Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Rather than adding yet another cabinet to our already full house, we decided to repurpose these ancient apple crates and upgrade them to vinyl records storage. After all, we are firm believers in recycling and circular economy. That's just part of my fascination for vintage gear and vinyl records... 

Thanks for all the replies! 

PSX_20220104_140411.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

My tonearm also floats on an air cushion 

And can be fitted to just about any turntable- so that makes the TransFi Terminator a unique component that anyone with a turntable can access 

https://trans-fi.webs.com/terminator-tonearm

@MicroMara should consider one for his 3rd tonearm 🤪

The thought is already tempting, but if I installed the second tonearm , the two are really enough. Then I have a light- and a medium weight tonearm. For my pickups that fits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just spinning at a grey and rainy afternoon....Alan Parsons Project , " I Robot " 1977 , Arista Label 

Insinde of the cover is written the following , 45 years ago they wrote .." I robot … the story of the rise of the machine and the decline of man, which paradoxically coincided with his discovery of the wheel… and a warning that his brief dominance of this planet will probably end, because he tried to create his own image.”   ....True words...

Alan.thumb.jpg.fa85fa0b499c4b6388e829541dd2cc91.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

IMG-20210420-143033163.jpg

I had my oak cabinet made locally buy a guy who was a cabinet maker long ago.  4 foot long shelves, smoked glass on rollers in an aluminum recessed track.  Full inch oak all the way around so it's going to take the weight.  Cost me about $750 in the late 70's.  Wanted to have two made then but didn't because of the price.  Now I wish I had two more.  

The rest of the collection is on concrete blocks supporting inch shelving board and the countertop came out of one of Ohio State's chemistry labs.  Lagged those into the wall studs & threw some 2x2 inch pine supports in.  Got the shelving for $20 from some dude who was tearing out the lab.  He wanted it all but was nice enough to help me out with what he had.  Works like a charm.

Recently picked up a 4' long 5 shelf oak cabinet on fb Marketplace for all of my new remasters, etc.  Guy bought it at a Gov't auction and I paid him 20 then he even delivered it from 20 miles away for 50.  Wheeled it in and sat it down.

IMG-20220104-115345556.jpg

Patience is a virtue ya just have to keep your eyes open to do it on the cheap!

I'd recommend building your own wooden "crates."  3-4 feet long, use brass screws for an added "look" and stain/poly them.  Sturdy, stackable and utilize the space you have and easily moved.  

My thoughts anyway.  Trust me I'm cheap, so just take your time and keep your eyes open!  :)

There's the short version.  NOT writing any books on EC either Paul.  First the eyes then the mind they say.  They're right too.  Flashbacks happen at my age alllll the time.  hahaha  Nope, never ate the brown acid either!   😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Help me out here... I recently read something about Alan Parsons colaborating with ??? and then when the band quit, he started the Alan Parsons Project... But who was he working with initially?

EDIT

Alan Parsons appears in the Disney+ documentary 'Get Back' when he was a young sound engineer. He's listed as 'assistant engineer' of Let it Be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(Beatles_album)#Personnel

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

IMG-20210420-143033163.jpg

I had my oak cabinet made locally buy a guy who was a cabinet maker long ago.  4 foot long shelves, smoked glass on rollers in an aluminum recessed track.  Full inch oak all the way around so it's going to take the weight.  Cost me about $750 in the late 70's.  Wanted to have two made then but didn't because of the price.  Now I wish I had two more.  

The rest of the collection is on concrete blocks supporting inch shelving board and the countertop came out of one of Ohio State's chemistry labs.  Lagged those into the wall studs & threw some 2x2 inch pine supports in.  Got the shelving for $20 from some dude who was tearing out the lab.  He wanted it all but was nice enough to help me out with what he had.  Works like a charm.

Recently picked up a 4' long 5 shelf oak cabinet on fb Marketplace for all of my new remasters, etc.  Guy bought it at a Gov't auction and I paid him 20 then he even delivered it from 20 miles away for 50.  Wheeled it in and sat it down.

IMG-20220104-115345556.jpg

Patience is a virtue ya just have to keep your eyes open to do it on the cheap!

I'd recommend building your own wooden "crates."  3-4 feet long, use brass screws for an added "look" and stain/poly them.  Sturdy, stackable and utilize the space you have and easily moved.  

My thoughts anyway.  Trust me I'm cheap, so just take your time and keep your eyes open!  :)

There's the short version.  NOT writing any books on EC either Paul.  First the eyes then the mind they say.  They're right too.  Flashbacks happen at my age alllll the time.  hahaha  Nope, never ate the brown acid either!   😂

Too bad Dave or you could flashback...🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Help me out here... I recently read something about Alan Parsons colaborating with ??? and then when the band quit, he started the Alan Parsons Project... But who was he working with initially?

I know that he was a sound-engineer, for Pink Floyd and others....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

I know that he was a sound-engineer, for Pink Floyd and others....

Alan Parsons appears in the Disney+ documentary 'Get Back' when he was a young sound engineer. He's listed as 'assistant engineer' of Let it Behttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(Beatles_album)#Personnel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In October 1967, at the age of 18, Parsons went to work as an assistant engineer at Abbey Road Studios, where he earned his first credit on the LP Abbey Road. He became a regular there, engineering such projects as Wings' Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, five albums by the Hollies, and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, for which he received his first Grammy Award nomination.

Hit him on Wikipedia for the full story.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Is it the TT, is it the LP? Getting some distortion here and there...

could have many reaasons ......the record itself, the alignment of the tonearm, the antiscating , the vertical tracking angle, the stylus rack angle, the cables , the ground cable connection between phonostage and tt .......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

could have many reasons ......the record itself, the alignment of the tonearm, the antiscating , the vertical tracking angle, the stylus rack angle, the cables , the ground cable connection between phonostage and tt .......

How much an hour you charge for benchwork?  THAT was the laundry list if I ever saw one!  😂  😂   WAIT!!!  Now we know how you're paying for this 3rd tone arm???

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Rather than adding yet another cabinet to our already full house, we decided to repurpose these ancient apple crates and upgrade them to vinyl records storage. After all, we are firm believers in recycling and circular economy. That's just part of my fascination for vintage gear and vinyl records... 

Thanks for all the replies! 

PSX_20220104_140411.jpg

Beautiful 🤘

That is the original version of this newer modern design 

Hasn’t changed much 

1_xxl_77.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

Some of my LP’s still live in an old Schooner Lemons crate I got from @Marvel ages and ages ago.

Gosh, that's at least 55 years old, maybe a lot more. Here's one of the original labels, from the '40s.

L128_1024x.jpg

• Like 6