Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

@MeloManiac They had developed optical cartridges also

The Japanese manufacturer DS Audio offers with the DS-E1 the cheapest entry into the world of its internationally highly acclaimed photo-optical cartridge systems. Considering that a high-quality, optimally adapted phono preamplifier is included, the price charged is tantamount to a small sensation.

Conversion with light
The DS-E1, which weighs 8.1 grams, uses the same technology as its "big brothers", i.e. an LED light source, highly sensitive photosensor technology combined with a tension wire construction and a sturdy, torsion-free aluminum housing. The record is scanned using an aluminum needle carrier and an elliptical-cut diamond. The manufacturer specifies 1.6 - 1.8 g as the optimum support weight for the system.

Supply unit
The phono equalizer, called EQ unit, amplifies the delivered signal from the cartridge and also provides the necessary supply voltage. At the output RCA jacks of the phono preamplifier is with over 500 mV sufficient voltage for direct operation at a high level input of preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers. By the way, the DS Audio E1 operates in analog mode throughout.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@MeloManiac They had developed optical cartridges also

The Japanese manufacturer DS Audio offers with the DS-E1 the cheapest entry into the world of its internationally highly acclaimed photo-optical cartridge systems. Considering that a high-quality, optimally adapted phono preamplifier is included, the price charged is tantamount to a small sensation.

Conversion with light
The DS-E1, which weighs 8.1 grams, uses the same technology as its "big brothers", i.e. an LED light source, highly sensitive photosensor technology combined with a tension wire construction and a sturdy, torsion-free aluminum housing. The record is scanned using an aluminum needle carrier and an elliptical-cut diamond. The manufacturer specifies 1.6 - 1.8 g as the optimum support weight for the system.

Supply unit
The phono equalizer, called EQ unit, amplifies the delivered signal from the cartridge and also provides the necessary supply voltage. At the output RCA jacks of the phono preamplifier is with over 500 mV sufficient voltage for direct operation at a high level input of preamplifiers or integrated amplifiers. By the way, the DS Audio E1 operates in analog mode throughout.

So there is no magnet, but the stylus movement is scanned optically, and then converted to electric pulses? 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-54-ds-audio-ds003-optical-cartridge-emia-lundahl-koetsu-sculpture-step

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

So there is no magnet, but the stylus movement is scanned optically, and then converted to electric pulses? 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-54-ds-audio-ds003-optical-cartridge-emia-lundahl-koetsu-sculpture-step

Hi Melo , these are the information I found ....

Shading plate made of beryllium

The shading plate, an extremely thin light-tight plate, corresponds to the coil (MC) or magnet (MM) in conventional systems. Due to the newly developed separate light systems for right and left, the shape of the shading plate could be changed and significantly reduced in size. Together with the change from Alumium to Berryllium, the weight was reduced by an incredible 50%. This is less than 1/10 of the weight of a normal coil of a MC pickup!

Pickup
A diamond with line contact cut on an aluminum needle carrier is responsible for the direct pickup. The recommended tracking force is 2.1 g and the system weight is 7.7 g. Another improvement concerns the internal wiring of the DS-003, a factor 1.6 reinforced internal wiring provides a lower impedance and thus an improved current flow.

ds003.thumb.jpg.d4d0ae1fac0c1eed4c9b369686ff0499.jpg

Equalizer- Amplifier unit
The elaborate housing with the well-formed and milled from solid front panel gives the device an elegant look and noble feel. Internally, a new reinforced circuit board with double cross-section traces is used. This reduces impedance, improves current flow and minimizes interference. For the output signal, both unbalanced RCA and fully balanced XLR outputs are available.

177888338_dsoo3wandler.thumb.jpg.2dac7eff233b62229e0f4bf758f08fe8.jpg

Moving mass
One of the main advantages of DS-Audio optical cartridges is their extremely low moving mass. This is significantly lower than that of conventional MC cartridges. This increases the sampling capability and fine resolution and thus the naturalness and clarity of the playback.

