or so.

I was working at Lees-McRae College at the time and noticed the water bottle on my desk start swaying back and forth and there was a noticeable rumbling noise that filled our basement office.

The housing market is nuts up here.

A good friend of mine just sold his house in Banner Elk, which was really nice, for $450,000.

We we’re looking at some other homes in the area, one of which was an 800sq ft dump of a shack which apparently just sold for $270,000.

It makes me glad I bought my house in Spruce Pine when I did back in 2016.

My father graduated from Lees-McRae college.....born in Old Fort in 1915.  The family had a large Victorian house in town but many years later when I drove through sadly the house had been remuddled.  All the gingerbread and trim stripped off and vinyl siding installed🤢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2