Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

Time to get back to work!  Into the handy-dandy "Indie-Exclusive" pile last nite and went with this just for a listen.  Basic warm up to catch ya on side 1, cold side 2, warmin ya up for the kill on side 3 and 4 knockin it outta the park.

Knopfler always shines w/the Straits but the nice twist on this one is the Bob Ludwig mastering with the cut by Bernie Grundman.   "Portobella Belle" is a nice cut though.  It's good and does the job imo but a $45 price tag?  If ya don't have much Dire Straits then maybe.  I shoulda watched me thinks.  :)  Been there?  😂

20230111-172352.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

My replacement came with a "boatload" of vinyl that replaced a few of mine. Some of my oldies are the best/most clean  I have too. Managed to keep me busy doing ultrasound cleaning for about six months. Kept my idle time occupied while handling something really difficult for that year for mom.

Ended up with a truly MINT Boston-Boston first release & NM King Crimson-Court of the... first rel. too. Some ~rare late sixties releases and a half dozen quads. Zeppelin II and some others that were in noticeably thicker cardboard, differing art & printed sleeves instead of the blank white. Replaced a couple dozen either LPs or covers and tripled the collection.

Ejected the ones not fit for being under that new-then cart. Miss `em but have youtube!

Noise?                                         What noise?

Records don't have to make surface noise, they make music. If you can treat them right, refurb if need be...

There are no snaps crackles or pops in my vinyl. It's "Inconceivable" the number of times I've seen threads lamenting the venerable vinyl that this thread is all about!

If only cd's had been out for all those keggers and other times!!

"I Pity the Fool" that thinks pops and such are a part of the vinyl experience.

Need.                                                                              more.                                                                         coffee.

Sounds like your boat load of vinyl was full of gold.  Very nice.  But I agree, regarding vinyl being noisy.  Fortunately I started really taking care of my records in the 80's.  The 70's however were a different story.  I was hard on them.  In the eighties I bought a nitty gritty record cleaning machine.  It was a bit pricey back then, but really was worth it for the long haul.  I believe I got my VPI RCM in the early 2000's.  I've been looking at the ultra sound cleaners.  They make far more sense to me as a better way to clean vinyl.  When I have folks over, and they want to hear my stereo, they are almost always amazed at how quiet the vinyl is.  They only seem to remember records with all sorts of snap, crackle, and pop. That's fine for rice crispies, but not for records.  Cheers! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never played much of my 60's and 70's lp's cause I had the 45's.  A pita but I loved playing them and listening.  Some of my stuff is a bit nasty but very little actually.  That VPI works fine for me.  The ultra sound with the neo magnets didn't play well w/my pacer.  Don't need that goin on too.  lol  

Thinkin outta the past now and I just played this one last night for the first time.  Think I had this on cassette years ago.  Johnny Dawson Winter & the Progressive Blues Experiment.  Yup, he can shred!  :)

20230111-190317.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

I never played much of my 60's and 70's lp's cause I had the 45's.  A pita but I loved playing them and listening.  Some of my stuff is a bit nasty but very little actually.  That VPI works fine for me.  The ultra sound with the neo magnets didn't play well w/my pacer.  Don't need that goin on too.  lol  

Thinkin outta the past now and I just played this one last night for the first time.  Think I had this on cassette years ago.  Johnny Dawson Winter & the Progressive Blues Experiment.  Yup, he can shred!  :)

20230111-190317.jpg

Nice selections Dave.  Another guitarist I was so bummed when he passed.  I always had so much fun at his concerts.  It didn't matter if he was opening for someone, or the headliner, he would shred that guitbox.  I need to play some JW.  Thanks!

• Like 4

Darn Dave, you're getting sideways into my wallet again.

But do I buy that in some 180 gram specialty vinyl? & play it in Juvember?

Or get a cheap cd or those J cds that get me to wait for them a month to the east coast?

The DJ strikes again.

headbang.gif

• Haha 5

Finished up the evening enjoying the boys.  $30 and I'd do it again.  

"If the world is headed for a fall, as is foreseen here...  It might as well go down in the most luscious live-tracked stereo civilization has ever achieved."  Rolling Stone

Killer!

20230111-194923.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For the passing of a great artist 

RIP Jeff Beck 

Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer live 

0-A913998-9158-4-D94-BFAB-04-FCBF66-E842

https://www.discogs.com/release/1291111-Jeff-Beck-With-The-Jan-Hammer-Group-Live

and 

Part of the Amnesty International line up on The Secret Policeman’s “other” Ball 

471-EC414-6-E1-C-426-B-BC7-B-9-A9-F9-D65

https://www.discogs.com/release/5450072-Various-The-Secret-Policemans-Other-Ball-The-Music

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

23 hours ago, Full Range said:

For the passing of a great artist 

RIP Jeff Beck 

Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer live 

0-A913998-9158-4-D94-BFAB-04-FCBF66-E842

https://www.discogs.com/release/1291111-Jeff-Beck-With-The-Jan-Hammer-Group-Live

and 

Part of the Amnesty International line up on The Secret Policeman’s “other” Ball 

471-EC414-6-E1-C-426-B-BC7-B-9-A9-F9-D65

https://www.discogs.com/release/5450072-Various-The-Secret-Policemans-Other-Ball-The-Music

Excellent Full Range!

I forgot about The Secret Policemans other Ball.  Great choice!

Cheers!!

spacer.png

• Like 4