Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Always dug that one Mossy!

The ONE time I saw them mid 80s think they played the first 3 maybe the fourth at that show in Greensboro that we drove up from Atl with a pit stop in Clt on the way up. So glad I got to see Jerry, their shows were an experience like Pink Floyd... in a different way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Always dug that one Mossy!

The ONE time I saw them mid 80s think they played the first 3 maybe the fourth at that show in Greensboro that we drove up from Atl with a pit stop in Clt on the way up. So glad I got to see Jerry, their shows were an experience like Pink Floyd... in a different way!

Thanks, they were incredible.  I found folks either loved them or passed.  The first time I saw them was in the 70's.  I was disappointed.  But saw them again later in the year, I was blown away and hooked.  Saw them many times over the years.  I would see them two and three nights in a row, and never the same set lists.  I still have a lot of tapes of  shows from all over.  Still listen to them.  They were really easy to see before MTV.  I never had a problem driving to a city, going to the venue and getting a ticket hours before the concert.  Just walk around the parking lot with my finger raised.  After MTV, it  became damn near impossible and expensive.  

I never got to see Pink Floyd.  A huge disappointment.  I have no doubt  they were awesome live!

Cheers

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Early Pink Floyd. So far this one´s borderline for me, psychedelic is not my forte...

IMG_2058.jpg.0756d96373b471f205e25c976bf2d877.jpg

So, there are a few tracks that i coud enjoy after all. But the LP has been through a lot... camp fire - But i only paid three bucks for it. 

After that I playyed my Nectar LP again, I´ve washed a second time, after I filtered the cleaning fluid and got the fine dirt out of it. That one played nice and smoothe. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mossy bottom said:

Jerry Garcia Band - Electric on the Eel.  Recorded Live August 10th 1991

Side A, Set 1.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Mossy bottom said:

Thought I was going to listen to something different but JGB and GD are like potato chips...

This lp sounds so good!

Grateful Dead - Blues For Allah.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Mossy bottom said:

Thanks, they were incredible.  I found folks either loved them or passed.  The first time I saw them was in the 70's.  I was disappointed.  But saw them again later in the year, I was blown away and hooked.  Saw them many times over the years.  I would see them two and three nights in a row, and never the same set lists.  I still have a lot of tapes of  shows from all over.  Still listen to them.  They were really easy to see before MTV.  I never had a problem driving to a city, going to the venue and getting a ticket hours before the concert.  Just walk around the parking lot with my finger raised.  After MTV, it  became damn near impossible and expensive.  

I never got to see Pink Floyd.  A huge disappointment.  I have no doubt  they were awesome live!

Cheers

3 hours ago, Mossy bottom said:

Bob Weir - Blue Mountain

spacer.png

• Like 6

Here we go after two weeks of just in and outta here!  Haircut, Dentist who is 1:30 one way, my lil local eye Mama then back to the BIG eye Mama down the road an hour each way.  Whining?  You bet your sweet bippy I am.  THEN it happened!  Grandpa has to spend the ENTIRE weekend with both grands.  Nope can't come to my house cause they're bored here.  Gimme a bullet!  😂

Not in any order but a few new ones w/my thoughts.  You can sort it cause I'm going to bed!  Yes, another long road trip again today.  Scratch one off the bucket list is all I'm sayin...  lol  Tell ya later!  :)

Can't remember if I posted this or not but I do know I posted the one with the Israeli Philharmonic.  I actually purchased another copy of the same show in the Netherlands.  That's the great thing about touring.  EVERY venue is different.  Yup it's a great copy too.  Maybe it's just Parsons resonating again.  😂

IMG-20220331-163156842.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Electric Light Orchestra's Eldorado?  Well, Jeff Lynne wrote the entire album then produced it sooo IF ya love Jeff Lynne you're in like Flynn.  See that funny I did?  It's a Mofi numbered recording so it does sounds pretty sweet.  

IMG-20220405-234219244.jpg

Ni Ni!  :)

• Like 4

International Record Store Day has Oneida County roots. Which Utica shops inspired it?

