Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

27 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Ok John....what I have found is no changes, just smooth sounding (what ever that means :lol:)  But, I was hearing some microphonics from one channel, located the source, and replaced the 'singing' valve :smile:, that amp is completely silent now thank goodness!

that´s the way it is , the build in standard chinese tubes aren´t the best , tuberolling is a must after buying a chinese product .

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

that´s the way it is , the build in standard chinese tubes aren´t the best , tuberolling is a must after buying a chinese product .

Well, I am totally happy with it so far, and glad it was an easy find (microphonics).  However, I won't fault the amp OR it's very fine build quality because of one input tube.  I could really get started on the difficulties I have had with my Rega P6 to get that corrected, and it still has some negatives.  That cost MORE then the R8 :lol: !  Good 'ol UK product. 

It is sometimes difficult to find 'perfect', no matter the cost OR country of origin. :emotion-29:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Well, I am totally happy with it so far, and glad it was an easy find (microphonics).  However, I won't fault the amp OR it's very fine build quality because of one input tube.  I could really get started on the difficulties I have had with my Rega P6 to get that corrected, and it still has some negatives.  That cost MORE then the R8 :lol: !  Good 'ol UK product. 

It is sometimes difficult to find 'perfect', no matter the cost OR country of origin. :emotion-29:

these 6SL7 were pre-stage tubes without bias aligment ? 

1 minute ago, MicroMara said:

that´s better gary ...

Thanks George.  I wanted to let you know, that I also played with the speaker toe in today.  I did find what I remembered from a couple weeks ago when I first set them up.

It is important to me that the image cover the full width of the seating area (three persons wide sofa).  I did toe in and started to notice the beaming of the high frequencies....oh boy!   Then, the image was only good at my center seat.  I moved over to the right seat and all I could hear was the sharpness of high frequencies from the light cymbal hits in that David Gilmour LP.  

The left channel was weak sounding when sitting to the right.

I moved them back to straight ahead and the balance return across ALL three seats, and the 'beaming' effect was also gone.

My room is long, so this tends to be different from other rooms where the seating is closer and the room is filled with furnishings, which as you see, Music Hall is pretty wide open :smile:.  Well, I gave it the college try for you and is what seems to work best in my big rectangle :biggrin2:.

I am streaming different music right now, but will return later this evening (you may still be awake?) and we can spin up more good music on the table. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good evening everyone.  Time to get back in the listening seats.  Memory lane for this old guy!  I listened to this recording on cassette in my brand new 1973 Oldmobile over and over again while driving around town.

When CDs came out, I lusted for this to come to the digital format.  It NEVER did (Mike, you are GOLD if you find it !!).  So, in recent times 50 years later, I decided to see if I could get a vinyl copy.  Well, thanks to eBay, I got one sealed.

Listening now, remembering my early 20ies :smile:.  The orchestrations are first rate!

Sound track to 'Friends', music by Elton John / Bernie Taupin - A Paramount Picture 1971

Released in 1978 on Pickwick.  IMG-2110.jpg  

• Like 4

Ok, the Friends LP has concluded.......I am going to stream some music from my Qobuz account and then head off to bed for the evening.   Annual doctor checkup tomorrow early in the AM.   See you all right back here in the afternoon or later evening.

Good night from LFMH#1  :sleep:   🌙

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GWSmith said:

Good evening everyone.  Time to get back in the listening seats.  Memory lane for this old guy!  I listened to this recording on cassette in my brand new 1973 Oldmobile over and over again while driving around town.

When CDs came out, I lusted for this to come to the digital format.  It NEVER did (Mike, you are GOLD if you find it !!).  So, in recent times 50 years later, I decided to see if I could get a vinyl copy.  Well, thanks to eBay, I got one sealed.

Listening now, remembering my early 20ies :smile:.  The orchestrations are first rate!

Sound track to 'Friends', music by Elton John / Bernie Taupin - A Paramount Picture 1971

Released in 1978 on Pickwick.  IMG-2110.jpg  

i did a quick look see dont remember if they had it

• Thanks 1

My wife plays the cello and her instrument was built in 1907 in Paris and was restored before we bought it some years ago, in 2018. Since then, she has upgraded some strings and then upgraded the comb to a professional one. (Some may not know this, but the comb on a cello is held in place by the strings, it is not glued onto the cello!)

Today, we upgraded the strings to some of the best availabe. I had given her the set back in July, for her birthday, but only today, with the assistance of her teacher, she put them on and played on them. First in the classroom, then at home.

These upgrades have an amazing impact on the sound quality. The strings are labeled 'strong', which means they play loud, but at the same time - and this is a bit counter-intuitive - they also sound much more subtle, sweeter, whoolly, sophisticated etc.

See any parallels with upgrading audio gear? 😉

PSX_20220923_204543.jpg

IMG-20220923-WA0013.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

These upgrades have an amazing impact on the sound quality. The strings are labeled 'strong', which means they play loud, but at the same time - and this is a bit counter-intuitive - they also sound much more subtle, sweeter, whoolly, sophisticated etc.

I can bring only one up.

My old Heresy II, my Forte IIIs and the 1990 LaScala I almost bought have a higher sensitivity than my newest Klipsch RP-600M IIs.

The sensitivity of the little ones isn't that much lower. The larger Heritage can reproduce low volumes with the same "ambience" as with more wattage to them. The small ones, not so much.

& some trivia: A company called Magnacor here makes the best ignition wires!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

My wife plays the cello and her instrument was built in 1907 in Paris and was restored before we bought it some years ago, in 2018. Since then, she has upgraded some strings and then upgraded the comb to a professional one. (Some may not know this, but the comb on a cello is held in place by the strings, it is not glued onto the cello!)

Today, we upgraded the strings to some of the best availabe. I had given her the set back in July, for her birthday, but only today, with the assistance of her teacher, she put them on and played on them. First in the classroom, then at home.

PSX_20220923_204543.jpg

IMG-20220923-WA0013.jpg

Sure thing, the comb is held by the tension of the strings themselves.   They have been known to slip during a performance!  😥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

George, I don't call my listening space 'Music Hall' without reason ;).  You may want to ask your bride what she knows of Tanglewood here in the States where I work for the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  Some of the worlds finest musicians have emerged from the Tanglewood Music Center campus here in MA.  IMG-2113.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1