Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

There were good reviews on both so I went w/the VPI because I knew their turntables seemed to be well liked and respected.  The VVPI was impressive outta the box but in time it was an epic engineering fail imo. 

When the vac comes on it's so strong it slams everything downward on the album.  Impressive but...   Just my opinion though.  There is a spring to buffer it but it's too weak to do any good.  They have an answer for that too though.  You can purchase the entire arm assembly for $150.  Seriously?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

Wassa matter @KROCK?  You don't like it bone dry?  Then you just put it away when your done  :)    Wet and sloppy take longer to dry before you put it away!  Ya have to wipe it off.  That's outta my job description! :)      😂😂😂

I use The vinyl vac attachment after I ultra sonic my LP's. Will out perform any such black box out there.

The best thing is; My kids think I'm nuts.🤷‍♂️

• Haha 5

As I was listening to U2's The Unforgettable Fire yesterday, several ticks, pops and scratches triggered 'total recall' of some memories of 30 some years ago... You won't have that with pristine, lossless digital files, now do you!

(the title of this video is misleading)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

As I was listening to U2's The Unforgettable Fire yesterday, several ticks, pops and scratches triggered 'total recall' of some memories of 30 some years ago... You won't have that with pristine, lossless digital files, now do you!

I can't remember any U2 vinyl pressing that has ever been of good quality.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Finally some down time!  Beautiful cooler day here in the hood.  This kid's out and killin it everywhere he goes.  Take notes. 

@Marvel "our" lil girlfriend Molly Tuttle is runnin with him on this one sooooo...  :)

A great double gatefold album with both lp's a "moovin."   Great presentation and production ALL the way through.  Even tossed in a couple poduction tricks that will slay ya!  :)

Home is the fourth studio album by American bluegrass musician Billy Strings, following Turmoil & Tinfoil and preceding Renewal. Released in 2019, the album stayed on the Billboard Bluegrass Albums chart for 77 weeks, peaking at number one and being the first studio album by Billy Strings to do so.[1] The album was titled Home simply for the fact that Strings was starting to "feel at home" in his Nashville residence and in the music industry at the time of the album's release.[2]

The album earned Strings his first Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards in March 2021.[3] His song "Taking Water", one of the tracks on the album, was performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live!.[4]

@Marvel American singer-songwriter Molly Tuttle gave background vocals on "Must Be Seven". The lead track on the album, "Taking Water", focuses on groups of people being "left behind in society", while "Away From The Mire" focuses on what Strings states was "personal stuff between me and a family member".[  

IMG-20220602-115226279.jpg

A great double gatefold lp with both lp;s a "moovin."  Great presentation and production ALL the way through.

Double thumbs up!                             It'lll get ya and THAT just doesn't stop.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION:  How long does it take for your mind to shift gears from bluegrass & Billy Strings to Chuck Berry "Toronto Rock n Roll Revival from 1969?

ANSWER:  About an nono-second  :)  imo.

"1969 Chuck Berry @ the Toronto Rock n Roll Festival from 1969"  20k people ALL in 12 hours at a festival?  

Put and eyeball on this list.  The Doors as the headliner played LAST!  Imagine THAT!

I rest my case your honor this LP WILL kick their butts!  :)

The Toronto Rock and Roll Revival was held at Varsity Stadium, at the University of Toronto, before an audience of over 20,000. The originally listed performers for the festival were Whiskey Howl, Bo Diddley, Chicago, Junior Walker and the All Stars, Tony Joe White, Alice Cooper, Chuck Berry, Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Milkwood (Toronto-based Polydor recording artists),[2] Doug Kershaw, and The Doors. Kim Fowley was listed as the Master of Ceremonies.[3] Screaming Lord Sutch was later added to the bill, as was the Toronto area band Flapping. Prior to the addition of Flapping, the only local band on the bill was Whiskey Howl. The appearance of John Lennon, Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band was not publicly known in advance.

Various mutually supportive performances occurred at the festival. The Alice Cooper Band was the backing band for Gene Vincent,[4] while a member of Flapping, Ron Marinelli, Danny Taylor, and Hugh Leggat a member of Nucleus, were members of the backing band for Chuck Berry.[5] In addition, appearances at the festival served to revitalize the careers of certain performers from the 1950s. For example, according to one reviewer, in relation to Little Richard's performance:

...he and his extremely tight band proceeded to tear through his classics at breakneck speed. With sweat gushing down his heavily made up face, he jumped on the piano and drove the young crowd crazy, exhorting them to get up and dance to blazing numbers like 'Rip It Up', 'Good Golly Miss Molly', and 'Jenny, Jenny'. By the time he finished racing through the closing notes of his 'Long Tall Sally' finale, he was sopping wet with his shirt torn to shreds by the crowd below. In 30 frenetic minutes Little Richard had just made his comeback."[6]

The Doors, as the headlining act, closed the show. The band's appearance at the 1969 festival would be their last appearance in Toronto, prior to the 1971 death of Jim Morrison.

IMG-20220602-131225527.jpg

This one WILL have you shufflin right outta the room.  

IMG-20220602-132139594-HDR.jpg

A double thumbs up?  Why?  Look at that playlist.  Schhhiiiit it's good.  Billy who back there?

