Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

7 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

International Record Store Day has Oneida County roots. Which Utica shops inspired it?

Mike Jaquays
Mid-York Weekly USA TODAY NETWORK

View Comments

Utica Free Academy class of 1987 graduate and South Utica native Chris Brown recalled riding his bike to Record Giant in the days of his youth. He also has fond memories of shopping at Last Unicorn and Record Realm to add to his vinyl collection.

"My idea of what a record store should be came from those three stores," he said.

Brown is now the chief financial officer of Bull Moose Music in Portland, Maine. He is also famed as the original inspiration, along with Criminal Record's Eric Levin, of the international Record Store Day holiday.

An inside look of Off-Center Records at 116 Bleeker St in Utica on Friday, April 1, 2022.

Record Store Day was pitched in 2007 at a Baltimore gathering of independent record store representatives to share and celebrate the excitement of their record store community. The first Record Store Day was April 19, 2008.

"I wanted to get the message out that there was a real party going on at record stores," Brown recalled.

Today, there are Record Store Day events at stores on every continent except Antarctica, according to the official RSD website. 

Record Store Day returns April 23, featuring limited vinyl releases to commemorate the holiday. Oneida County record stores are getting in on the fun with their own festive activities.

John Keller at Off-Center Records in Utica has been in business for 30 years and has half a million records in stock on three floors. He hesitates to call the recent surge in sales a "return" for vinyl.

"They've never stopped making records, even when CDs were riding high," Keller said, noting he sells 50 records to every one CD at his shop. "They never went away."

New entertainment venue: State Bridge Collective opens in Oneida County

Under new ownership: Quaker Acres show field reopens in Madison County

Morgan Darling of Dolgeville made a recent visit to Keller's shop with grandmother Angela Belcher of Salisbury Center. Darling admitted it was her first trip to Off-Center Records, as she was just starting her own vinyl collection. Listening to Belcher's record collection as a child is a fond memory, Darling said.

"She used to play records and they had such a beautiful sound," Darling, who was on the lookout for records by the Misfits and Danzig that day, said.

"If you get a clean record on a good machine there is still really nothing that sounds better," Belcher assessed.

Kathy Dunn at Music and More Records in New Hartford started the business with her late husband, Rob Dunn, back in 1988. She and her Yorkshire Terrier mascot Keifer look forward to welcoming music fans — especially people new to shopping for vinyl — for the latest Record Store Day.

"I feel this is a draw for the younger generation," Dunn said. "It is not so much about the products but about raising awareness of what independent record stores have to offer."

She stressed that regardless of what she orders for the event, retailers really have no control over what they receive because of the limited quantities available. All items will be sold first come, first served with no reservations of particular titles, Dunn said. Customers are welcome to call her in advance to see if a record was received to avoid disappointment after waiting in line that day, she added.

Hop into spring shopping: Spring Shop Hop kicks off season for collectibles dealers

Relics of the past: Fryer Museum commemorates days gone by in Stockbridge Valley

Michelle and Scott Havens at Reimagine Records in New Hartford have been in business eight years. Michelle said Scott is the audiophile of their partnership, while she is more about all the memories vinyl brings back to her. And she loves sharing those memories with their customers.

"I like when people come in here and hang out for a while with us," she said. "I always wanted a store where people felt comfortable coming in. I think our customers have really become our friends."

For more information on the event, find the individual stores on Facebook or visit recordstoreday.com.

Even as record buyers once again celebrate Record Store Day across the globe, Brown said the inspiration for the event will always be found in the fond memories of those three old record stores back home.

"This is all about showing people what's fun about record stores and reminding people about what's fun about listening to records and Utica will always be an important part of the origin of Record Store Day," he explained.

Mike Jaquays is the community news reporter for the Mid-York Weekly. Email him at mjaquays@gannett.com.

View Comments

I am already on the way .....hopefully I will be on time

926907265_aufdemwegsein.gif.ffb8ed0cdb77e81ae2cc4e399b94a988.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Now spinning the next LP - new to the collection 

This record needs no introduction 

Artist - Rush

Title - 2112

Album ID - https://www.discogs.com/release/12403279-Rush-2112

This Re Issue has 2 stars etched in the dead wax and they spin with the record 

Excellent dynamic record and dead quiet 

4381-C876-95-F6-4-F5-B-8-FE3-C68770-A3-D

9-F68-FA25-BF91-48-FE-B239-4-DB50-E617-E

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Good Evening to you @Full Range You got the holo to come through the pic, sometimes that's hard to do.