Lenz's rule
Lenz's rule states that the magnetic field of a coil set up by the induced current acts against the current flow. This is called electro-motive force (EMF) and in this particular case "counter-EMF". This highly undesirable but unavoidable effect affects both MM and MC cartridges, but not DS-Audio's optical cartridges .

RIAA equalization
While with all classic pickups the generated output voltage increases proportionally to the speed of the needle movement, a voltage independent of the frequency is applied to the DS-Audio optical systems. This means that a very simple passive RIAA equalization is sufficient, which manipulates the output signal as little as possible.

Amplification

A conventional phono preamplifier must amplify the very low output signal of, for example, an MC cartridge by a factor of up to 1000; here the amplifier unit for the DS-Audio optical systems is content with a factor of 10. This is a not insignificant reason for the extremely low distortion values of the DS-Audio cartridges.

Well the classic Cartridge technologie´s development steps into a new dimension . Quiet interesting imo. 

• Like 5

Looks like the revision of my Dual 1218 will take even longer. There´s a spring missing and the platter bridge is damaged. The later wouldn´t inhibit playing, but the changing-function will not work. 

The spring i must replace. No changing? I can probably live with that. Of course it would be nice to have it all working...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Follow up: Put my problems up on the Dual Forum. That spring might not be that important after all, there were units with and without it shipped.

I might get a spare platter bridge, a guy will take a look at his spares box. 

And while I´m waiting for the parts:

IMG_2202.jpg.6790ddae1856169b1fe8d9ab42e05957.jpg

Got the 1214 running again! oiled the bearings in the motor, now it´s quiet again. When putting it back together, there was a point where the mechanics locked up, somehow i fixed that. Pitch gave some trouble, fixed that (almost, will have to look at that idler wheel again... Not sure, but I think it´s off-key sometimes... So, might be slipping just a little bit sometimes...).

Now, test-run. Put in that new stylus I got some time ago. Playing "Breakfast in America" - side A for the second time, with the new stylus now.

The old one definitely was worn out, the heights sounded a little "frayed"...

• Like 6

Screenshot_2022-06-26-21-10-02.thumb.png.7fdc0f204e98a89699be8d8e72115415.png

8 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Follow up: Put my problems up on the Dual Forum. That spring might not be that important after all, there were units with and without it shipped.

Got the 1214 running again! oiled the bearings in the motor, now it´s quiet again. When putting it back together, there was a point where the mechanics locked up, somehow i fixed that. Pitch gave some trouble, fixed that (almost, will have to look at that idler wheel again... Not sure, but I think it´s off-key sometimes... So, might be slipping just a little bit sometimes...).

Now, test-run. Put in that new stylus I got some time ago. Playing "Breakfast in America" - side A for the second time, with the new stylus now.

The old one definitely was worn out, the heights sounded a little "frayed"...

https://doctordual.ca/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next to music/Klipsch, one of my other passions is Japanese anime movies. My latest acquisition is 'Belle'. See trailer below. 

Animation is beautiful, at times photo realistic. Early on, there is a shot of a listening room, with a turntable, cd player and a serious looking amplifier. Two floorstanding speakers as well. And lots of vinyl records. 

I was kind of hoping the gear would be 'identifiable'... 

Anybody any ideas? 

PSX_20220629_073057.jpg

PSX_20220629_073039.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:06 AM, dirtmudd said:

Yep, that´s the "big brother" to my two units. Would like to have one, later. Right now, prices for these are going through the roof these days, same as the direct driven Duals. But i still have a PE2020 that I have to fix as well.

New platterbridge arrived yesterday, kudos to a member on the Dual forum, who has lots of spare parts.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, AndreG. said:

The old one definitely was worn out, the heights sounded a little "frayed"..

One of my regrets in life: last time I moved, back in 2008, I doubted about what to do with my Dual TT and amp, which I had owned since I was a student all the way back to 1989. Because the amp no longer worked I decided to bring them to the dumpster at the recycling park. 

😭😭😭

• Sad 3