Prove me wrong!  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm starting to feel like a truck driver.  ALWAYS shifting gears.  Why Not?  Truth be known I'm still singin "My Ding-a-ling"  Classic!  😂

Monolith of Phobos is the debut studio album by The Claypool Lennon Delirium, consisting of American multi-instrumentalists Sean Lennon and Primus's Les Claypool, released on June 3, 2016.[1]

IMG-20220526-210304767-HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:19 PM, Dave1291 said:

There were good reviews on both so I went w/the VPI because I knew their turntables seemed to be well liked and respected.  The VVPI was impressive outta the box but in time it was an epic engineering fail imo. 

When the vac comes on it's so strong it slams everything downward on the album.  Impressive but...   Just my opinion though.  There is a spring to buffer it but it's too weak to do any good.  They have an answer for that too though.  You can purchase the entire arm assembly for $150.  Seriously?

Dave,

I've had mine for years.  When I was looking for a record vac system there were only two choices, Nitty Gritty and the VPI.  There may have been more but I wasn't aware of them.

I went with VPI based upon a recommendation of a friend who had a side DJ business. Through the years it has worked well enough for me.  The points you raised are right on.

I think I paid around 8 hundred bucks when I got mine.  I know it has paid for itself based upon used records I paid little for, and have brought back to life.

spacer.png

This day and age I'm impressed with a few of those ultra sonic record cleaners, but at this stage of my life, I don't see replacing the VPI.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@Mossy bottom  Hi Mossy, welcome back , just a quick chim´in from me to say HELLO to you, nice to see that you´re back. Just woke up , it´s 6:33 am here , will be a busy day today ..gonna see you soon again . Best to you George 

Hello George,

Thanks for the Hello.  Enjoy your day, and I look forward to your next music selection and photos.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

On 5/27/2022 at 12:45 PM, MicroMara said:

It´s about the whole cartridges, you were right Melo . If you wanna catch some , don´t know which one can be used in your Technics Linear Tracking Arm , or your the Pro-Ject TT . You may find out. I give you two links where you can find some of them . These german Cartridge companys deliver within europe. Be sure , best value for your bucks ....

https://www.thakker.eu/

https://www.hifi-phono-house.de/

The stylus that came with my used Technics SL DL1 (€75) was skipping tracks from time to time lately, so I cleaned and re-lubricated its rod, which dealt with the issue. But it made me realize I should perhaps buy some backup needle, advice I got here a while ago from somenone, so I ordered a 'Swiss made' EPS 23 CS needle at thakker.eu (directly, not using amazon). It took about a week to get from Germany to Belgium. 

It's really easy to install: pull out the old one, put in the new one.This is the entry level needle and costs €26.5, postage included. It sounds fine, perhaps slightly better than what I had already: the high frequencies are better, while it is robust in the lows too. It certainly beats my modern €400  'flashy hipster' Pro-ject Essential III George Harrison edition with an Ortofon OM10 ((€49)

I know my Technics SL DL 1 is mediocre compared to some of the stellar vintage gear around, but it's fun spinning vinyl and achieving a pleasing sound with a limited budget.

Is a further upgrade possible? According to @MicroMara, there is: buying the shibata stylus (€159), the SAS (Super Analog Stylus) naked shibaty stylus boron cantilever ((€249), and ultimately the Naked Diamons SAS-on-Sapphire stylus (€359). https://www.pickupnaald.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=technics+sl+dl1

These Jico needles have a pretty good reputation. https://www.jico-stylus.com/

I guess this will be my upgrade path, but first I'm going to enjoy these entry level needles for a while!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying spinning vinyl in the company of Sakuma-san (see video below).

PSX_20220603_190859.jpg

PSX_20220603_172807.jpg

• Like 7

@MeloManiac  Hi Melo , the netherland PickupNaald Shop I know as well , good shop good offerings available there. Don´t forget ..An investment should always be in proportion to the product, so if you plan another Ugrate I would not buy the most expensive needle. You have already improved with the Technics that now plays above the Pro-Ject, that counts !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey George, I've got a 45 LP made after Unforgettable that sounds very good.

But I happen to think their first three or four that are flawless sound great to me. Yea sparse and unrefined, I call it raw and unfiltered! Better sound than a garage or a basement full of teens! Unless it was these teens or a couple other specific groups

• Like 2

Crashed at 2AM and the dude that seals my driveway shows up at 6:30 this morning?  I didn't hear a thing til the cell started blowing up @ 7:30. 

His mom is on the phone w/a wake up call to tell me he's ready to seal so if i want the car out to back it out.  I then asked her if it was as good for her as it was for me last night.  Known them forever and the kid is running the business while they live in Florida?  So she was cracking up.  Another long distnce love affair I guess.  I'm grounded til this evening's jam nite.  

May as well get ready.  The hood is a rockin!

I'm not 'splainin squat...  You KNOW what they sound like or you wouldn't be here!  😂

Donald_Fagan_-_Night_Fly.jpg

Dialin in the ears, which are complete w/hearing aids.  Suffer if it's too loud for ya!  😂

Keb__Mo__-_Good_to_Be_-_2022_Limited_Edi

NO side 4 get's me EVERY time!  Gonna have to have a talk w/him about it!  hahaha  Like he cares?  :)

Hot vinyl from the chicken coop!  Man what an album!  

IMG-20220603-164825600.jpg

Enjoy!  

Ahhhh, I'm OUT!  Got hit a little league game then it's off to jam nite!  Play nice tonight!   :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3