Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

On 2/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, AndreG. said:

My vinyl debut with Genesis. Washed, but still crackles a bit here and there, can´t be helped. 😉

IMG_1992.thumb.jpg.dc2d89608739a328607c82c7b6fee246.jpg

Not sure. But i would of found trick of the tail as middle ground for genesis but then there were 3 is one of my personal favorites not the best

But lyrically away from hobbit themed lyrics

• Like 5

On 2/14/2022 at 2:31 AM, AndreG. said:

My vinyl debut with Genesis. Washed, but still crackles a bit here and there, can´t be helped. 😉

Sometimes records need a couple of washes 

I have been known to apply detergent by hand and let it sit as the dwell time softens any debris 

Then use either or both the Ultrasonic machine  or the vacuum RCM 

Even new records will have debris 

• Like 3

If you filed out a checklist for RSD just be aware you won't get any of them you like.  hahahahaha  They're getting all kinds of complaints from all over about the allocations to different areas so they're sending out the surveys to level out the deliveries.  Thunk on that one!  Hard to believe but look at the numbers of each and tell me about it  Ugh!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

For me, the best live album is Scorpions' Tokyo Tapes (1978). In the early 1980s, a friend had this record (I think it was his dad's) and recorded it for me on a tape cassette. It was my introduction to the Scorpions, and I have always considered it to be their best album. I think it is very hard to find on vinyl nowadays, unfortunately.

I was listening to a jazz show on Belgian national radio and it was about the new 1961 album of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (see below). In the program they tried to explain why so many great live albums have been recorded in Japan: the Japanese audience is completely unprejudiced and unbiased, and in the case of Art Blakey, they treated them as the geniuses they are (while in other parts of the world they were often the victim of racism back in 1961). This positivity has an impact on these artists and they give the best they can.

(read a bit more about this topic here: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/art-blakey-and-jazz-messengersfirst-flight-tokyo-lost-1961-recordings )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

For me, the best live album is Scorpions' Tokyo Tapes (1978). In the early 1980s, a friend had this record (I think it was his dad's) and recorded it for me on a tape cassette. It was my introduction to the Scorpions, and I have always considered it to be their best album. I think it is very hard to find on vinyl nowadays, unfortunately.

I was listening to a jazz show on Belgian national radio and it was about the new 1961 album of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (see below). In the program they tried to explain why so many great live albums have been recorded in Japan: the Japanese audience is completely unprejudiced and unbiased, and in the case of Art Blakey, they treated them as the geniuses they are (while in other parts of the world they were often the victim of racism back in 1961). This positivity has an impact on these artists and they give the best they can.

(read a bit more about this topic here: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/art-blakey-and-jazz-messengersfirst-flight-tokyo-lost-1961-recordings )

Steve Hackett and friends are doing the same time signatures

With some weight and power..

recordstore day

RECORD STORE DAY

MENU

RECORD STORE DAY 2022 > Steve Hackett - The Tokyo Tapes

418466435422:360

STEVE HACKETT

The Tokyo Tapes

DETAILS

Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2022
Release Date: 6/18/2022
Format: 3 x LP
Label: Esoteric Antenna
Quantity: 1500
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

MORE INFO

June 18th

A new limited edition re-mastered 3LP set exclusive to Record Store Day 2022 of Steve Hackett’s legendary “Tokyo Tapes” featuring John Wetton (King Crimson), Chester Thompson (Genesis, Frank Zappa), Ian McDonald (King Crimson) & Julian Colbeck
• Recorded live in Tokyo in 1996
• With three additional studio tracks
• Cut at Abbey Road Studios
• On white vinyl with printed inner bags

What would happen if occasional members of Genesis, King Crimson, Asia, Yes, Frank Zappa & Weather Report all got together to form a unique team for just one night?" - Such an event did take place in December 1996 in Tokyo, Japan when Steve Hackett gathered together a group featuring JOHN WETTON (Bass / Vocals), IAN McDONALD (Flute / Sax / Guitar / Keyboards / Vocals), CHESTER THOMPSON (Drums) and JULIAN COLBECK (Keyboards / Vocals) to perform a wonderful set that featured classic Genesis, King Crimson and Hackett solo tracks such as "Watcher of the Skies", "Firth of Fifth", "The Court of the Crimson King", Shadow of the Hierophant", "Los Endos" and many more. Esoteric Antenna are pleased to announce the first ever triple LP vinyl release of "THE TOKYO TAPES" exclusively for Record Store Day 2022. It includes a studio track not featured on the first release of the album, a version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" by STEVE HACKETT & JOHN WETTON, along with two studio tracks featured on the original 1997 CD release. This Record Store Day limited edition of "Tokyo Tapes" is the ultimate version of this classic live album.

Side One:

1. Watcher of the Skies
2. Riding the Colossus
3. Firth of Fifth

Side Two:

1. Battle Lines
2. Camino Royale
3. The Court of the Crimson King
Side Three:

1. Horizons
2. Walking Away from Rainbows
3. Heat of the Moment
4. In That Quiet Earth
5. Vampyre With a Healthy Appetite

Side Four:

1. I Talk to the Wind
2. Shadow of the Hierophant
3. Los Endos
Side Five:

1. Black Light
2. The Steppes
3. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

Side Six:

1. Firewall (studio recording)
2. The Dealer (studio recording)
3. All Along the Watchtower (studio recording)

PinExt.png

SPONSORS

• ADA
  • AENT
  • AMS
  • Concord
  • Crosley
  • DiskUnion
  • DFH
  • Furnace
  • Glowtronics
  • Ingram
  • INGROOVES
  • MBA
  • MVD
  • Orchard
  • Redeye
  • Sony
  • Think Indie
  • Tito's Vodka
  • Toyokasei
  • Traffic
  • Vans
  • Vinyl Styl
  • Virgin Music
  • WEA
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

No part of this site, recordstoreday.com, may be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner without the permission of Record Store Day.

For participation and sponsorship opportunites, please email information@recordstoreday.com
  • 2022 Copyright © RECORD STORE DAY
  • Website Platform by BROADTIME
  • Like 1