Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

I did a bit more research on the wonderful recording quality of Bill Evans Trio's 'Waltz for Debby'. Together with 'Bill Evans Trio live at the Village Vanguard' and 'Explorations', it forms a trilogy. Like most, if not all Riverside albums, the recording is of the highest quality. The set became legendary because of its sound quality, and also because the bassist, Scott LaFarro, died 11 days later, in a car crash.  You can buy a box with The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 also, if you like. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Village_Vanguard_Recordings,_1961 

The recordings are lauded for their excellent quality: excellent bass, clarity, left/right channel separation etc. If you don't know it already, you should listen to it now! This is a live recording, and you can actually hear the people talk, drink and their glasses!

Dave Jones was the recording engineer, and he is often credited for being responsible for 'some of the finest jazz recordings ever'. The weird thing is that after these recordings, he simply disappeared. Some say he became a worker for the National Post Service (!). He used good quality recording gear, and really good microphones, but the few pictures of him that exist, show a very messy setup! I found the pictures below HERE (Stephe Hoffman forum). The picture with the recording machines was uploaded by Chris Albertson, who also so took the picture. This was not at the Vilage Vanguard, btw. 

The second picture shows Bill Evans, with a member of the public in the foreground, whose glass plays a prominent role in the recording!

dave jones.png

biev2.jpg

And I just had to add this video too:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

Hey Mike @dirtmudd, hey George @MicroMara , finally I got this one! 

And it won´t be the last of U.K. for me! 😉 😄

That won’t be to hard to get the complete output Andre 

They only released 3 albums

1 in 1978 - Your copy UK

and 2 in 1979 - Danger Money and the Live album Night After Night 

I have all 3 and all worth it 🤘

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

52 minutes ago, Full Range said:

1 in 1978 - Your copy UK

And if Bruford and Holdsworth

is you thing..

Bill Bruford

Bill Bruford is a British drummer. He appeared with Allan on three studio albums: "Feels Good To Me" and "One Of A Kind" by the band Bruford, and the self-titled album by U.K..

https://fingerprintsweb.net/ahwiki/index.php?title=Bill_Bruford

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

1 in 1978 - Your copy UK

11 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

And if Bruford and Holdsworth

is you thing..

Bill Bruford

Bill Bruford is a British drummer. He appeared with Allan on three studio albums: "Feels Good To Me" and "One Of A Kind" by the band Bruford, and the self-titled album by U.K..

https://fingerprintsweb.net/ahwiki/index.php?title=Bill_Bruford

8 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

I bought mine dec.21rst. 1979 , so close to 43 years ago ! Suppose @AndreG. was right 😂

I guess it's time for are meds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:09 AM, MeloManiac said:

I did a bit more research on the wonderful recording quality of Bill Evans Trio's 'Waltz for Debby'. Together with 'Bill Evans Trio live at the Village Vanguard' and 'Explorations', it forms a trilogy. Like most, if not all Riverside albums, the recording is of the highest quality. The set became legendary because of its sound quality, and also because the bassist, Scott LaFarro, died 11 days later, in a car crash.  You can buy a box with The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 also, if you like. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Village_Vanguard_Recordings,_1961 

Just a heads up- I ordered this 3x CD box from Amazon last August.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Village-Vanguard-Recordings-1961/dp/B000AMJEKA/ref=sr_1_2?content-id=amzn1.sym.f03eb388-6553-42c1-88e5-7e00d0e3d16b&keywords=bill+evans+vanguard&pd_rd_r=f78e45ad-6e39-4559-81d5-c2bd0be17909&pd_rd_w=QMzPG&pd_rd_wg=BWtgF&pf_rd_p=f03eb388-6553-42c1-88e5-7e00d0e3d16b&pf_rd_r=GCYQ3PEHZHRH6K9H1KSS&qid=1672443528&sr=8-2

It had a 1 second glitch on one disc, I returned it but so did the replacement. They said keep it. I don't recall where the dropout is but it's really not a dealbreaker. It's possible current ones don't have it either. If you like Bill Evans, it's very good.  I also couldn't beat the final price.

Edited by amped
I forgot to mention mine are CD's.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Playing now as I post 

UK / A short-lived English supergroup founded in 1977 by John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Eddie Jobson and Allan Holdsworth. For the second and last studio album, Holdsworth left and Bruford was replaced by Terry Bozzio. They were active between 1977 - 1979, 

Releases in order

1978 UK,

1979 Danger Money,

1979 Night After Night Live 

7-DAA934-E-A5-D2-4-E40-98-C1-C41-AEE97-C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Blaze of Glory is the tenth studio album by English rock and roll singer Joe Jackson, released in 1989. Jackson has stated that the album and the songs themselves were an examination of his generation as the 1980s were ending, ranging from the optimism of the 1950s ("Tomorrow's World") to the politics of terrorism ("Rant and Rave") and the Cold War ("Evil Empire"), to yuppies ("Discipline") and rockers who are well past their prime ("Nineteen Forever").The title track compares the legacy of a classic rock musician who died young ("...went out in a blaze of glory") with the current wannabes ("They're just cartoons" who "think they're Superman" but "can't even fly").

Although Blaze of Glory was a modest seller, the resultant single "Nineteen Forever" reached No. 4 in the US Hot Modern Rock Tracks charts. Jackson felt the album was one of his best efforts and toured to perform and support it with an eleven piece band in the U.S. and Europe from June to November 1989, and was disappointed with both the critical and commercial reaction as well as his record label's lack of support.

All I can say ..it´s a great album from him !

jjackson1.thumb.jpg.7b96593d395db16dd859c66f0dd1fce2.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Although Blaze of Glory was a modest seller, the resultant single "Nineteen Forever" reached No. 4 in the US Hot Modern Rock Tracks charts. Jackson felt the album was one of his best efforts and toured to perform and support it with an eleven piece band in the U.S. and Europe from June to November 1989, and was disappointed with both the critical and commercial reaction as well as his record label's lack of support.

All I can say ..it´s a great album from him !

IMHO, Joe never received the recognition he deserved for his abilities. On my play list regularly.

• Like 3

Guitarist Jan Akkerman, best known for his work with the Dutch band Focus (Hocus Pocus), live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland on 7/07/1978. After leaving Focus, he continued as a solo musician, adding jazz fusion influences.

Band Members:
Jan Akkerman - Guitars
Jasper Van't Hoff - Keyboards
Cees Van Der Laarse - Bass
Bruno Castelucci - Drums
Tom Barlage - Saxes & Keyboards
Willem Ennes - Keyboards
Neppe Noya - Percussion

jan1.thumb.jpg.37f51aba4354d528a8099b86fe7740f4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1