Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Just a little vibe photo of the listening space during the playback for you all.  The only problem with this recording?, not long enough!, I wanted to hear more :blush: Cheers my friends, until the next time.   Enjoy your music.  :emotion-29:IMG-0418.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Just a little vibe photo of the listening space during the playback for you all.  The only problem with this recording?, not long enough!, I wanted to hear more :blush: Cheers my friends, until the next time.   Enjoy your music.  :emotion-29:

We missed you mate 

But we welcome you with open arms when you return 😎

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GWSmith said:

...recordings done this way are rare, PERIOD !  IMG-0417.jpg

Hello Garry , welcome back . Nice those Sheffield Records. It´s a famous label known for it´s first class audiophile quality standards  .

For all that never heard anything about this label ...please read further ......

https://sheffieldlab.com/

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

Hello Garry , welcome back . Nice those Sheffield Records. It´s a famous label known for it´s first class audiophile quality standards  .

For all that never heard anything about this label ...please read further ......

And Garry 
@GWSmith

Not sure of the name but I remember reading several years ago about a revival of the single microphone recordings 

I think it was called Binaural Beats or similar 

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

They are on Spotify also! 

I like this recording a lot:

Screenshot_20220619_104415.jpg

• Like 2

BOOM!  Ray Charles, Richie Fury, Tokyo & Paul Butterfield are on the way!  Now IF my table was up...  No way are any of them going down til I get that issue taken care of.  Yes, more piles.  Sure glad I got two cd's in that Asia Budokhan box.  Patience  is a virtue?  Grrrrrrrr  The one who always thinks things through sure blew it on that Thorens cart.  Not the first time but...  😂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Salut,

@ GW Smith 

Doug Sax preferred MM cartridges, it's two preferred cartridges were the Stanton 881S and the Audiotechnica AT-ML170. Doug Sax say  “I like moving coils . . . in other people’s systems.”

I think the modern cartridge that most closely resembles what he liked and the Audiotechnica VM540ML or VM740ML, you have to load them well at 100 to 200pF. Unfortunately the Stantons are no longer manufactured.

You know that the ML or Stereohedron and fine line styli protect better and wear less discs like your precious Sheffield than the elliptical of your 2M blue.

https://www.magneticfidelity.com/sax.shtml

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/two-moving-magnets-and-a-moving-iron

Mines

626568836_DSC_0943(2)-Copie.thumb.JPG.df1b1a46605eac606778e0b6bcea8d05.JPG

2061198562_DSC_0182(2).thumb.JPG.f476718e0f34e9be3fa7881d10b2c9ad.JPG

😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Salut,

@ GW Smith 

Doug Sax preferred MM cartridges, it's two preferred cartridges were the Stanton 881S and the Audiotechnica AT170ML. Doug Sax say  “I like moving coils . . . in other people’s systems.”

I think the modern cartridge that most closely resembles what he liked and the Audiotechnica VM540ML or VM740ML, you have to load them well at 100 to 200pF. Unfortunately the Stantons are no longer manufactured.

You know that the ML or Stereohedron and fine line styli protect better and wear less discs like your precious Sheffield than the elliptical of your 2M blue.

https://www.magneticfidelity.com/sax.shtml

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/two-moving-magnets-and-a-moving-iron

Mines

626568836_DSC_0943(2)-Copie.thumb.JPG.df1b1a46605eac606778e0b6bcea8d05.JPG

😉

still waiting for my Stanton 681 EEE , what an shipping audysee. From Bukarest to Berlin, than returned to Bukarest , shipped again to Berlin, was forgotten to be shipped further to my hometown, has now lain there for 1 week, today I was told that I will finally receive it this week .

Stanton.thumb.png.ae698179714efdd94cd08869f896a1c0.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

@dirtmudd and @Full Range 

The long-awaited 32-disc boxed set of Robert Fripp in the studio and in concert 1977 - 1983 will be released on 27th May 2022. The set will feature many previously unreleased tracks, outtakes and rarities as well as a number of tracks appearing on CD for the first time. The largest in the series, Exposures is the ninth boxset release collecting King Crimson / Robert Fripp material from 1969 to 2008............

