Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

8 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@GWSmith

I should mention that I do have the 1812 overture 

But from memory it is the choral version 

it’s on this box set from 1968 

https://www.discogs.com/master/985079-Various-The-Great-Russian-Composers

Paul, I found this forum discussing the original recording/pressing.  There are photos of the grooves of the cannon volley, I am sure you have never seen anything like it !   It is why my tables don't play it all the way through, the tone arm physically jumps around.  One fellow had to run over 2 grams to get through it.   You'll find it interesting.   Here is the link:https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=94805

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GWSmith said:

....and here is the offical vinyl cover art from the 1978 pressing.112812202415.jpg

When the 1812 was released, the cover read "Caution! Digital Cannons," and the interior of the booklet warned the listener that "the cannons of the Telarc 1812 Overture are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment." Reviewers also issued cautions: "Just be sure the volume isn't so loud that one of the shots spreads pieces of speaker cone all over your floor," (Digital Audio); and "Its peaks would crack your window panes and maybe your speaker cones, too." (Knight-Ridder Newspapers). The disc became Telarc's best-selling recording of all time, with over 800,000 copies sold, and for well over a decade has been the audio demo disc of choice.

source: https://www.vinylgourmet.com/en/music/1540-tchaikovsky-1812-overture-lp-180g-vinyl-cincinnati-symphony-orchestra-erich-kunzel-telarc-records-usa.html

Although the dynamic range on this disc sounds absolutely stupendous, it is only about 45dB between the softest and the loudest (bass drum) musical passages. This may seem absurdly low to those of us accustomed to thinking in terms of 110dB fortissimos, but it is roughly 15dB more dynamic range than is on the statistical average of symphonic LPs, and 5dB more than on any audiophile disc we have encountered! When we consider that a 10dB change sounds to our ears like a halving or doubling of volume, it is no wonder that this latest from Telarc sounds like such a blockbuster. Add to that the fact that the loudest parts are cut at extraordinarily high level (higher than on most 78rpm discs) for drastically reduced (by almost 10dB) surface noise, and it becomes obvious that this disc has established a new high for analog-disc information capability. The fact that it will reproduce throughout without breakup (by some phono systems, anyway) is in its turn a tribute to the advances in cartridge design in the past few years.

(...)

the hard-to-track cannon shots on analog are absolutely lethal on CD—though not hard to track! If your power amp is capable of ripping your woofers apart, the cannonshots will give it the opportunity to do so. Telarc's warning in the booklet (and on the album cover) should be heeded.

source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-october-1979-telarc-1812-overture

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

@GWSmith & @MeloManiac

I currently bidding on one now in NM condition but will be prudent with the price I’m willing to pay 

Should finish in 8 hours 

And be sure which version you have.  There are 3 (or more) !  Most likely one of the first two releases.  A-11 is the first and most dynamic, A-12 is the 're-adjusted' lower output edition according to what I read in those forums I sent along.   Was up AFTER 1pm reading through 5 years of the 1812 cannon subject!!!   You will find that number in the dead wax area.   

The last entry in the forum was Dec. 2021 and I intend on getting started again LOL.   The limited pressing from FIM productions is probably the most dynamic version according to the engineer.   That is the one Pezz and I have.

Reading through the forums also proved that MASS in the tone arms was the key to getting through the cannon volley and NOT the weight applied to the groove!   The idea is to get the cantilever to take the shock of the violent grooves!

I watched two close up videos within those forums that show the cartridge getting jolted pretty bad, very interesting to watch!

Will have to get a video of the Rega, it is a 12" arm I believe, so there is some mass there, it gets through most every one except the most difficult last blast.  The new U-Turn arm is very light and shorter, needless to say the arm actually gets bounced out into another bunch of grooves and just keeps repeating the sequence! 

Paul, send me a Pmail and let me know when you get a copy please.  

Thanks.    Oh, and I will be returning this evening for a few more spins on the new Orbit.   The 1812 may be on the docket, but I will switch over to the RP-6 for that one LOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GWSmith said:

And be sure which version you have.  There are 3 (or more) !  Most likely one of the first two releases.  A-11 is the first and most dynamic, A-12 is the 're-adjusted' lower output edition according to what I read in those forums I sent along.   Was up AFTER 1pm reading through 5 years of the 1812 cannon subject!!!   You will find that number in the dead wax area.   

This is the one 

Its on its way - but because it’s from overseas I need to wait 

https://www.discogs.com/release/2205254-Tchaikovsky-Cincinnati-Symphony-Orchestra-Erich-Kunzel-1812-Capriccio-Italien-Cossack-Dance-From-Maz

• Like 2

Good evening all !   Two of us will be syncing up some vinyl this evening in about 40 minutes at the TOP of the hour (from this posted time).  David Gilmour on the UTurn this evening.   I believe we are going to join Paul with some Bill Evans if we can dig up the same recordings, but surely Marillion is on the list.   Stand by for more 🍷IMG-0162.jpg

• Like 5

Hey Paul, perhaps you could join us next Sunday just before your lunch?  That would be after our BSO concert that we catch on Saturday evening here in the states.   Let me know and we'll all sync it up :)

Meanwhile, we got the Bill Evans at Shelly's going on now 🍷 IMG-0165.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Hey Paul, perhaps you could join us next Sunday just before your lunch?  That would be after our BSO concert that we catch on Saturday evening here in the states.   Let me know and we'll all sync it up :)

I will try 

Currently servicing a Seventh Day Adventist college 

And can’t work Friday sunset to Saturday sunset 

So Sunday morning is reserved for them 

• Sad 2