Mike Jaquays
Mid-York Weekly USA TODAY NETWORK

View Comments

Utica Free Academy class of 1987 graduate and South Utica native Chris Brown recalled riding his bike to Record Giant in the days of his youth. He also has fond memories of shopping at Last Unicorn and Record Realm to add to his vinyl collection.

"My idea of what a record store should be came from those three stores," he said.

Brown is now the chief financial officer of Bull Moose Music in Portland, Maine. He is also famed as the original inspiration, along with Criminal Record's Eric Levin, of the international Record Store Day holiday.

An inside look of Off-Center Records at 116 Bleeker St in Utica on Friday, April 1, 2022.

Record Store Day was pitched in 2007 at a Baltimore gathering of independent record store representatives to share and celebrate the excitement of their record store community. The first Record Store Day was April 19, 2008.

"I wanted to get the message out that there was a real party going on at record stores," Brown recalled.

Today, there are Record Store Day events at stores on every continent except Antarctica, according to the official RSD website. 

Record Store Day returns April 23, featuring limited vinyl releases to commemorate the holiday. Oneida County record stores are getting in on the fun with their own festive activities.

John Keller at Off-Center Records in Utica has been in business for 30 years and has half a million records in stock on three floors. He hesitates to call the recent surge in sales a "return" for vinyl.

"They've never stopped making records, even when CDs were riding high," Keller said, noting he sells 50 records to every one CD at his shop. "They never went away."

New entertainment venue: State Bridge Collective opens in Oneida County

Under new ownership: Quaker Acres show field reopens in Madison County

Morgan Darling of Dolgeville made a recent visit to Keller's shop with grandmother Angela Belcher of Salisbury Center. Darling admitted it was her first trip to Off-Center Records, as she was just starting her own vinyl collection. Listening to Belcher's record collection as a child is a fond memory, Darling said.

"She used to play records and they had such a beautiful sound," Darling, who was on the lookout for records by the Misfits and Danzig that day, said.

"If you get a clean record on a good machine there is still really nothing that sounds better," Belcher assessed.

Kathy Dunn at Music and More Records in New Hartford started the business with her late husband, Rob Dunn, back in 1988. She and her Yorkshire Terrier mascot Keifer look forward to welcoming music fans — especially people new to shopping for vinyl — for the latest Record Store Day.

"I feel this is a draw for the younger generation," Dunn said. "It is not so much about the products but about raising awareness of what independent record stores have to offer."

She stressed that regardless of what she orders for the event, retailers really have no control over what they receive because of the limited quantities available. All items will be sold first come, first served with no reservations of particular titles, Dunn said. Customers are welcome to call her in advance to see if a record was received to avoid disappointment after waiting in line that day, she added.

Hop into spring shopping: Spring Shop Hop kicks off season for collectibles dealers

Relics of the past: Fryer Museum commemorates days gone by in Stockbridge Valley

Michelle and Scott Havens at Reimagine Records in New Hartford have been in business eight years. Michelle said Scott is the audiophile of their partnership, while she is more about all the memories vinyl brings back to her. And she loves sharing those memories with their customers.

"I like when people come in here and hang out for a while with us," she said. "I always wanted a store where people felt comfortable coming in. I think our customers have really become our friends."

For more information on the event, find the individual stores on Facebook or visit recordstoreday.com.

Even as record buyers once again celebrate Record Store Day across the globe, Brown said the inspiration for the event will always be found in the fond memories of those three old record stores back home.

"This is all about showing people what's fun about record stores and reminding people about what's fun about listening to records and Utica will always be an important part of the origin of Record Store Day," he explained.

Mike Jaquays is the community news reporter for the Mid-York Weekly. Email him at mjaquays@gannett.com.

View Comments

• Thanks 3

Hmm, this may be something a little bit more "obscure". By Stevie Wonder:

IMG_2060.jpg.e55c19b729e7f287190e745725887952.jpg

This one´s really made with disc-changers in mind, thick rims, disc A with sides one and four and disc B with sides two and three. So, order of playing is: Disc A, Side one - Disc B drops down - side two, turn Disc B over - side three, remove disc B, turn over disc one and play side four.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1