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/robert-fripp-exposures-32-discs-boxed-set-robert-fripp-studio-live-1977-1983

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Doug Sax preferred MM cartridges, it's two preferred cartridges were the Stanton 881S and the Audiotechnica AT170ML. Doug Sax say  “I like moving coils . . . in other people’s systems.”

I may have mentioned this in the past 

But I have both of those cartridges and Doug Sax has a good ear 🤘

I currently use the Stanton 981 LZS 

The 881 in my cartridge collection is the Pickering XSV3000 version 

D01-B0-FA3-FD83-4805-8-DF0-389-FAE6-AA9-

• Like 4

Michael Fremer

This morning, I was a little bit in shock when I read that Michael Fremer is leaving analogplanet.com 

What?! Michael Fremer IS analogplanet!

Read about it here: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/welcome-analog-planet-20#comment-585186

After some  google use, I found his new project: https://trackingangle.com/

You can add your name and email to a mailing list. I've done that already.

In his own words: 

TrackingAngle.com is the new online home of the pioneering 1990s print magazine The Tracking Angle I edited and produced in partnership with Nick Despotopoulos and David L’Heureux.

I will leave AnalogPlanet at the end of June, 2022 to launch this new venture and bring with me to TrackingAngle.com my talented writing staff as well as introduce to you some new contributors—and watch for the new TrackingAngle YouTube channel.

Reuniting with Nick and David, we will continue to produce the Internet’s most comprehensive reviews of recorded music and affordable audio equipment, with a focus on analog playback. In addition there will be new features and other content focused on the worldwide vinyl resurgence.

If you don't know Michael Fremer, you must be a Martian... , but here is his first 'new' video:

• Thanks 5

I have a question on Left/Right channel separation.

I recently bought a new pickup needle for my Technics SL DL1, and I have noticed that the Left/Right channel separation is much greater than before. The sound seems to come from the further left of my left speaker, and from the further right of my right speaker. (I hope you get what I mean with this).

When comparing a song on Spotify (eg Hotel California), with my vinyl record playback, the difference is quite remarkable, and even upsetting. On Spotify, the singer's voice is in de middle, on the front, while on vinyl it is in de middle, but in the back. The difference is so huge, it is kind of confusing, and it makes me wonder which of both the original artist intented...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

I have a question on Left/Right channel separation.

I recently bought a new pickup needle for my Technics SL DL1, and I have noticed that the Left/Right channel separation is much greater than before. The sound seems to come from the further left of my left speaker, and from the further right of my right speaker. (I hope you get what I mean with this).

When comparing a song on Spotify (eg Hotel California), with my vinyl record playback, the difference is quite remarkable, and even upsetting. On Spotify, the singer's voice is in de middle, on the front, while on vinyl it is in de middle, but in the back. The difference is so huge, it is kind of confusing, and it makes me wonder which of both the original artist intented...

Good Morning Melo , if the channel seperation isn´t correct you need to re-align the Azymuth balance from the whole cartrige at the position where it is fixed in your tangend arm, it must be very well balanced . Another option is that the needle slot doesn´t fit perfect into the cartridge. Or you may check the cable connections from the pick up . Have a look at these three possible option. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

289132088_575964900763150_91246029046634

Thank @dirtmudd Garrard 401 😍 

I immediately recognized the tray stroboscopic of the 401

And then rummaging on the net I found the complete composition of his Hifi system

https://www.facebook.com/1494806090596307/posts/jimi-hendrix-audio-equipment-circa-196667-in-his-london-flat-his-record-collecti/1870652716344974/

☺️

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Good Morning Melo , if the channel seperation isn´t correct you need to re-align the Azymuth balance from the whole cartrige at the position where it is fixed in your tangend arm, it must be very well balanced . Another option is that the needle slot doesn´t fit perfect into the cartridge. Or you may check the cable connections from the pick up . Have a look at these three possible option. 

Well, I checked everything, and gave it a good clean too, and I think there's nothing wrong with the needle etc.

I'm currently listening to Talk Talk's It's my Life on vinyl, and it sounds just fine!

So I think the mixing/mastering of the vinyl record of Hotel California is quite different compared to what Spotify is streaming (a re-master?).

PSX_20220623_180048.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1