Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

@Full Range the color just kills me on that mass produced one!

green pea baby ---- They could have made it darker and it would be an olive or army green.

I looked a couple years ago and the old ones that some of us have gotten rid of are the better ones.

Packed mine in these

PXL-20201128-000311429.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Is it the TT, is it the LP? Getting some distortion here and there...

IMG_1943.thumb.jpeg.19389d28a746865bba7a14271c594cae.jpeg

Should have read the notes on the cover... These are outtakes and tracks that didn't make it onto "Born to Run", so it's all kind of rough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Should have read the notes on the cover... These are outtakes and tracks that didn't make it onto "Born to Run", so it's all kind of rough. 

My pressing of Born to Run also sounded terrible until I upgraded my Phono stage and got a tube amp... Then all of a sudden all the pieces started working together in a positive way. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

My pressing of Born to Run also sounded terrible until I upgraded my Phono stage and got a tube amp... Then all of a sudden all the pieces started working together in a positive way. 

Never listend to a Springsteen record that had a good sound engineering

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The distortion provided with a tube amp and phono Might make a Springsteen recording sound better but not better enough for me. Wouldn’t walk across the store to see his show. On the other hand it’s obvious he didn’t rely on my being a fan to cash $500M from Sony? - so he has that 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Never listend to a Springsteen record that had a good sound engineering

The few I liked were ok over the airwaves. Most of us have surpassed what's needed to get decent sound from some artists.

Steely Dan and the like plus other genres... some of us will never get the best sound out of those pressings!

*@richieb Went to his second sold out show when he did the Born in the USA tour. Only after talking to him for almost five minutes a few nights earlier. Liked some off of Born to Run, then Thunder Rd? and Jungleland from an earlier one. Nils Lofgren was with him that night and onstage both. Clarence Clemmons was probably still in his prime and was literally twice as big as me standing there.

It was a great show, just not my favorite music I had asked if he would do some early stuff he said yeah, and I enjoyed that part of it.

Now thirty years later I had a foot tall stack of his LPs find their way to me, and will only play a couple of `em.

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Bought a bunch of old records lately, the Springsteen LP being one of them. I guess this warrants getting a "Knosti" LP washer next. I think "dirt" accounts for some of he "distortion" here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

The few I liked were ok over the airwaves. Most of us have surpassed what's needed to get decent sound from some artists.

Steely Dan and the like plus other genres... some of us will never get the best sound out of those pressings!

*@richieb Went to his second sold out show when he did the Born in the USA tour. Only after talking to him for almost five minutes a few nights earlier. Liked some off of Born to Run, then Thunder Rd? and Jungleland from an earlier one. Nils Lofgren was with him that night and onstage both. Clarence Clemmons was probably still in his prime and was literally twice as big as me standing there.

It was a great show, just not my favorite music I had asked if he would do some early stuff he said yeah, and I enjoyed that part of it.

Now thirty years later I had a foot tall stack of his LPs find their way to me, and will only play a couple of `em.

I saw him live here in Belgium in Ghent, many years ago. I was seated high up and there, the sound was terrible, with the metal roofing vibrating with the music... But then Bruce sent the band off stage and what followed was 30 minutes of Bruce unplugged, going through his old catalog. I really enjoyed it. 

I've also listened to Springsteen's and Barack Obama's podcasts on Spotify, which is very informative. They are good friends and have a lot in common, for instance a messed up father son relationship. 

• Like 5

On 1/4/2022 at 6:46 PM, JohnJ said:

@Full Range the color just kills me on that mass produced one!

green pea baby ---- They could have made it darker and it would be an olive or army green.

I looked a couple years ago and the old ones that some of us have gotten rid of are the better ones.

Packed mine in these

PXL-20201128-000311429.jpg

Home Depot sells crates like that for $8.50 in black.  While the milk crates are just the right size to store LPs, over the years the plastic dries out and cracks.  Plastic isn't the "forever material" that we used to think it was.  Resin is even worse.  I got a white resin patio furniture type bench, and after a few years you could snap parts off it easily, just using your fingers.  Good thing it was only $5 from HD.

As for more traditional materials, you can get various kinds of wooden boxes now, but they're nowhere as heavy duty as the old Coca-Cola boxes.  Some of them are just stapled together, not even nailed.  I bought one of these new wooden LP boxes (nailed together) made of "salvaged" wood.  More like scrap wood, with knots and holes in it.  Even so, it looked better than plastic for the living room, and as well as holding LPs, it makes an ideal perch for the right subwoofer, matching the left sub, which is on a low table.

Having the subs about a foot above the floor, on thick neoprene pads, should reduce any floor bounce muddying the sound, plus it should prevent or greatly reduce any thudding bass notes going down through the floor to the neighbours below.  Sometimes I listen to music at really late hours, so it's a consideration.  The floor is thick concrete, but even so...

• Like 4

On 1/4/2022 at 1:01 AM, MeloManiac said:

Below is a picture of my collection of 'new' vinyl records I bought in the past two years. I have two more plastic boxes like this one. The second one is filled with my 'old' new albums, which I bought since the 1980s, and the third one is filled with second hand albums I bought in the local thrifstore in the past two years. Then there is a stack of LP boxes, because they don't fit in these plastic containers.

I also invested in plastic sleeves for all of my albums.

The thing is that I ran out of these plastic containers, and I don't think they 'll still have them in the shop where I bought them.

So I'm looking for advice on how to store my albums. I listen to them all the time, in my living room, and I have very little (or no) space for a LP storage cabinet. Please consider I'm living in Europe, shipping furniture or boxes from the US to the old continent costs a fortune (as it does from the UK now too...)

They seem to have quite a lot of things here: https://www.gear4music.be/nl/dj-apparatuur/vinyl-accessoires/vinyl-opslag but I have no idea what would be the best for me.

PSX_20220104_100203.jpg

Do you listen to all your records with about equal frequency?  Mine have sort of organized themselves into about three groups:  the ones I hardly ever play, which are a bit harder to reach, the main collection, which is alphabetically organized, and the "Top 40", which are the ones in heavier rotation.  They fit in a single wooden box, which is very easy to reach, and isn't organized at all, because it's so easy to flip through just 30 or 40 records, and sometimes while looking for one favourite, another one catches my eye and I decide to play it first.  That's the kind of little surprise that's enjoyable.

• Like 5

Hey @Islander look at those plastic crates a little closer. The good old milk crates from the 70s were not even tall enough to cover the covers. Those are 13.5" cubed inside so you can stack them. I was moving out when I took the pic.

Somebody posted about them here a couple years ago " S-Crates" they were $10 a piece when I got them. I can get about 100 in my cabinet then the others go in three 30" wide wooden crates that look better in the open. Did not want to haul the records in the good ones & the plastic ones will organize a closet sometime in the future.

Decoupling the sub from the floor is a great thing, play with that when ever you do the "sub crawl".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well my Luxman has a decent phono stage. Maybe as good as my NEC integrated had.

Between going in silence here when I like and then spinning, let's me know, if was ever any doubt, vinyl prefer. Hope your New Year going well for you and your music.

• Like 4

2.30 am here in germany ..can´t sleep so spinning some music

The Doors " Full Circle " 1972 , Electra Label , a production without Jim Morrison as he died in 1971 , not the same but the track " Verdilac " and " the bird song " are really great to listen to

doors.thumb.jpg.6a317cd4f75238f4dd7e14b484f466d9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1