Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

22 hours ago, Mossy bottom said:

Time for my union mandated afternoon music break.

Fela Ransome Kuti & Africa 70.

The liner notes give the explanation for the title of the record...

"The men in uniform alleged I had swallowed some quantity of hemp.  My sh!t was sent for lab test. Result negative.  Which brings us to...

Expensive Sh!t. 1975

spacer.png

Don´t have the earlier productions, discovered Fela and his son Femi in the early 1990´tees . He has an interesting biography

Fela Aníkúlápó Kuti (born Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti; 15 October 1938 – 2 August 1997), also known as Abami Eda, was a Nigerian multi-instrumentalist, bandleader, composer, political activist, and Pan-Africanist. He is regarded as the pioneer of Afrobeat, an African music genre that combines traditional Yoruba percussion and vocal styles with American funk and jazz. At the height of his popularity, he was referred to as one of Africa's most "challenging and charismatic music performers".  described him as a musical and sociopolitical voice of international significance.

Kuti was the son of a Nigerian women's rights activist, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. After early experiences abroad, he and his band Africa 70 (featuring drummer Tony Allen) shot to stardom in Nigeria during the 1970s, during which he was an outspoken critic and target of Nigeria's military juntas.[4] In 1970, he founded the Kalakuta Republic commune, which declared itself independent from military rule. The commune was destroyed in a 1978 raid. He was jailed by the government of Muhammadu Buhari in 1984, but released after 20 months. He continued to record and perform through the 1980s and 1990s. Since his death in 1997, reissues and compilations of his music have been overseen by his son, Femi Kuti.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

OT

New pc is built, has been for days... getting win11 to half-way cooperate took two days. The software for the mb is so convoluted I had to wipe and re-do everything yesterday on a new ssd:blush:. The new motherboard has the best sound I've ever had on a pc. Roy Buchanan, Alan Parsons then Johnny Guitar with flat response just proved that to me! It's got the  Realtek S1220 with an ESS® ES9023P. SN out is 120dB, up to 32-Bit/192kHz!

In other words my sound just got upgraded. Will attempt the DTS software next.

Thanks for the great testing material!

Untitled.jpg

*stole that from Tweaktown's site

@Full Range I've got all of those except that particular Genesis... Good List from back then @MeloManiac

...back to our regularly scheduled programming

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

OT

New pc is built, has been for days... getting win11 to half-way cooperate took two days. The software for the mb is so convoluted I had to wipe and re-do everything yesterday on a new ssd:blush:. The new motherboard has the best sound I've ever had on a pc. Roy Buchanan, Alan Parsons then Johnny Guitar with flat response just proved that to me! It's got the  Realtek S1220 with an ESS® ES9023P. SN out is 120dB, up to 32-Bit/192kHz!

In other words my sound just got upgraded. Will attempt the DTS software next.

Thanks for the great testing material!

Untitled.jpg

*stole that from Tweaktown's site

@Full Range I've got all of those except that particular Genesis... Good List from back then @MeloManiac

...back to our regularly scheduled programming

indeed good news....because you still have to do without so much a better sound on the PC is really a good reason for joy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

indeed good news....because you still have to do without so much a better sound on the PC is really a good reason for joy

& that's without the drivers installed.

msft in their heralded wisdom:

does not allow the installation of drivers for our hardware included with said hardware by the manufacturer of the hardware anymore

prior to xxx79 it could be accomplished

GRRRR! no dts for me either

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Went thru that Alan Parson's lp again this evening and it really is one to grab.  It's that good!

No photo description available.

Here's the entire lp...  Crank it and smile!  

One note symphony is from the last studio album " The Secret " from 2019 by Alan Parsons and has completely passed me by

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

This reminds me of my childhood days. Growing up in Western Berlin, this was what my parents listened to on the radio, AFN Berlin & RIAS 2. My father liked Motown:

IMG_2039.jpg.00a5a41101e24fcc7e704eca7388a677.jpg

We all are lost in music .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I have lots of work on at the moment and short on time 

So this next record spin is a 12” single 

It’s Genesis meets Marillion 

Music is from the film 'Quicksilver'. 

Artist - Fish / Tony Banks

Title - Shortcut To Somewhere

https://www.discogs.com/release/1762470-Fish-Tony-Banks-Shortcut-To-Somewhere

3-AA840-F5-B600-404-E-B4-FA-3571-EED6-A0

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 3/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, MicroMara said:

Don´t have the earlier productions, discovered Fela and his son Femi in the early 1990´tees . He has an interesting biography

Fela Aníkúlápó Kuti (born Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti; 15 October 1938 – 2 August 1997), also known as Abami Eda, was a Nigerian multi-instrumentalist, bandleader, composer, political activist, and Pan-Africanist. He is regarded as the pioneer of Afrobeat, an African music genre that combines traditional Yoruba percussion and vocal styles with American funk and jazz. At the height of his popularity, he was referred to as one of Africa's most "challenging and charismatic music performers".  described him as a musical and sociopolitical voice of international significance.

Kuti was the son of a Nigerian women's rights activist, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti. After early experiences abroad, he and his band Africa 70 (featuring drummer Tony Allen) shot to stardom in Nigeria during the 1970s, during which he was an outspoken critic and target of Nigeria's military juntas.[4] In 1970, he founded the Kalakuta Republic commune, which declared itself independent from military rule. The commune was destroyed in a 1978 raid. He was jailed by the government of Muhammadu Buhari in 1984, but released after 20 months. He continued to record and perform through the 1980s and 1990s. Since his death in 1997, reissues and compilations of his music have been overseen by his son, Femi Kuti.

Thanks George,  I was introduced to Fela by a radio program on the public radio, called "Afro Pop Worldwide" around the same time you mentioned.  I have around 5 of his lp's.

I really like the long, live,  jams.  Great stuff!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's just wrong of Dave to send that erroneous t to you. :lol:

But the Pink Floyd.. That's an excellent version I'm sure you're aware Paul. The stickers on the dead wax are colored differently than the original too. And if any of Rush's releases need to be on heavy vinyl it's that one... or maybe their first *eight :rolleyes:

https://www.fiestabowl.org/sports/psfb/roster/46th-annual-game-2016/77

Oh wait that's not a goof t-shirt they didn't lose 31-0 to Clemson.

It was that freakish year with a Fiesta bowl on the first and the last days of the year. OSU was in both.

That DJ is a wily one!

Edited by JohnJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2