It's almost not even fair to compare a good analog recording to digital media... isn't it? B) 

Shine a light - get the right angle and take photo 

No problem 

That pressing is DMM and sounds fantastic 

Direct metal mastering (DMM) is an analog audio disc masteringtechnique jointly developed by two German companies, Telefunken-Decca (Teldec) and Georg Neumann GmbH, toward the end of the 20th century after having seen the same technology used by RCA Princeton Labs for its SelectaVision videodiscs in the late-1970s.

Records manufactured with this technology are often marked by a "DMM" logo on the outer record sleeve. Many current production high quality pressings, as well as standard production LPs from the 1990s, only indicate its use by inscribing "DMM" in the lead-out groove area of the disc.

• Like 3

:laugh: I couldn't hold a flashlight in one hand and work the phone at the same time quite right. I've got the same pressing and know it's wonderful! Happy Belated Palm Sunday to you if you're not on the Orthodox one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good evening one and all !   Checking in for a bit of a Sunday night session here on Spinning Vinyl.   Feeling in a prog rock mood, and decided to give this absolutely beautifully packaged box set of Yes' UNION TOUR LIVE !  3 discs, 180 gram.   I have only played this once when I ordered it back 7 years ago and I just looked at the cost  ($70!),  giving it another listen...........WONDERULLY recorded concert.  Here are some photos just taken for you all.IMG-0342.jpg

Rear cover....IMG-0343.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yea just love Prog 

@GWSmith

Update - Some frustration with the Tchaikovsky 1812 record from overseas 

Cancelled by seller weeks after purchase 🙁

Anyway I have found another locally but not sure of the actual pressing until I see the runout inscription 

Filling in gaps in the collection with 6 more pre loved purchases 

Will spin them when they arrive 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Side E and F spinning now.............it is a fine Sunday evening here in Longfellow Music Hall 1, and at the conclusion of this disc, I will head off to sleep and hope to return again soon!   Enjoy your evening/day.   Until next time.   Good night for now.  🌙IMG-0350.jpg

• Like 3

Yea, had to keep up w/Full Range when he broke out all his beautiful solid state gear.  I scratched an itch I'd had since these came out.  Too pricey back in the day.  I had a big Marantz and I was never home enough to truly enjoy it.

This is the second Mac 4100 receiver I've seen my auctioneer post in the past 2-3 months so I caved.  Got it at a great price but it was on a shelf in some old guy's 3 car garage full of junk.  I also got a Sony cd player and Teac cassette deck as a bonus.  It was powering a pair of old Zenith Allegro box speakers from the 60's or so.  I just laffed and brought it home.  Wiped an inch of dust off and fired it up.  Could push it and leave it alone but I'll drop it off to the Mc tech a couple hours away.  For what I payed it's the least I can do.  Sounds great on my old Heresy right now!  :)

Yea, this one's on you @Full Range!  ALL your fault. 😂

IMG-20220408-191347194.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Sometimes one needs to go back in time of our youth ( even though we still think we are 21 ) 

So I will take responsibility for that and also say 

Happy listening 

61DB40B5-4BA9-4E1D-A948-616612714FB3.jpg

Black is Beautiful or Back in Black?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Yea, had to keep up w/Full Range when he broke out all his beautiful solid state gear.  I scratched an itch I'd had since these came out.  Too pricey back in the day.  I had a big Marantz and I was never home enough to truly enjoy it.

This is the second Mac 4100 receiver I've seen my auctioneer post in the past 2-3 months so I caved.  Got it at a great price but it was on a shelf in some old guy's 3 car garage full of junk.  I also got a Sony cd player and Teac cassette deck as a bonus.  It was powering a pair of old Zenith Allegro box speakers from the 60's or so.  I just laffed and brought it home.  Wiped an inch of dust off and fired it up.  Could push it and leave it alone but I'll drop it off to the Mc tech a couple hours away.  For what I payed it's the least I can do.  Sounds great on my old Heresy right now!  :)

Yea, this one's on you @Full Range!  ALL your fault. 😂

IMG-20220408-191347194.jpg

This old stuff definitely has a cool factor to it... I´m always torn.... But I guess, in the end it will be a newer Yamaha amp for me, once I have the bucks to spare. 

• Like 5

The coolness factor is there alright but the thing is that Mac sound.  Kinda fun actually cause I'm saving tube life.  😂 I haven't really logged much time on these new Gold Lions in the Primaluna yet.

These Heresy's just cook now.  NO ONE on the planet better than PWK in my opinion.  They sound amazing!

ALWAYS have to have a battle plan when it comes to those "extra" speakers sittin around  :) 

First thing my buddy said?  Where are the green lights?  Seriously?  Have another beer and relax.    😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1